Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Deluxe 2015

DarkStar679

I've seen a video about the Deluxe 2015 with mini Humbucker and Booster.

I liked that sound of that guitar and purchased one.

I must say, excellent craftsmanship, all details very nicely made not to say, a great sound on my Marshall amp.

I like the g-force system, as I can down tune quickly for a new song, or just control if the guitar is still in tune.

I've bought a G-force for my Gibson SG as I like it so much. Now two guitars with quick tuning system.

I'm still wondering why many don't like these guitars?

Is there a reason, as these mini Humbuckers sound so great and strong, especially when played loud.

28576011_1647738458594655_8127686604390557555_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=37f2c2e1b3120f810966ad0930d5222a&oe=5B9165E2

The most important thing is that you are happy with the guitar. Everyone else's opinion should matter much less than yours when it comes to making the purchase, unless there is a fundamental design flaw or poor craftsmanship that you need to be informed about.

For me, I've never been a fan of mini-humbuckers, so I would always go for the Traditional or Standard models. There were a lot of features in 2014/2015 that people didn't like though, not particular to the Deluxe model.

As for G-Force, I didn't appreciate not having the option on most models to stick to the manual tuners. And just about that time, I was searching for my first LP. When I thought about all the guitar-heroes I looked up to over the years, I couldn't remember any of them using a G-Force system, and because of that I couldn't pull the trigger on one of the 2014/2015 models. Not for my first LP.

That being said, I like how Gibson has reserved the G-Force tuners for the HP models, and think they go quite well with those guitars. Now that I already own a 'traditional' LP, I am very open to purchasing another one with G-Force as it looks very convenient.

Hi

I have one, a Goldtop just like yours. I love mine and have gotten used to the GForce, it definitely has its advantages. I replaced the brass nut with a graph tech one that made a tremendous difference. I like the wider neck, the minis, and the switch is a great feature too. Great quality guitar

I must say, excellent craftsmanship, all details very nicely made not to say, a great sound on my Marshall amp.

I like the g-force system, as I can down tune quickly for a new song, or just control if the guitar is still in tune.

I've bought a G-force for my Gibson SG as I like it so much. Now two guitars with quick tuning system.

Is there a reason, as these mini Humbuckers sound so great and strong, especially when played loud.

I'm glad you enjoy it! Different people like different things. I think in general, when someone wants to buy a Les Paul, they want the classic late 50's, 1960 humbucker sound. To a lesser extent some want the P90 LP. This is not to say the deluxe models are not good. The fact that they've been rereleased a few times goes to show there is definitely a market for them.

Enjoy!

Hi

I have one, a Goldtop just like yours. I love mine and have gotten used to the GForce, it definitely has its advantages. I replaced the brass nut with a graph tech one that made a tremendous difference. I like the wider neck, the minis, and the switch is a great feature too. Great quality guitar

Can you describe the difference of your graph tech nut?

I do have a titan nut that came from Gibson as a replacement, but at the moment I find no need to replace the stock brass nut as it looks so nice.

28576011_1647738458594655_8127686604390557555_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=37f2c2e1b3120f810966ad0930d5222a&oe=5B9165E2

I think that year the Classics had 3 knobs and switch in place of the other knob. Man that Crayola LP100 script was really a bad choice. Looks like a drunk toddler scribbled it.

2015 Gibson guiars are fantastic, the woods are high grade, inlays are made of real mother of pearl (not acrylic) and the finish is perfect.

The 2015 neck profile is very comfortable imho.

I paid my 2015 SG Standard 850 €uros brand new, no regret.

I didn' t like the stainless steel nut so I switched with an adjustable Graphtec nut, nice vintage traditional look

sg_sta29.jpg

sg_sta35.jpg

Hi Darkstar

The original brass nut was terrible. The movement of the strings wore grooves in it and the guitar wouldn’t stay in tune. I leliterally could. It play the guitar and was going to give up on it.

Gibson did send me a new but made out of a different material. However, I found out about the Tusq nut and ordered one. It was easy, fit perfectly and completely changed this guitar for me.

It stays in tune forever, the GForce works perfectly and the Tusq nut will not wear out.

Perfect.

Hi

I’m sorry, automatic spellcheck killed that message.

The original brass nut wore down from the GForce creating grooves in it. I loved the feel and sound out of the deluxe but it became impossible to keep I tune, the grooves made the GForce unusable.

The Tusq nut is perfect, strings slide really easily over each groove and it will never wear out.

I was ready to give up on the guitar though I loved the feel and sound of it. The Tusq nut completely changed it and was the perfect answer

I didn't want robot tuners (and what about the truss rod when you tune down), especially ones that malfunctioned for so many, I didn't want the neck width changed, and the brass nut was a spectacularly bad idea. Stores hated that they couldn't sell too many.

But not one - not even ONE! - person put a gun to my head and said, "buy, or else!". (Which they kind of did to the retailers, mind you.)

Great to hear you're happy with your guitar. That's all that matters.

And to illustrate how all us guitar players are affected by cork-sniffing elitism, I'll let you in on a secret:

I've SEEN a 2015 with G-force tuners. I've READ the complaints. Have I ever played one, even ONCE?

What, are you kidding me? Of course not!

So just because I've played guitar for a long time (and I really should be better), I feel entirely justified in ripping on guitars I haven't even held in my hands.

Food for thought.

Or, to summarize: if you like it, great. F...k everyone else.

I didn't want robot tuners (and what about the truss rod when you tune down), especially ones that malfunctioned for so many, I didn't want the neck width changed, and the brass nut was a spectacularly bad idea. Stores hated that they couldn't sell too many.

But not one - not even ONE! - person put a gun to my head and said, "buy, or else!". (Which they kind of did to the retailers, mind you.)

Great to hear you're happy with your guitar. That's all that matters.

And to illustrate how all us guitar players are affected by cork-sniffing elitism, I'll let you in on a secret:

I've SEEN a 2015 with G-force tuners. I've READ the complaints. Have I ever played one, even ONCE?

What, are you kidding me? Of course not!

So just because I've played guitar for a long time (and I really should be better), I feel entirely justified in ripping on guitars I haven't even held in my hands.

Food for thought.

Or, to summarize: if you like it, great. F...k everyone else.

Reeeeelax... we're just talking guitars over here. Either you like them or you don't, which it sounds like you don't. No need to swear, anyone who asks you to try one just wants your honest opinion of something new, and nothing else. No one is going to force you to buy what you don't want.

Reeeeelax... we're just talking guitars over here. Either you like them or you don't, which it sounds like you don't. No need to swear, anyone who asks you to try one just wants your honest opinion of something new, and nothing else. No one is going to force you to buy what you don't want.

I'm plenty relaxed. You completely misinterpreted my post. What I meant by it was... well, the OP asked why a lot of people seems to dislike the 2015 line. I stated my reasons, then pointed out that who cares what ANYONE's reasons are, as long as he's happy with his guitar?

Go back and read my post again, dude :)

I don't think anyone (particularly) "hated" that model, per se', as much as many disliked all the "odd," things Gibson spec's had, that particular

year. Some of which didn't even make sense, given past history. SG's having "Les Paul's" shaky signature, on the headstock, for one example! Les

wasn't a fan, of the SG (Les Paul), when it was introduced, in 1961, and had his endorsement removed, due to that, and some other reasons. So...???

2015 turned out to be Gibson's worst sales year, in a LONG time, due to "Henry's Follies," so players/buyer's were heard, and the next years were

somewhat better, even if they weren't particular "barn burners," that's for sure.

So, as has been stated, if you find one, or have one you like, that's really all that matters.

Cheers,

CB

People are quick to say they "hate" something when it's really merely preference. There are a few features of the 2015 models that I do not like (automated tuning, and the awful Les signature), one that I think is truly terrible (adjustable nut), but that's it. The slightly wider neck gets lots of criticism for reasons I cannot begin to fathom, since it seems just fine to me. That's the only feature of this year's production that is not easily changed, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. My guess is that most players have never really used a Deluxe and so think of them as inferior to HB models (rather than somewhat different, but great) and simply never give them a chance. Too bad. These are excellent guitars!

The other thing is the "uniqueness" of individual guitars. Some are great, and some not. And a "great" guitar is a great guitar regardless of its "features" ... the tone, the playability, how well its stays it tune, etc. My guess is the OP thinks he found a "great guitar" ... and that is a powerful thing, especially when it is a higher end Les Paul. It sure is pretty, too.

The 2015 line as a whole was unpopular, thanks to the multiple innovations at once on all models.

The brass nut is indeed terrible, and it's been replaced on later HP models with a titanium one. On my 2015 LPM, I first replaced it with the grey metal (presumably titanium) replacement Gibson sent me, but I managed to wear grooves in that as well. I tried the Graphtech one, but I've settled on a ZeroGlide (bone nut with incorporated nickel silver zero fret), which makes the guitar feel a little more alive to me.

The G-Force tuners are incredibly divisive - I found them intriguing to begin with, but they made changing strings awkward and time-consuming, so I replaced them with locking Grovers.

The wider fretboard is something I don't hear many people complain about. I like it.

Lots of people complain about the "Les Paul 100" signature on the headstock. It has absolutely zero effect on how the guitar plays, so I don't care.

The 2015 line as a whole was unpopular, thanks to the multiple innovations at once on all models.

The brass nut is indeed terrible, and it's been replaced on later HP models with a titanium one. On my 2015 LPM, I first replaced it with the grey metal (presumably titanium) replacement Gibson sent me, but I managed to wear grooves in that as well. I tried the Graphtech one, but I've settled on a ZeroGlide (bone nut with incorporated nickel silver zero fret), which makes the guitar feel a little more alive to me.

The G-Force tuners are incredibly divisive - I found them intriguing to begin with, but they made changing strings awkward and time-consuming, so I replaced them with locking Grovers.

The wider fretboard is something I don't hear many people complain about. I like it.

Lots of people complain about the "Les Paul 100" signature on the headstock. It has absolutely zero effect on how the guitar plays, so I don't care.

Hi,

Titanium is much harder than guitar strings. Maybe you didn't get a titanium nut? I have an idea Gibson briefly used another alloy (nickle?).

I have persevered with the G-Force tuners, though I have experienced a glitch once or twice. I find string changes fast and straightforward though. I googled 'string change for G-Force' and followed that. I am considering changing to regular tuners though because of stability.

Do the locking Grovers fit the same screw holes as the G-Force?

What didnt you like about the Graphtech nut? (just curious)

I also dont care about the cosmetic differences. We are in the minority!

Cheers

M.E.

Hi,

Titanium is much harder than guitar strings. Maybe you didn't get a titanium nut? I have an idea Gibson briefly used another alloy (nickle?).

I have persevered with the G-Force tuners, though I have experienced a glitch once or twice. I find string changes fast and straightforward though. I googled 'string change for G-Force' and followed that. I am considering changing to regular tuners though because of stability.

Do the locking Grovers fit the same screw holes as the G-Force?

What didnt you like about the Graphtech nut? (just curious)

I also dont care about the cosmetic differences. We are in the minority!

Cheers

M.E.

Grovers fit the same holes as the G-Force, but you need to drill screw holes in the back of the headstock to fit them.

It wasn't that I disliked the Graphtech nut. I fitted a Duesenberg Les Trem ii, which caused occasional tuning issues. I wanted to try using a String Butler to create straight string pull across the nut to see if that improved tuning stability, but the Graphtech nut slots are cut at angles so that wouldn't have worked. The only replacement I could find to fit the nut slot that would allow straight string pull was the Zero Glide. When I fitted it and the String Butler, the guitar just felt a wee bit brighter and more responsive (and tuning stability is better). If I wear grooves in the zero fret, I'll see if I can get someone to cut me a custom bone nut.

Grovers fit the same holes as the G-Force, but you need to drill screw holes in the back of the headstock to fit them.

It wasn't that I disliked the Graphtech nut. I fitted a Duesenberg Les Trem ii, which caused occasional tuning issues. I wanted to try using a String Butler to create straight string pull across the nut to see if that improved tuning stability, but the Graphtech nut slots are cut at angles so that wouldn't have worked. The only replacement I could find to fit the nut slot that would allow straight string pull was the Zero Glide. When I fitted it and the String Butler, the guitar just felt a wee bit brighter and more responsive (and tuning stability is better). If I wear grooves in the zero fret, I'll see if I can get someone to cut me a custom bone nut.

Thanks for the info PB. I will bookmark Locking Grovers. Zero Glide looks to be a good product. Good luck with it.

Archived