Gibson Brands Forums

Cable question if it’s ok to ask that here

EddieNYC

I have a LP, a tube screamer, and a Marshall 5 watt DSL amp and am looking to get new cables. I only play seated in my basement for fun.

I was looking to get a 10 foot right angle that I can use to go straight to an Amp or to a pedal. For the next cable I was probably going straight plug and thought about a 6 foot cable.

This probably sounds dumb asking about lengths but I have heard that longer cables can diminish the sound.

1) is the comment on length hurting tone meant for each cable, or both cables combined? I

2) If it’s combined should I go as short as possible from the pedal to the Amp with 3 ft, or am I fine with 6 ft that gives me a little more flexibility.

Thanks,

Mike

Naw..

Like rct says, go NUTS

Unless you're talking about +25~30 ft, you're never going to hear a difference.

The cable lengths you're planning to use are in no way going to roll your tone off.

Go for it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Not only are the lengths you're talking about negligible, the TS is buffered (I think) so it re-amplifies the signal. On a technical level you'd actually be better off with the longer cable between the pedal and the amp and the shorter cable between guitar and pedal. In real terms, at 16 feet you don't need to worry.

buddy guy used to use a ridiculously long cable, and begin playing outside the bar, making a grand entrance. a trick he stole from another player. of course, i have no idea what he sounded like. but how bad could it actually have been?

Albert King, the IceMan and his IcePick sound. 40 foot curly cables and still poked yer eyes out with treble.

rct

Albert King, the IceMan and his IcePick sound. 40 foot curly cables and still poked yer eyes out with treble.

rct

Doesn't Albert King play a Flying V upside-down and strung, so the high E string is now string 6 ect. Albert Collins is The Ice Man. The Master of The Telecaster.

Doesn't Albert King play a Flying V upside-down and strung, so the high E string is now string 6 ect. Albert Collins is The Ice Man. The Master of The Telecaster.

Yeah, I transposegafiedalized the names. Tele guy, humbucker in front he never used. Collins.

rct

Archived