Gibson Brands Forums

Quick Ibby question

Sorry for posting this question about Ibanezes in an Epiphone forum, but I'm a member here and don't know whether there are Ibanez forums, too (although I'm guessing there are).

There's always lots of talk here about fake Epis.

Are cheaper Ibanezes also faked a lot, or can I buy something like this from ebay or Reverb without worrying too much?

https://reverb.com/item/9984713-ibanez-as7312-hollowbody-12-string-2017-trans-cherry

gmv979u7yreefbkayjqy.jpg

(Note, considering they sell new at Sweetwater for $499, I'd be making the guy an offer, not automatically paying his asking price).

Many thanks for any insights.

Ibanez introduced Artcore in 2002 and has been the hollow-body guitar of choice for musicians for the last 10 years.

I looked into Ibanez at one point. I thought it was the Artstar that was more highly sought after? With the mickey mouse ears?

I think you're safe.

would have to question the sanity of a place that would make a copy of a copy...???

but that's none of my business...

Well....

That same question has been leveled at Epis: if you're going to bother to make counterfeit guitars, surely you'd fake Gibson Les Paul Customs, not Epis? Trouble is, people spending the kind of coin you need to drop on a Gibby tend to go into the transaction with a lot more care and knowledge, whereas Mom and Dad who have been pestered for an Epiphone Les Paul for Christmas might be happier to snag one off ebay for far less than they go for in Guitar Center, and don't really know what they're buying. In short, people counterfeit Epis because the Epi name on the headstock sells the counterfeit guitar for them, and for a lot more money than if they put (Random Chinese Guitar Factory Name) on the headstock.

I'm not a massive fan of Ibanez Artcores, but I want a 12 string semi-hollow jangle-box for a project I'm working on, and these fit the bill for a cheap price! There seem to be a few on ebay/Reverb in excellent condition for $350+

Well....

That same question has been leveled at Epis: if you're going to bother to make counterfeit guitars, surely you'd fake Gibson Les Paul Customs, not Epis? Trouble is, people spending the kind of coin you need to drop on a Gibby tend to go into the transaction with a lot more care and knowledge, whereas Mom and Dad who have been pestered for an Epiphone Les Paul for Christmas might be happier to snag one off ebay for far less than they go for in Guitar Center, and don't really know what they're buying. In short, people counterfeit Epis because the Epi name on the headstock sells the counterfeit guitar for them, and for a lot more money than if they put (Random Chinese Guitar Factory Name) on the headstock.

I'm not a massive fan of Ibanez Artcores, but I want a 12 string semi-hollow jangle-box for a project I'm working on, and these fit the bill for a cheap price! There seem to be a few on ebay/Reverb in excellent condition for $350+

Why would anyone counterfeit an Epiphone? Where did you get information on Epiphones being counterfeited?

I take it this is sarcasm?

They are questions. Epiphones are cheap made in China guitars. Who would make money copying an Epiphone? There is no money in it. If you believe that they are being bootlegged, please provide evidence of it.

I think 99% of the time if it has an Epiphone logo on it, its an Epiphone.... Epiphones have been built by many different guitar manufacturers in many different countries. Some very unusual models to standard models, some very poor guitars and some excellent. Most of the older Asian versions are very collectable.

When you can acquire a Chibson fake for less than what the equivalent Epiphone would cost, it just doesn't make any sense to produce a fake Epi.

They are questions. Epiphones are cheap made in China guitars. Who would make money copying an Epiphone? There is no money in it. If you believe that they are being bootlegged, please provide evidence of it.

I'm a librarian by profession. I like to cite authoritative sources - so, although this one is from 2014:

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection intercepts over $1 million in Counterfeit Guitars"

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-intercepts-over-1-million-counterfeit-guitars

Jersey City, N.J. – U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers seized in Jersey CityBulk Mail Center in Jersey City, N.J. more than 185 counterfeit guitars with an estimated retail value of more than $1,000,000.

While examining oversize parcels, CBP officers discovered five guitars bearing the Gibson, Les Paul, Paul Reed Smith, and Martin trademarks.

CBP has since identified more than 180 counterfeit guitars bearing additional trademarks of Epiphone, Fender, Taylor, and Ernie Ball—all being shipped through the same facility.

If you look for more anecdotal evidence (i.e. the complaints of people who've been stung), you'll find it all over guitar forums.

Chinese companies make fake Gibson copies called Epiphone, that' s right.

Are you familiar with the concept of "made under license?" Sure, you can call Epiphones copies, but there's a hell of a difference between a licensed manufacturer or a subsidiary company churning out "copies," versus Mr. Chinese Factory Owner making "Les Pauls," slapping an Epiphone logo on them, and selling them to US consumers via ebay. One principal factor is control of the trademark and related quality control.

Are you familiar with the concept of "made under license?" Sure, you can call Epiphones copies, but there's a hell of a difference between a licensed manufacturer or a subsidiary company churning out "copies," versus Mr. Chinese Factory Owner making "Les Pauls," slapping an Epiphone logo on them, and selling them to US consumers via ebay. One principal factor is control of the trademark and related quality control.

Don't feed the troll.

I think the big boys were mean to him again over the weekend and all the girls laughed, so he came here looking for attention.

Lord S: you'll probably find anecdotal evidence that there are fake Ibbys in existence. Personally, I've never heard of one, though.

Admittedly, I've never looked, but I doubt Ibanez is a popular brand to counterfeit?

Archived