Gibson Brands Forums

New England and Humidity

uncle fester

Just wow! Low $ humidity management (while trying to capitalize on time I can leave the guitar out and about) is a full time job!

Got my guitar in March... humidity is typically 30%ish in the area. To manage humidity, I keep my guitar in my office with a small humidifier - able to manage overall humidity keeping in low 40s by opening closing doors and adjusting the setting on the humidifier. Guitar is not where I'd like (wanting it on full display for everyone) but I was able to turn around and get some personal time with her throughout the day.

We now moved into spring: Had 2 days of humidity in 40's. That's the sweet spot, New England is easy, now able to keep my guitar in the family room, where it should be, to gaze at longingly while watching the bo' sox.

But no - it is New England, and it's 2 days later and it's now 67% humidity: Guitar has moved to basement where humidity is managed at ~50%. To get adequate guitar time, I'm thinking of moving my office down there, not comfortable, but might be worth it.

I guess the easiest way would be to get one of the in case humidifiers, and put the guitar away when I'm done, but I don't ever feel like I'm done.

Conundrums.

You may be over-thinking this a bit. Have kept my 2008 J-50 and 1965 J-50 on stands in my little studio for years now and just don't worry about them. I use a cheap "drug store" type humidifier in the winter to keep humiditiy in the 40% - 50% range. In the summer the humidity rarely drops below 50% even when the air conditioning runs continuously. It's almost 70% right now. My house is back in the woods and the trees tend to keep humidity high, especially in the mornings. But I haven't seen any humidity related issues with my guitars so I'll just keep doing things the same. :)

this topic surfaces a lot. it's good that ppl are aware. I keep em cased, esp acoustics, as they are the most vulnerable. Winter time, (while heat runs) I use in case humidifiers. you can tell too, pretty easy.. the faster these need to be recharged, the drier the wood is.

it's 67% RH in Central Mass,,, 4 days ago, it was still under 40..

Hey Boyd - I appreciate the input. I probably am overthinking this, but I want to figure out how to do everything by the book (maintain a 40 - 60% humidity) but I do expect over time I will evolve more to what you're doing. Probably keep with the office in the winter just because the main house is heated with a pellet stove - but ultimately would want to keep it in the family room the other seasons.

1 game behind....

Got the making of some good games this year. We're potentially solid, you're looking very solid - need to see what happens in October.

FYI- last game I went to was 3 yrs ago, bday present for my 8 yr old (and me) $500 tickets behind home plate, sox vs yanks - Eduardo Rodriguez on the mound as a phenom rookie (before folks figured him out). Mookie Betts and Big Papi hit homers. Sox won. My take-away, I hear the sox like gibsons but the yanks tend towards taylor?

What chaps my hide is the weathermen have all gotten together and stopped reporting actual humidity. They now report 'dewpoint' instead.

They cant really explain what it actually is a measurement of (some foggy estimate of the temperature at which point humidity will turn to dew) - so they put a little chart up that says 'this range is dry' 'this range is comfortable' and 'this range is humid'. Fortunately, we have apps that still report actual humidity.

And in other news, some school are now removing analog clocks and replacing hem with digital. I guess an extension of the new Common Core Math schools implemented so parents couldn't help their kids with their homework.

Anyway - I only turn on my room humidifier or de-humidifier if it gets outside of the 40-60% range.

Lived in Taxachussetts for nearly 5 years and kept my '64 LG1 in its cardboard case in the closet. Not the slightest problem at all. Never even THOUGHT about temps or humidity. House had no insulation in outer walls - so temps and humidity had to have fluctuated a good bit. G'Luck.

I want to figure out how to do everything by the book (maintain a 40 - 60% humidity) but I do expect over time I will evolve more to what you're doing.

Totally understand. I got a Martin D-15M in 2012, my first new acoustic since 1974, and I resolved to do exactly the same thing. In and out of the humidified case constantly, That lasted for about a year and started to feel like "fixing something that wasn't broke".

I took terrible care of the 1974 J-50, used the cheap POS chipboard original case stored in terrible conditions like a musty basement, unheated second home, etc. It spent many years just leaning against the wall in our little farmhouse with forced air heat and no humidifier. I would not recommend treating any guitar like this.... but it's still here today. :)

Nevertheless, do everything you feel is necessary to protect your new guitar!

Archived