Gibson Brands Forums

set up surprise

merciful-evans

I picked up my 339 today and the action felt a little high. I checked the neck curvature. There was a little too much relief.

Before going any further I decided to get on with another job (reverse the neck pickup ring). I had been meaning to do this for ages. So all the strings came off and I did that first. While the strings were off I decided to check the neck for straightness (yes I have the notched straight edge). With the strings off it was already perfectly straight. After a little cleaning I put the strings back on and tuned up.

The excess bow had gone. In fact, the action needed raising now. I had not touched the truss rod at all, and the strings had only been off for about 40 minutes. I did not raise the action, instead deciding to let it settle for another day first.

Now, I normally change strings one at a time to minimise tension change in the neck. Even so, this movement surprised me. My 339 is a Studio model so its a maple neck.

Anyone else experience this?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply - haven't been here for awhile.

But, yes I have experienced this on a couple of occasions when I took all the strings off at the same time (which I don't usually do), but not every time. I can't explain it, but seems occasionally the neck just needs to have no tension and it sort "relaxes" to a normal position. I have no reasonable explanation, and some may say we are both crazy and there is no way that should happen, but I have experienced the same thing. And by the way mine were on mahogany necks.

Archived