Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Finally got a SJ200

Mrmajstyk

After playing and performing live for a few decades, I finally treated myself to a 2012 SJ200 Standard! Slightly used, but nice!

Always liked the look of them, especially in black, but never could convince myself to part with the $$$.

Tried a few Epi EJs in the past...and OK for the $, but I grew tired of "just OK", so I got rid of them.

Got a Guild jumbo...wow, great guitar...and got a couple more. Simply amazing guitars...and not hugely expensive. Sort of "under the radar", but very high quality!

BUT...the SJ200 has always held a mystique for me. Maybe because so many of my heroes have played them. But it always eluded me...until now!

I've played a few in stores that sounded nice...a few not so nice...so I knew I was taking a huge gamble on this one, making a deal and buying it used and off the internet, but I took the plunge. It arrived a few days later, I let it acclimate...opened the case...and it was just BEAUTIFUL! Pulled it out, wiped it down, tuned it up and played it for a minute or two..."whew"...so relieved I got a good one!! Sounds even better with new strings, a slight adjustment to the neck relief and saddle! Wow! Well worth the $$$!

6Ox1RTF.jpg

Congrats on a really awesome guitar. The Gibson Super Jumbos really march to a different drummer. Glad you didn't get caught-up in all the internet crap about what sounds good and what doesn't. Guitars are very personal instruments and we make our own decisions. Play it at the store and it sounds okay. Take it home and a month later "Damn, this is a beast." And I'm sure yours will be a monster too........Have fun. They are great instruments. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Congratulations! J-200s are great guitars. I bought mine new from a five star dealer in early 2007. (It's a 2006) I play it almost everyday. It definitely has something good going on.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I think you made a great move in going with a guitar that has appealed to you for a long time. Enjoy bonding with it.

After playing and performing live for a few decades, I finally treated myself to a 2012 SJ200 Standard!

Wow, super major congrats, Retro--er Mrmajstyk!

Got a Guild jumbo...wow, great guitar...and got a couple more. Simply amazing guitars...and not hugely expensive. Sort of "under the radar", but very high quality!

I totally second the sentiment on the Guild jumbos. Awesome guitars.

BUT...the SJ200 has always held a mystique for me.

Same here. Still out of my price range, but if I ever come into some money.....

Was that the one that sold on Reverb.com recently?

Thats the one! Actually there were two... a trans black custom shop with LR. Baggs, and this one in Ebony. I preferred this one for a couple of reasons... the Fishman, the pickguard and the gold tuners.

Also, what helped me “pull the trigger” was the fact that i had a pile of “ reverb bucks” that i was able to apply! I’ve been buying and selling on Reverb for a few years. So that helped!

Wow, super major congrats, Retro--er Mrmajstyk!

I totally second the sentiment on the Guild jumbos. Awesome guitars.

Same here. Still out of my price range, but if I ever come into some money.....

Hey Cougar!

Yeah, I haven’t posted on LTG yet, but I will!

I’ve had Gibsons before, just not the J-200!

I never could afford one either, but the guy was willing to deal a little!

And the Reverb bucks I had been saving up helped out a great deal too!

Interesting note...

Being curious, I contacted Gibson about specs for this guitar, and here’s their reply;

“Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We do have a record of this guitar, however our system lists this as a “Special Production” by Gibson Acoustic.

This would have likely been made on request from the dealer, to their specifications.

Unfortunately, only the original dealer would be able to assist with detailed specifications for this type of custom instrument.

Best Regards,

Wilson Parks

Customer Service

Gibson Brands, Inc.”

So, I asked if they could tell me who the dealer is, and he replied:

“Unfortunately, it’s our policy not to share information like this. I apologize for the inconvenience.”

Talk about a brick wall!

So I contacted the guy I bought it from and he told me that he sent it to me in the original box that the guy HE bought it from sent it... and it had Wildwood logos all over it. So I contacted Wildwood, and they are going to check their archives and see what they can find! I don’t have much hope tho, 2012 is an awfully long time ago for a dealer that sells as many as they do!

Interesting note...

Being curious, I contacted Gibson about specs for this guitar, and here’s their reply;

“Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We do have a record of this guitar, however our system lists this as a “Special Production” by Gibson Acoustic.

This would have likely been made on request from the dealer, to their specifications.

Unfortunately, only the original dealer would be able to assist with detailed specifications for this type of custom instrument.

Best Regards,

Wilson Parks

Customer Service

Gibson Brands, Inc.”

So, I asked if they could tell me who the dealer is, and he replied:

“Unfortunately, it’s our policy not to share information like this. I apologize for the inconvenience.”

Talk about a brick wall!

So I contacted the guy I bought it from and he told me that he sent it to me in the original box that the guy HE bought it from sent it... and it had Wildwood logos all over it. So I contacted Wildwood, and they are going to check their archives and see what they can find! I don’t have much hope tho, 2012 is an awfully long time ago for a dealer that sells as many as they do!

Congrats! It's a beautiful guitar. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment. I hope to own a J200 one day as well. They sure are great instruments.

There’s nothing like an SJ200. I’ve always loved them and always will. I’ve been lucky enough to own two, one of which (my 2015 Standard) is still with me. The other, a 2003 Historic Collection, was my sole gigging guitar for eight years-I took it all over the world and played thousands of shows with it. Wonderful guitar that was definitely ready for retirement after I took her off the road, three refrets, two headstock repairs and many setups later! None of which were the guitar’s fault of course.

Enjoy yours for many years to come-they’re glorious!

After playing and performing live for a few decades, I finally treated myself to a 2012 SJ200 Standard! Slightly used, but nice!

6Ox1RTF.jpg

Johnny Cash would play the hell out of that. Nice.

Funny you should say that!

Part of the reason I wanted a black one! i do a multi- Tribute show, and individual tribute shows as well . “Cashin’ In”, a tribute to Johnny Cash. “The Feel of Neil”, a tribute to Neil Diamond.

They’ve both played Gibson SJ 200s and various other black, as well as natural finish guitars, and many different makes and styles... but lots of Gibsons!

And I’m not going to lug Martins, Ovations, Fenders and Epiphone guitars to all the gigs... they both played, and have strong identities with black guitars, and jumbos, so this is perfect for both! ( that’s what I’m telling the taxman anyway! LOL!)

Archived