Gibson Brands Forums

Country Western

davenumber2

No, I mean round shouldered. The CW was originally round shouldered and was changed to square in the early sixties. I am aware of the Sheryl Crow model and other square shouldered reissues.

As I'm sure you're well aware of, they've continued to reissue the Southern Jumbo since its reintroduction in 1991. The 2018 model looks excellent by the way, it's no natural top though. Was that a trick question? Did we all fail?

Cool. Learn something new every day

I don’t need to worry until tomorrow now

Any other differences in CW vs J50 other than the block fretboard inlays ?

The neck is also bound. There may be other minor cosmetic differences but I'm no expert.

Cool. Learn something new every day

I don’t need to worry until tomorrow now

One and done, that's my motto. If you have to have a motto.

The neck is also bound. There may be other minor cosmetic differences but I'm no expert.

A favorite feature might be the "lasso" label . . . captures the 50's Cowboy movie era so well:

gK86uIG.png?1

Emin7 mentioned that the CW's tended to be fitted with a thinner pickguard (a good thing).

Oio1sKa.png?2

Saw the watermark on the photo- John S of True Vintage is a member here on the forum (tvguit), but not active of late. Always has nice guitars.

Knowing Gibson they probably call it an SJ natural.

I believe that's actually what they called it before adopting the CW moniker.

It really is just an SJ with a natural top. I think the CW designation was adopted around 1956 or so, as was the unique CW soundhole label with the rope around the label.

One of the best mid-50's slope J Gibsons I've played was Ol' Fred's '56 or '57 CW.

I believe that's actually what they called it before adopting the CW moniker.

It really is just an SJ with a natural top. I think the CW designation was adopted around 1956 or so, as was the unique CW soundhole label with the rope around the label.

One of the best mid-50's slope J Gibsons I've played was Ol' Fred's '56 or '57 CW.

Yeah, the CW label came later. Coincidentally my second favorite Gibson of all time was a 1956 SJ. This guitar had acquired the reputation as the one to beat to the point whenever the owner of the local store got in a 1950s mahogany body Gibson or Martin I had to being it in so he could do a shoot out. In all the years I owned the SJ it walked away the favorite only being tied once - and that was by a certain 1951 Martin D-18.

A favorite feature might be the "lasso" label . . . captures the 50's Cowboy movie era so well:

gK86uIG.png?1

Emin7 mentioned that the CW's tended to be fitted with a thinner pickguard (a good thing).

Oio1sKa.png?2

Ooh, the good ol' lasso-label is a charmer.

But regarding thickness of the guards I'm only talking squares. And in that department the CW S. Crow follows the thin ways of the first-wave 60's ancestors.

Keep wondering btw. why the 50's guards like the one seen above have the privilege of bein' called bat-wings

as the 3-point guard known from the 'modern' square trio - Hummingbird, Southern Jumbo, Country Western - is so much more bat-sharp. Guess it's a matter of timing.

And no - I don't think Bozeman ever reproduced a slope shouldered CW. Good idea though. Again - might be a matter of timing.

I believe there was a reissue of the classic 1958 round shoulder through the Fullers guitar shop.

https://reverb.com/item/1323796-gibson-country-western-reissue-2007

That's a nice one. Fuller's does (did) great re-issues, like my 1943 SJ.

That particular CW has the cherry-stained back and sides. Some of the originals were cherry, others were a medium walnut stain.

That's a nice one. Fuller's does (did) great re-issues, like my 1943 SJ.

That particular CW has the cherry-stained back and sides. Some of the originals were cherry, others were a medium walnut stain.

Yea the red does stand out a lot. I do prefer the darker stain. Seems like a good price it sold for though.

Bozeman DID do a round-shouldered CW re-issue, if nothing else, at least for Fuller's Guitar. I think they called it a "1958 Country Western". For all I know they did some for the Japanese dealers too, but my memory's a bit rusty on that.

I know I've seen the Fuller's, and I have photos of one from 2006.

If I could figure out a decent photo-hosting site, I'd post a pic.

Fred

I believe there was a reissue of the classic 1958 round shoulder through the Fullers guitar shop.

https://reverb.com/i...rn-reissue-2007

Pardon - I should have noticed this.

Bozeman DID do a round-shouldered CW re-issue, if nothing else, at least for Fuller's Guitar. I think they called it a "1958 Country Western". For all I know they did some for the Japanese dealers too, but my memory's a bit rusty on that.

I know I've seen the Fuller's, and I have photos of one from 2006.

If I could figure out a decent photo-hosting site, I'd post a pic.

Fred

But there can't be many. .

• 3 months later...

No, I mean round shouldered. The CW was originally round shouldered and was changed to square in the early sixties. I am aware of the Sheryl Crow model and other square shouldered reissues.

1956-Gibson-Country-Western-001-159x212.jpg

im a sucker for CW msp_love.gif and i didnt know Sheryl had one, oh my!

i recently saw someone selling a J-15 with a western pickguard but its no the same without the parallelogram inlays

im a sucker for CW msp_love.gif and i didnt know Sheryl had one, oh my!

i recently saw someone selling a J-15 with a western pickguard but its no the same without the parallelogram inlays

Crow is pretty famous for the (I think 1962) square Country Western. Actually so much that Bozeman offered a signature model in the late 90's.

Here you have the original (not her) quite naked. There are other acoustic clips of this oldie to be Tube-found.

Enjoy -

2008 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgq8GLbXTs

Crow is pretty famous for the (I think 1962) square Country Western. Actually so much that Bozeman offered a signature model in the late 90's.

Here you have the original (not her) quite naked. There are other acoustic clips of this oldie to be Tube-found.

Enjoy -

2008 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgq8GLbXTs

Thank you for the vid! i've listened to her music since i was little but oddly enough i've never payed attention to her guitars!! (DONT KNOW WHY)

that '62 is a beauty msp_love.gif now in addition to a hummingbird i will also want one of these haha

Thank you for the vid! i've listened to her music since i was little but oddly enough i've never payed attention to her guitars!! (DONT KNOW WHY)

that '62 is a beauty msp_love.gif now in addition to a hummingbird i will also want one of these haha

Here's a closer cleaner look - brief though.

Always interesting when there is an opportunity to zoom in and actually hear what we have heard on recordings for so long.

This clip shows a fine definitely vintage sounding, yet rather tight not big or boomy at all old CW.

Check 2:37

2016 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEwGYtHQBpE

No need to say the original adjustable saddle has been fixed. But I underline again : It makes the guitars more conventional.

Here's a closer cleaner look - brief though.

Always interesting when there is an opportunity to zoom in and actually hear what we have heard on recordings for so long.

This clip shows a fine definitely vintage sounding, yet rather tight not big or boomy at all old CW.

Check 2:37

2016 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEwGYtHQBpE

No need to say the original adjustable saddle has been fixed. But I underline again : It makes the guitars more conventional.

ohh nice! cool guitars, cool house, cool truck, cool everything! hehe msp_love.gif

thank you very much for sharing this vid

Archived