Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Studio upgrade

Awazleon

Dear all,

Just bought a nice ES335 Studio that I like.

I know that behind the cosmetic, there are a lot of difference between a "standard" ES335 and the Studio model but that's fine, the neck is good, the sound is good...

But, there is one enhancement I'm starting to think about : Mine has just one pot for the volume and one pot for the tone to set both pickups.

I would like to add 2 pots as the std ES335 to have one vol and one tone per mic.

I know that in that case, I'll have to do 2 new holes on the table and wiring to change but I'm not afraid by that.

So, do you think (in term of sound) there is a value added by doing that ? I think that the sound will not change a lot but I would like to have a separate setup for each mic.

Have a nice day

Pascal

post-92028-023800200 1525711638_thumb.jpg

Gazillions of strat and tele players manage with one volume control, but I do not know your usage but I suspect if you used both pups at the same time a lot and diddled with the vol/tone pots to get the sweet spot then sure go fer it. If OTOH you don't use both pups at the same time it's (IMO) a waste of time and money but it's your git and your bank account. Then again you run the risk of a ham fisted git "tech" mucking up the top of the git too.

Dear all,

Just bought a nice ES335 Studio that I like.

I know that behind the cosmetic, there are a lot of difference between a "standard" ES335 and the Studio model but that's fine, the neck is good, the sound is good...

But, there is one enhancement I'm starting to think about : Mine has just one pot for the volume and one pot for the tone to set both pickups.

I would like to add 2 pots as the std ES335 to have one vol and one tone per mic.

I know that in that case, I'll have to do 2 new holes on the table and wiring to change but I'm not afraid by that.

So, do you think (in term of sound) there is a value added by doing that ? I think that the sound will not change a lot but I would like to have a separate setup for each mic.

Have a nice day

Pascal

post-92028-023800200 1525711638_thumb.jpg

Hi Awazleon;

I am a knob fiddler and can't get along with single volume controls (can make do with a master tone, but again not preferable). Rather than routing, drilling, carving, and cutting your body up, I would recommend using stacked pots. This way you just have to fiddle with the wiring and you get independent control. Switch both pots for independent control of both volume and tone, or just he volume pot and run master tone. Switching both will also allow you to have a different cap value on each tone if you desired.

Like these here;

https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/cts-a500k-a500k-stacked-concentric-pot.html

Hope this helps.

Johnny

Hi Awazleon;

I am a knob fiddler and can't get along with single volume controls (can make do with a master tone, but again not preferable). Rather than routing, drilling, carving, and cutting your body up, I would recommend using stacked pots. This way you just have to fiddle with the wiring and you get independent control. Switch both pots for independent control of both volume and tone, or just he volume pot and run master tone. Switching both will also allow you to have a different cap value on each tone if you desired.

Like these here;

https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/cts-a500k-a500k-stacked-concentric-pot.html

Hope this helps.

Johnny

This is simple and a truly excellent idea.

Hello,

Thx for this advice. Seems a good idea but I'm seeing one "cosmetic" problem : The knobs. I have to find concentric knobs and I only found Telecaster like knob style.

But in all of case, this idea is better that mine. No need to drill extra holes brining the risk to destroy the guitar. Really clever.

If I found correct knobs, I'll go in that way, else I'll do nothing and keep it as is. As Gnappi said, Tele or Strat only have one volume and one tone (Tele) and this never annoyed me (I have both)

Have a nice day guys

Pascal

Yeah... also a fiddler of knobs here.

It is convenient to have separate V and T for each pickup. For quick flick of the switch change, I use the neck PU for lead solos and set the bridge for rhythm or vise versa.

Adding the additional V and T is a cheap mod, but time consuming. Either way, it is up to you. If you have other Gibson's it would be easier to have the same setups for all your guitars. Although, like me, you are also used to a Strat set up!

I have a 2015 Studio with single vol/tone. As a decades-long Tele player, I prefer it that way. Four knobs confuse me, and don’t work in the middle position the way I think they should. They can’t work correctly without an active buffer between the pups. I make heavy use of the middle position, and separate controls make it difficult. So I actually prefer the single vol/tone. But it does look a bit hinky.

I do love the guitar. I’m not as much of a Tele player as I used to be. I never got along with LPs or SGs or other solid two-humbucker guitars, but the ES works for me. I like the stripped-down look, the black binding on wine red, and I have no issues with the baked maple fingerboard. It’s a hell of a guitar, and I bought it in used-but-like-new condition for about the price of a Sheraton+case+pickups+potswap+etc., so it really was a no brainer. The only thing I changed on it were the tuners, and only because I don’t like Rotos, not because they were inadequate. My current almost favorite of my dozen or so guitars (favorite is an old ES-125TDC). Normally I would replace the pots with sealed Bourns units, but I’ll wait until these start scratching before I do that. That shouldn’t happen for a few years.

Adding two controls wouldn’t be difficult, but you would have to be careful to position them correctly, and you would want to ream them to size rather than drill them, to avoid chipping and finish damage. Then you get to install the wiring harness, which, if you never worked on semis before, can be frustrating.

Steven

Guys,

I think that I'll leave it as is without modification.

I started to play it more and it is fine. I'm not afraid by any modification (I spent times to modify years ago a Sheraton with success),I made a choice by buying this model and if I want 4 buttons up to me to buy an ES335 std.

I always thought that when you buy an instrument or an amplifier, if something doesn't fit, like shape, sound..etc.. buy something else rather than to try to adapt it [-X

Have all a nice day

Pascal

Stacked potentiometers is really an excellent solution, standard wiring diagrams from Gibson or other source can be applied as well, and prepare a harnes outside that permits to be installed through the f hole in easy manner.

Touching the wood with new holes for extra potentiometers is a problem and need a lot of time and also can damage the finish.

I think it is the best idea and make your guitar unique as well.

BR

Andy

Archived