Gibson Brands Forums

Almost 2 months with my J-45 Standard...

jjrpilot

Getting my NOS 2017 J-45 Standard was a little bit of a process as I had posted before. The first one had a flaw with a top but thankfully the dealer sent out another and it was absolutely perfect after a proper setup.

So now I'm about 1 month into having it fully operational if you will.

I think I'm literally addicted to the Gibson tone. It's oh-so-warm, has a nice "thump," has a quick powerful initial punch sound followed by a quick decay...this is EVERYTHING I've been looking for. Even the shorter scale is wonderful to handle as well and I can't help but think that this helps with that warmer tone as well. Ironically enough a shorter scale doesn't mean less volume. This thing is a cannon!

Bottom line? I want to grow old with this guitar. I find myself listening to other J45 recordings on youtube while at work.

I'm addicted to this J45 Standard......

People can say what they want about the company, I honestly don't care one bit. This is one quality guitar and I'm honored and oh-so thankful to have it.

RyruOmll.jpg

Bottom line? I want to grow old with this guitar. I find myself listening to other J45 recordings on youtube while at work.

I'm addicted to this J45 Standard......

People can say what they want about the company, I honestly don't care one bit. This is one quality guitar and I'm honored and oh-so thankful to have it.

RyruOmll.jpg

J-45's are incredibleI sincerely wish your duo the best

Great review, man! And major congrats on acquiring that one 6-string that could be the only one you really need!

As a left handed player who is lucky enough to own a bunch of gibson acoustics built in Bozeman ... All I can say is I am very happy with the tone and overall quality of these guitars!!! I truely feel that they are so pleasing to my ears that I don't need a "boutique small builder" guitar.

The best way I can describe it is I hear the WOOD when I play them.

Other guitars from other brands sound too metallic or too harsh for my ears.

Congrats on the J 45 standard !!

JC

I want another J-45 at some point. I played a really good 2018 model a couple days ago: had all that warmth in the mids and trebles, and deep lows that didn't lose character across the bass strings (often I find J-45s where the E and A strings, when blended, get muddy). Even though J-45s with that wide/deep lower bout hurt my right shoulder, I think I'd still like to have one around even if I only play a song or two every now and then. The one I played was too expensive, would've been 3k with taxes and the shop wasn't in a dealing mood that day. Oh well. Some day.

With guitars, I am generally still in the honeymoon period the first month or so and do virtually nothing with them other than change the strings using those I normally prefer on other guitars. Then once you settle in with a guitar you start thinking is there anything easy and cheap you can do to bring out the best that instrument has to give. So you start experimenting with strings and gauges, maybe saddles and set ups. I mentioned this in another thread but when I owned the '63 B45-12 it came with its stock rosewood saddle. I was convinced this had to go so snagged a new tusq saddle. Figuring I might be able to do better, I picked up a ceramic saddle that was sitting in the parts box of a local music shop. I liked that one even less. So in the end I went back to the original wood saddle. But then comes the thought maybe I should replace the fixed bridge/tailpiece setup for a pin bridge. So what did I lean? Let's just say history is repeating itself with my 1961 B45-12 which I have now owned for just under a month.. It also has its original rosewood. So while I have not done a thing to it yet, what is the first thing I do - yup, buy a bone saddle replacement. In my defense though, I never did try one of those with my last Gibson 12 string.

With guitars, I am generally still in the honeymoon period the first month or so and do virtually nothing with them other than change the strings using those I normally prefer on other guitars. Then once you settle in with a guitar you start thinking is there anything easy and cheap you can do to bring out the best that instrument has to give. So you start experimenting with strings and gauges, maybe saddles and set ups. I mentioned this in another thread but when I owned the '63 B45-12 it came with its stock rosewood saddle. I was convinced this had to go so snagged a new tusq saddle. Figuring I might be able to do better, I picked up a ceramic saddle that was sitting in the parts box of a local music shop. I liked that one even less. So in the end I went back to the original wood saddle. But then comes the thought maybe I should replace the fixed bridge/tailpiece setup for a pin bridge. So what did I lean? Let's just say history is repeating itself with my 1961 B45-12 which I have now owned for just under a month.. It also has its original rosewood. So while I have not done a thing to it yet, what is the first thing I do - yup, buy a bone saddle replacement. In my defense though, I never did try one of those with my last Gibson 12 string.

The only thing I’ve done so far is to put on some John Pearse PB lights. I could easily see this being my only guitar if I could only keep one.

It warms my soul.

The only thing I’ve done so far is to put on some John Pearse PB lights. I could easily see this being my only guitar if I could only keep one.

It warms my soul.

I cannot tell you how many times I have muttered that to myself. Part of it though is not the guitar but the player. No doubt you can latch onto a guitar that you feel is perfect in that space and time. But we as players do sometimes change which can lead you to start looking for a guitar that while having a characteristic Gibson voice may have something just a tad different going for it. It could be a guitar that spits out notes that do not quite decay as fast as is typical with a Gibson or maybe one that is voiced just a bit brighter or with just a little extra oomph to the low end.

Archived