Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from a Newcomer

GDT

Hi All,

I am a long term Gibson owner and guitar enthusiast who owns several high end acoustic guitars.

My Gibson Songwriter Delux EC has been an adored and trusted companion for almost 10 years now. Unfortunately, the thick pick guard the comes on this guitar has begun to separate along the edges into 2 layers. I have contacted Gibson, who referred me to thier Canadian distributor, Yorkville Sound, who have advised me that the Gibson Warranty does not apply in Canada. However, they did offer to replace the defective pick guard at a cost to me of $150.

I am not sure if the Gibson bankruptcy is a key factor in their unwillingness to honour their warranty and assist in the resolution of this defect. But, I am extremely dissapointed and frustrated by their response.

Just a word of warning to Gibson instrument owners... it now appears that if you have an issue with defects, workmanship, or product quality problems, you will be left entirely on you own.

I would hope that once the dust from their current financial woes settles, the Gibson brand will survive, and that the restructured company will adopt a comprehensive customer care culture and policies that will rival the likes of Taylor and Martin.

Otherwise, it is truly a shame to see a brand of this stature fail and abandon what has been a devoted customer base.

Dissapointed & Frustrated,

G

Your disappointment is understood, but the Gibson lifelong warranty only applies to the original buyer in the USA. All other countries get the warranty according to their laws, some dealers provide extended ones. Everyone buying used in the US won't get anything more than the dealer's guarantee as long as applicable like people do over here, too.

To my guess replacing the pickguard of your Songwriter Deluxe EC won't break your bank remembering the costs of strings for ten years, will it? Then there's also the batteries...

Again, I understand you are disappointed, but it's not worth ruining your mood over rules not created by you and me. I know very well how easily I get touched by these things at first - deep in my soul I'm a musician, you know... Such situations are hard for me, too. I need to take my time and cool down. Sleeping on it may bring back your serenity.

Your disappointment is understood, but the Gibson lifelong warranty only applies to the original buyer in the USA. All other countries get the warranty according to their laws, some dealers provide extended ones. Everyone buying used in the US won't get anything more than the dealer's guarantee as long as applicable like people do over here, too.

To my guess replacing the pickguard of your Songwriter Deluxe EC won't break your bank remembering the costs of strings for ten years, will it? Then there's also the batteries...

Again, I understand you are disappointed, but it's not worth ruining your mood over rules not created by you and me. I know very well how easily I get touched by these things at first - deep in my soul I'm a musician, you know... Such situations are hard for me, too. I need to take my time and cool down. Sleeping on it may bring back your serenity.

Gibson got back to me and agreed that they will replace the defective pick guard, under warranty.

I am pleased and reassured in my faith in Gibson.

It was never about the $150 to resolve the issue on my own.

At issue was the initial response to my enquire regarding the defec.

Thanks Gibson!

Archived