Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 With Firebird Inlays

drathbun

That thing sounds gargantuan, even with the action clearly set so low that it’s buzzing a little when laid into hard. Imagine how much bigger it would sound with a 1/4 turn of relief on the truss rod...

They completely forget that these inlays originally came from Ron Wood's flame-themed double p-guard J-200, which saw light of day during the 1990's.

What I've heard is that the signature model didn't sell as well as expected and therefore left a few boxes with these burning green markers untouched.

To my knowledge the first square maple Firebirds rose from the ashes in 2001 where under 15 were made. For obvious reasons more came following later.

Apart from that an impressing guitar. But good Jinder, , , why even bigger. .

They completely forget that these inlays originally came from Ron Wood's flame-themed double p-guard J-200, which saw light of day during the 1990's.

What I've heard is that the signature model didn't sell as well as expected and therefore left a few boxes with these burning green markers untouched.

To my knowledge the first square maple Firebirds rose from the ashes in 2001 where under 15 were made. For obvious reasons more came following later.

True but that was a signature model.

On "regular" J 200's I don't think I have ever seen that inlay.

JC

Ya, The Ron Wood model appeared on the price list in 1998 and was taken out of the line by 1999. Gibson sold 32 0f them at a staggering list price of $7999.00. It should be noted that Ron Wood came up with the design for the inlays and cosmetic appearance of the guitar. The cost was probably the limiting factor in the number sold. Gibson had a bunch of the inlays left over and they came out with the Firebird to use them up. The name actually had nothing to do with the forest fires around the Bozeman area but had everything to do with the "Flame" looking inlays Ron Wood designed.

The fires in Yellowstone Park were in '88. a full 10 years before the guitars came out and the fires around Bozeman were small in comparison and no threat to the town of Bozeman. It does make for a good story though.

Ya, The Ron Wood model appeared on the price list in 1998 and was taken out of the line by 1999. Gibson sold 32 0f them at a staggering list price of $7999.00. It should be noted that Ron Wood came up with the design for the inlays and cosmetic appearance of the guitar. The cost was probably the limiting factor in the number sold. Gibson had a bunch of the inlays left over and they came out with the Firebird to use them up. The name actually had nothing to do with the forest fires around the Bozeman area but had everything to do with the "Flame" looking inlays Ron Wood designed.

The fires in Yellowstone Park were in '88. a full 10 years before the guitars came out and the fires around Bozeman were small in comparison and no threat to the town of Bozeman. It does make for a good story though.

It must be remembered that R.W. is a brush'n'pencil artist in his own right.

And added that I had the opportunity to go through a series of his works in at a gallery in the late 90's.

During the days of a Stones concert here they were exhibited, but afterwards Wood simply 'forgot' to bring them out.

The kind lady there invited me into the back-room to inspect the left collection. Mostly rock colleagues, , , and wild animals (msp_thumbup.gifsame thingcool.gif)

, , , which actually all were pretty well crafted. Creating the green flames in that same phase probably was a piece of cake.

Archived