Gibson Brands Forums

Dear Musician - When Musical Icons Stumble

mihcmac

Article: Dear Musician - When Musical Icons Stumble

By Dendy Jarrett | May 07, 2018

http://www.harmonyce...24809b-60440421

(first couple of paragraphs from Harmony Central article)

Let's face it – there are very few American Icons left when it comes to brand names that are still manufactured in the U.S.A. Coke, Harley-Davidson, Jack Daniels, and Airstream are just a few. These brands are all internationally recognized and represent top quality that's made in America.

This week, we learned that Gibson has stumbled, announcing it has filed for Chapter 11 reorganization and protection through the bankruptcy courts in Delaware. Maybe Gibson isn't as ubiquitous as a brand like Coke, but their logo is instantly recognizable the world over, as is the iconic Les Paul body shape.

(I received this article link from Harmony Central in my email this morning).

Bean counters and art usually don't mix very well. Artists need the freedom to create, Gibson's are definitely works of art.

Gibson designed so many Iconic guitars. I display my Explorer like a work of art in my living room and sometimes stare at it captivated by the flow of its design.

Les Paul burned a lot of midnight oil at the Epiphone plant developing the "Les Paul".

Epiphone could not have a better parent/partner leading the way...

• 2 weeks later...

Bean counters and art usually don't mix very well. Artists need the freedom to create, Gibson's are definitely works of art.

Gibson designed so many Iconic guitars. I display my Explorer like a work of art in my living room and sometimes stare at it captivated by the flow of its design.

Les Paul burned a lot of midnight oil at the Epiphone plant developing the "Les Paul".

Epiphone could not have a better parent/partner leading the way...

Very true that Gibson designed a lot of iconic guitars,...but they designed a lot of very stupid ones as well, that no one wanted.

On the Gibson USA forum there are people who are waiting to have their orders filled on new models and getting worried. Also substitutions for similar models have been reported. It looks like if your Gibson supplier doesn't have the model you want in stock, there is no way to tell how long it will take to fill new orders. How long it will take for in stock models to disappear. The end result of this could drive price of US made Gibson's up to where only the elite can afford even the base models.

In addition there are comments asking for more lower priced Gibson's, which is what Gibson has tasked Epiphone to provide.

Is "made in China assembled USA" in the future for some models?

On the Gibson USA forum there are people who are waiting to have their orders filled on new models and getting worried. Also substitutions for similar models have been reported. It looks like if your Gibson supplier doesn't have the model you want in stock, there is no way to tell how long it will take to fill new orders. How long it will take for in stock models to disappear. The end result of this could drive price of US made Gibson's up to where only the elite can afford even the base models.

In addition there are comments asking for more lower priced Gibson's, which is what Gibson has tasked Epiphone to provide.

Is "made in China assembled USA" in the future for some models?

It seems gassing for a Gibson these days is becoming a pretty traumatic experience. Poor elites.

Archived