Gibson Brands Forums

Is It The Short- Or Long-Term Memory, I Forget

zombywoof

There was a day when I could listen to something, walk around humming it for a day or so and be playing in another day or two. Apparently a funny thing happened down the road. A while back I decided to go back and revisit a couple of tunes. First on the agenda was Blind Blake's "West Coast Blues." I had been playing this one since at least 1968. Right off the bat I totally blanked out on a couple of bars just in the introduction. I used to be able to shut my mind off and let my fingers do what they apparently knew how to do without any thinking going on. That is always when I felt I was in the pocket. Then I decided to see what happened with Rev. Gary Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag." I had always wanted to run this one up the flagpole with a 12 string. I could not even recall how I used to kick it off. It was not the notes but my right hand just could not find the rhythm. I figure it is brain farts brought on by hanging around this mortal coil for so long. Maybe I need to eat more fish.

I seem to totally blank on things. Used to remember everything, now things are just gone. I can get them back with a nudge (i.e. a quick review of chords etc... or first few notes of a lead.) I've resolved myself to it reasoning it's just a matter of the brain getting full from all of life's misc stuff... and things that aren't at the forefront getting pushed out. that and probably the new laws and policies allowing access to certain accouterments aren't helping.

Pete Townshend put out a chord book years ago of select Who tunes. It was either "Pinball Wizard" or one of the songs from Quadrophenia where he said sometimes he had to look at the opening chords again before hitting the stage...I'm sure all the Remy-Martin had nothing to do w/it...

I don't have that problem.

Hundreds of original songs in my head, probably thousands of covers from the gigging days. I work in Ag. parts during the day so have thousands of part numbers, applications, specs, Model #'s, computer systems, log ins, usernames, passwords, phone numbers, discounts, margins, sizes, thread pitches, bolt size, grades, account numbers, zip codes, not to mention names of customers, towns, friends, family, old girlfriend phone numbers, nicknames, recipes, directions.

Wait.

What was this thread about?

this is why I now have to have a music stand with a book full of charts on the songs I'll do on an acoustic solo set

I don't need to read it verse for verse, it's more a safety net, in case I forget the words to a verse, or some silly chord change.

never needed one before.

Wow! A 'Lost In Space' reference from Mars. Don't tell me the original series was showing down under back then.

Yeah, we had to err...’science the shite out of it’, [mellow] get that aerial pointed and sit back for after school enjoyment of Lost In Space, I Dream of Jeannie, The Monkees, Gilligan, Jetsons, zflintstones, Hogan, Gomer, F Troop, and after dinner the whole family would settle in for Star Trek!

It wasn’t called Mars then - it had some funny name that...ha ha ..I can’t remember....but it was renamed after the chocolate bar was launched ..Mars Bar and soon, the Milky Way bar..... [mellow]

We watched the new Lost In Space on Netflix the other week..

BluesKing777.

Yeah, we had to err...’science the shite out of it’, [mellow] get that aerial pointed and sit back for after school enjoyment of Lost In Space, I Dream of Jeannie, The Monkees, Gilligan, Jetsons, zflintstones, Hogan, Gomer, F Troop, and after dinner the whole family would settle in for Star Trek!

It wasn’t called Mars then - it had some funny name that...ha ha ..I can’t remember....but it was renamed after the chocolate bar was launched ..Mars Bar and soon, the Milky Way bar..... [mellow]

We watched the new Lost In Space on Netflix the other week..

BluesKing777.

You probably have got some folks here scratching their heads wondering what this aerial thing is. The remakes of the old TV shows just always seem to come off as lame. Movie versions of shows like Car 54 Where Are You? and McHales Navy were about as forgettable as it gets. Now see, that I remember.

You probably have got some folks here scratching their heads wondering what this aerial thing is. The remakes of the old TV shows just always seem to come off as lame. Movie versions of shows like Car 54 Where Are You? and McHales Navy were about as forgettable as it gets. Now see, that I remember.

The aerial thing and science thing refers to Matt Damon in The Martian....it was tricky getting reception!

And remakes...I’m not sure who was the most annoying - the old or new Will Robinson! But the Robot was cool in both versions.

And when do we get the automatic morning shower and prep for work gizmo ala George Jetson’s?

BluesKing777.

The aerial thing and science thing refers to Matt Damon in The Martian....it was tricky getting reception!

BluesKing777.

Never saw that movie so it went right over my head. But I do have fond memories of attaching clothes hangars and tin foil to an indoor antenna and then walking around with the attachment attempting to get better reception.

Haha! Memories too, of my dad on the roof turning the thing ever so slightly, but just a little too far with the lag time and not so quick response to the shouting out the window...STOP...NO BACK...STOP...A LITTLE MORE...STOP! Just an hour north of NYC we got 7 channels. He had a fine tune too, which was a six inch piece of foil wrapped around the antenna wire behind the TV which he would slide to ever so slightly sharpen the picture. Damn if it didn't work, too. When we got the motorized rotater it was like Father's Day and Christmas rolled together.

Haha! Memories too, of my dad on the roof turning the thing ever so slightly, but just a little too far with the lag time and not so quick response to the shouting out the window...STOP...NO BACK...STOP...A LITTLE MORE...STOP! Just an hour north of NYC we got 7 channels. He had a fine tune too, which was a six inch piece of foil wrapped around the antenna wire behind the TV which he would slide to ever so slightly sharpen the picture. Damn if it didn't work, too. When we got the motorized rotater it was like Father's Day and Christmas rolled together.

I will never forget WOR showing King Kong every Thanksgiving and that UHF Spanish language station out of Newark. John Zacherle hosted a music on it for a bit.

Yep...Creature Features and 'Mamaa' in the coffin. Old Zak died only a year or two ago, I think. But the best treat for a frustrated Catholic school kid was Soupy Sales. I think he taught me about the concept of irreverence, which may or may not have served me well in this ol' life.

My mother watched late afternoon hour long dramas, BK, but I think we all watched everything as one. My folks shuffled us off to bed by 10 or 11 so they could watch Johnny Carson, probably the only adult show on TV in the early/mid 60's.

I remember when Zacherle died. He was well into his 90s. There was nothing that guy did not do though - Chiller Theater, hosting various kids shows, DJ on a rock station. And Soupy Sales - Pookie! He got suspended after he told kids to go into their parents wallets and send him the green pieces of paper they found. Then there was WBAI. That station gave a lot of local talent their first place to be heard. They had those fund raisers where they would have Dylan or Phil Ochs waiting to go on live but held them back until they had raised $500 or something. Then they barricaded themselves in the transmitter room in the Empire State Bldg. after new management wanted to change the format.

Jesus, Woofie...you're giving me flashbacks. Million Dollar Movie all day Sat.

I get sad when I realize how badly I blew my first guitar lessons at 14 in '64. Just lazy, I guess, but my teacher was a Lawrence Welk guitar 'star' of the day and I was too young and dopey to be inspired.

Yikes, I'm old.

BAI was great. Out of Westchester, right?

Archived