Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Late 60's ES-335TD—Your thoughts?

Tom919

I recently got a great deal on a 2016 Late 60s ES-335TD. For those of you who own or have played one—What is your impression of the guitar? Mine came today, and I was bowled over by the great tone and playability. I took the guitar tonight to my luthier for set up. I will share more of my experience when I’ve had some more time with the guitar.

The ES-3x5 models coming out of Memphis the last few years have been outstanding as a whole from all accounts. You have a reissue which is a level above the "standard"s. But the "standard"s and even the Studios have been great.

I very much like the MHS pups. I've heard some say they are not bright enough for them. I think they are more "historically accurate" though, and have no complaints.

There have been some astounding buys on the 2016 Memphis lines, and I couldn't be happier that I cashed in on some.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Your post is helpful.

I love the guitar. It plays wonderfully, and sounds great. I like the MHS pups, too. The floating bridge is a new experience for me, and I think it adds to the rich tone of the guitar. The narrower 60’s neck will take some getting used to—my other guitars have wider, 50’s type necks, and this is different—but fun to play. I’ll post some pics tonight.

Archived