Gibson Brands Forums

What're you guys using for humidifiers these days?

dhanners623

Heading back to the U.S. next month for a few weeks and want to stock up on strings and other stuff I need. The main thing I need, though, are new guitar case humidifiers. Both of my instruments have Kyser soundhole humidifiers, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the sponges in both have mold. (And, no, I haven't been refilling them with distilled water.) I washed the sponges with soap and hot water and started using bottled water to refresh them, but it's probably time for something new.

Both guitars are stored in Gator lightweight polyfoam cases, so there's no room to stick one of those nice soapbox humidifiers under the headstock. Is there a soundhole humidifier (or otherwise small unit) you guys like? Anything I get that needs some sort of refreshing crystals (i.e., Oasis) are iffy unless I can stock up on the crystals, too. The few guitar shops we have here in the desert don't sell humidifiers, let alone crystals.

Hell, I'm lucky to find EJ-17s here, and when I do, they run a bit over $18 a set. That's why I stick up on my summer trips.

Don't the Kysers seal the soundhole? The only time I have ever used them is when a guitar needs a whole lot of humidity.

There are, of course, always the Planet Waves, Dampit and other humidifiers.

On some of my guitars I do use the Bovida humidpacks instead of the perforated soap dish with water beads. D'addario is also licensed to sell them. Not cheap but you just stick one pouch in the soundhole and the other under the headstock.

I have been able to buy the crystals to refresh the Oasis from Amazon. I have 2 Oasis units and I refresh them each once a year. I've refreshed them each twice already and I don't think I'm even halfway through all the crystals.

Oasis here too. I also use a dampit tube. which I think are the absolute safest humidifiers out there. Soft, wont' damage if dropped on the top, and wont leak.

the Kyser/D'Addrio, are similar right? I tried a D'Addario but if you drop that while trying to remove it, or put it in,, it'll leave a mark, (know this from experience.)

The oasis are soft, and are easy to get in and get out, but if they leak, that could be trouble. you do need to change the pellets between seasons, which is both cheap and easy. also really need distilled water too.

But I wonder why you would want to use a humidifier now? These would mostly be needed during cold weather months, when inside heat is running. once the RH in your neck of the woods gets around 45, there's no need to use em. Unless your neck of the woods is Alberta or Juno...

I take plastic bags, stick small holes in them all over them place. Then I drop small kitchen sponges inside, tie thr bags up, and fasten the ends of the bags inbetween the soundholes of my guitars. The end bag with the sponge and the holes will be dangling inside the guitar. I have done this for years, without any kind of problem. It basically costs nothing. I once used a Kyser soundhole humidifier but it melted the finish on the guitar where the vinyl of the humidifier touch the soundhole. Will never use one of those again.

Lars

I take plastic bags, stick small holes in them all over them place. Then I drop small kitchen sponges inside, tie thr bags up, and fasten the ends of the bags inbetween the soundholes of my guitars. The end bag with the sponge and the holes will be dangling inside the guitar. I have done this for years, without any kind of problem. It basically costs nothing. I once used a Kyser soundhole humidifier but it melted the finish on the guitar where the vinyl of the humidifier touch the soundhole. Will never use one of those again.

Lars

That sounds like a simple and workable solution. I'm thinking there is probably some scientific formula to determine the number of holes and their sizes.

A master luthier I know in the Twin Cities, Marty Reynolds, says the size of the holes makes a difference. He sells the soapbox humidifiers -- I've got a couple -- but they won't fit in a Gator polyfoam case. http://mnluthier.com/merchandise.html#hbox

That's interesting about your bad experience with the Kylser. I've never heard of that happening, but I don't doubt it. I've used them for years on guitars with nitro finishes and I've never had that happen. But each guitar finds a way to be different....

I've used the Damp Its, the Kyser sound hole type, the D'Addario types and then recently discovered the "Music Nomad" type. The Music Nomads are the best by far. The sponge is insanely dense and features a no drip sponge. You should use distilled but after a good soaking, the Music Nomads last me about 2 weeks without having to re-hydrate and my house is dry.

I'm serious, these are the best I've ever used.

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Humidity-Care/

Heading back to the U.S. next month for a few weeks and want to stock up on strings and other stuff I need. The main thing I need, though, are new guitar case humidifiers. Both of my instruments have Kyser soundhole humidifiers, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the sponges in both have mold. (And, no, I haven't been refilling them with distilled water.) I washed the sponges with soap and hot water and started using bottled water to refresh them, but it's probably time for something new.

Both guitars are stored in Gator lightweight polyfoam cases, so there's no room to stick one of those nice soapbox humidifiers under the headstock. Is there a soundhole humidifier (or otherwise small unit) you guys like? Anything I get that needs some sort of refreshing crystals (i.e., Oasis) are iffy unless I can stock up on the crystals, too. The few guitar shops we have here in the desert don't sell humidifiers, let alone crystals.

Hell, I'm lucky to find EJ-17s here, and when I do, they run a bit over $18 a set. That's why I stick up on my summer trips.

wow in my neck of the woods the problem is keeping the humidity down. the few times in the winter months when the humidity drops below 50 i just use a small room humidifier.

Archived