Gibson Brands Forums

Premature wear on J-15 neck?

hardycreek1

I've had my Montana J-15 3 years now & love it, but I just changed the strings & noticed some indentation on the neck. Read once that walnut was a softer wood than rosewood or ebony, makes me wonder what it will look like in 30 years?

Wonder if it would be covered under warranty? Anyone else having a similar issue?

Other than that the thing is a beauty!

I'm talking fret board on the high e & b & g strings, 2nd & 3rd & 4th frets.

Ah, fretboard divots! The length of your fingernails and your approach to fretting can be typical culprits. As for the walnut board, you pose an interesting question....

According to Janka, American Black Walnut is pretty far down the scale as compared to say, Brazilian Ebony, however it's still harder than maple, so our J-15's should still hold up better than my old Telecaster......

Ain't that the truth!

1958_Tele.jpg

My J 200 has divots in the Cowboy chord area ... But I played it for 5 hours a day for almost 10 years (most days)

JC

5 hours for about 10 years? That must be one beautifully played in guitar. Juan Carlos- don’t let “her” keep you from enjoying the big ‘200. Those guitars roll as large as they are big; a celebration of music, Gibson guitar building, and life. Play on.

Just make sure your nails are trimmed first.

This is my '61 twin pickup/double cut Melody Maker I got in '69 and was my only guitar until I got a '72 Les Paul "Recording" around 1980. I learned on it, I gigged it thousands of times, was gigging 3 nights a week in a biker bar in Apache Jct at age 16, drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and still going to High School during the day. Those were the days. There were Cougars in those days too, we just didn't have a name for them.

That's "real" Rosewood there, ya know.....

32ZwlKG.jpg

I gave it to my oldest son when he was 16 and we were living in Louisiana, and he gave it back to me several years ago. He doesn't play much and swears most of the "gunk" was there, if so it's mostly Arizona gunk dating back many decades and I simply can't clean it off.

5 hours for about 10 years? That must be one beautifully played in guitar. Juan Carlos- don’t let “her” keep you from enjoying the big ‘200. Those guitars roll as large as they are big; a celebration of music, Gibson guitar building, and life. Play on.

Just make sure your nails are trimmed first.

Thanks

The Binding was stark white when I got (it's a 2007 TV so they were not aging the binding at that point yet) and has become "earwax" yellow right up to the 14th fret (15th and beyond is still white) .I don't play with a pick so I have not done much damage to the finish other than the common scratches and dings ...The enamel on the first yellow dot closest to bridge is white at this point I guess from contact with my fingers over the years, the flower next to that dot is also partially faded.

You can tell it's been played but not abused.

This is the guitar that started my Gibson Acoustic addiction !

JC

Archived