Gibson Brands Forums

R61/T61 pickups

nopicknick

I am really liking the 61 series pickups in my 2018 SG. They sound fantastic clean or dirty. I've read somewhere they are basically Burstbuckers, but I have no idea. No need for a pickup swap at all. Anyone else like them as much as I do?

I have 61s in my LPM, which is my main gigging guitar, and Burstbucker Pros in my Les Paul Standard, which mostly hangs on the wall. I don't hear a huge difference between them. The LPM is a little brighter and perhaps marginally hotter, which might be as much to do with the increased stiffness of the maple neck as the pickups. Since I bought the circuit board from a Standard on Ebay, the LPM now has coil taps, and the 61s definitely sound brighter, sweeter and less harsh tapped than the Burstbuckers do.

The specs say both kinds of pickup have unbalanced coils, but the Burstbucker Pros have more wire on the inner coil with the slugs and the 61s have more wire on the outer coil with the screws. The Burstbuckers also have a "tuned" coil tap, so they probably aren't tapping the same amount of coil as the 61s.

Edited by paddybrown

I can say that I personally own a pair of 61T/61R pickups that I put in a Les Paul Traditional. They replaced the 57/57+ pickups that came stock. To me, the 61s sound like the 57s with a touch more high and low-end push. It took quite a while to dial in my rig after I changed the pickups because I wanted a similar but not the same sound as the 57s.

Honestly I am debating changing the 61s out for Burstbuckers. I really love the tone of Burstbuckers. The 57's and 61's just don't have the same tone as the BBs.

Regarding the 61's I think when coil tapped they sound a little better than the 57s. But I hardly use the coil taps.

If I were to blind test the 57s and the 61s I'd have a hard time guessing which one was which.

The 61's have an Alnico 5 magnet. To me, they sound a little more 'scooped' compared to the 57s. I think that is because they have a little more high and low end (and thus leaving the mids about the same as the 57s). Under gain they sound almost identical to the 57s. I think the 61s have a bit more 'bite'. They remind me of Pearly Gates without the fizz on the top.

I can tell you that the 61 neck pickup is missing something. I don't know what it is. Its not the same as the 57 neck which I liked. I have to spend some more time dialing in a better tone.

The 61s are staying in the guitar for now, but like I said I'm very partial to BBs so I might change them out for a pair.

I would probably not buy another set of 61s though and just keep the 57s or my preferred BBs. I don't think the 61s are terrible but they just don't sit well with my particular guitar/amp/setup. I use a Vintage Modern 50w amp and Marshall IRs for cabinets. I have not tried the 61s through my brand new Origin 20 however.

Sorry for the rambling post. Just trying to give you some insight into the 61s. The 61s probably sound better in the SG. I don't have an SG to swap them into.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can say that I personally own a pair of 61T/61R pickups that I put in a Les Paul Traditional. They replaced the 57/57+ pickups that came stock. To me, the 61s sound like the 57s with a touch more high and low-end push. It took quite a while to dial in my rig after I changed the pickups because I wanted a similar but not the same sound as the 57s.

Honestly I am debating changing the 61s out for Burstbuckers. I really love the tone of Burstbuckers. The 57's and 61's just don't have the same tone as the BBs.

Regarding the 61's I think when coil tapped they sound a little better than the 57s. But I hardly use the coil taps.

If I were to blind test the 57s and the 61s I'd have a hard time guessing which one was which.

The 61's have an Alnico 5 magnet. To me, they sound a little more 'scooped' compared to the 57s. I think that is because they have a little more high and low end (and thus leaving the mids about the same as the 57s). Under gain they sound almost identical to the 57s. I think the 61s have a bit more 'bite'. They remind me of Pearly Gates without the fizz on the top.

I can tell you that the 61 neck pickup is missing something. I don't know what it is. Its not the same as the 57 neck which I liked. I have to spend some more time dialing in a better tone.

The 61s are staying in the guitar for now, but like I said I'm very partial to BBs so I might change them out for a pair.

I would probably not buy another set of 61s though and just keep the 57s or my preferred BBs. I don't think the 61s are terrible but they just don't sit well with my particular guitar/amp/setup. I use a Vintage Modern 50w amp and Marshall IRs for cabinets. I have not tried the 61s through my brand new Origin 20 however.

Sorry for the rambling post. Just trying to give you some insight into the 61s. The 61s probably sound better in the SG. I don't have an SG to swap them into.

I C U have bought one of the MARSHALL "ORIGIN" AMPS,YES? the Origin 20, N-I-C-E ! and I wish I had waited instead of getting the MARSHALL DSL 40C as its kind of a disappointment to me......It tends to clip at Hi-GAIN settings and has been in the shop on a warranty repair already. The 'ORIGIN' series caught my eye as they are advertised as 'PEDAL FRIENDLY', so its onto Craigs List with the DSL, as soon as I can get a word on the 'ORIGIN' series amps or play thru one at a store(Yet to even see one in a store!).The DSL series was highly recommended and maybe I just got a bad one, IDK, but itssa disappointment for sure.

SO, how is the goin' with the 'ORIGIN 20'? How many Pedals are running into the front input? or do you make use of the EFFECTS LOOP (if it has one, I have yet to see one in person)? HEADROOM OK ? How about low end BASS, no BUZZ on the grill? IDK 4 sure but I was told MARSHALL just came out with this series (2017) of amps and that they are BAD-A$$. So I'm just lookin for an opinion from someone that has one (IDK anyone that does) if you don't mind.....thinkin of getting one of those BAD-BOYS. TNX in advance !!

The Origin 20 is a great amp. I use the head version into a Torpedo Captor and use Celestion IRs with Wall of Sound. Sounds BOSS!

I use it at full volume and mostly full gain. It has a little more gain than my Vintage Modern in LDR.

I use a Soul Food and a an OD Glove and the Origin handles it great. I use the amps gain rather than pedals in mos cases.

I had a DSL a few years ago. I thought it was a nice amp. But the Origin is definitely more my style. I liken the Origin to a JMP Marshall with its EL34 power plant. My Vintage Modern is more like a JTM Marshall.

• Like 1

As a follow up to the Gibson 61 pickups. I’ve replaced them with Classic 57s and I’m happier. The 61s just didn’t do it for me in my Les Paul. Can’t put my finger on exactly why. The 57s however are perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to the Gibson 61 pickups. I've replaced them with Classic 57s and I'm happier. The 61s just didn't do it for me in my Les Paul. Can't put my finger on exactly why. The 57s however are perfect.

Thanks for the good word on the 'ORIGIN'. I have not really been too impressed with the MARSHALL DSL 40C Combo I have. It has already been in the shoppe on a warraty repair and I do not use the ULTRA-GAIN Channel at all, as it will 'CLIP OUT' easily if a Over-Drive pedal is put in front of it. The clean channels ,I must say, are pretty damn good, CLEAR is the word, and I am between getting rid of it or just standing pat. I play in stereo with a VOX NIGHT-TRAIN 15C-1 Combo and the two together do what I need them to do quite well.(Stick a mic in front of each and run thru a P.A. and ROCK !). I only just got the VOX as a Stop-Gap measure to have something to play thru while the DSL was in the shoppe for a month and I admit its a bit of a mis-match but getting them to sound equal takes not much effort. Plus two speakers is better than one ! I have a short PEDAL CHAIN going through the front end and its never more than four pedals and it's usually just three (Fulltone 'OCD'/Compressor/STEREO CHORUS) with the STEREO CHORUS going out to both AMP IN-PUTS. I run a Noise Reducer through both AMPS effects Loops to deal with the HUM I get but its really not much and the NR cleans what little HUM is present up really well.

I wanted to change my TONE, so I got rid of my good ole Digi-Tech GSL Legend 21 EFFECTS PROCESSOR and FENDER Solid-State AMPS and went FULL RETRO w/Analog Foot Pedals and TUBE AMP's and I am really glad I did. I almost can not believe I put up with the TONE I had for twenty years. The DSL AMP I picked being the only thing I'd change so far.......

I saw the advert regarding the ORIGIN series and like the 'PEDAL FRIENDLY' part of it. The DSL 40C was an AMP I wanted since it came out and I heard nothing but rave reviews about it but it is NOT 'PEDAL FRIENDLY' in a true sense as the ULTRA GAIN Channel is useless for me. I only use the JCM 800 part of the 'CLASSIC GAIN' Channel and wish it could be easier to hit the '59 SUPER PLEXI-LEAD part of the 'Classic GAIN' Channel to cut thru when necessary but I have to walk over and hit the button, so its not real functional at all.

I think the 'ORIGIN' Series will be just the thing I need to get that ROCK SOLID MARSHALL TONE with just 2 or 3 pedals out front of it, too bad it came out after the DSL series. Now I gotta get rid of the two AMPS I have and then.... GO FOR IT ! The FENDER REVERBS and FREIDMAN 'Dirty Shirley's of this world are just a bit too pricey and I think I can get the TONE I want and not have to spend $1800+ to get it.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, goodguy said:

Does anyone know if the 61’s are zebra under the nickel covers ? 

Was curious about that also.  I asked about that last year with the 2018's, but never did hear anything one way or the other.   

• Like 1

The 61s are zebra (I have them in a classic uncovered).    Both the Burstbucker Pro and the 61s use Alnico 5 magnets.  The different sound is from the different windings.  The BB rhythm has 5000 winds on the pole side, and 5200 on the slug side.  BB lead has 5300 on the pole side, and 5500 on the slug.

The 61R and T are both wound the same (as back in the day they didn't use different pickups for rhythm or lead positions) and they have 5261 winds on the pole side, but only 5000 on the slug side.

19 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

The 61s are zebra (I have them in a classic uncovered).......  

The 61R and T are both wound the same (as back in the day they didn't use different pickups for rhythm or lead positions) and they have 5261 winds on the pole side, but only 5000 on the slug side.

I have them in a 2015 SG Special, and really like them in the SG.  I have, and was more used to SG with 490/498 pups.  I bought the 2015 new dirt cheap (including the hardshell case), and figured with it being a "lesser" SG, I'd just flip it.  But I like the sound, quality, and feel so much I kept it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

The 61s are zebra (I have them in a classic uncovered).    Both the Burstbucker Pro and the 61s use Alnico 5 magnets.  The different sound is from the different windings.  The BB rhythm has 5000 winds on the pole side, and 5200 on the slug side.  BB lead has 5300 on the pole side, and 5500 on the slug.

Thx Twang Gang:

Did you uncover them or did they come uncovered? I’m considering buying some nickel covered stock 61’s from a recent SG. 

Wondering if Gibson puts all black under covers or if some come with Zebra?  Wondering if I take off the covers, will they be all black or Zebra underneath. 

Edited by goodguy

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 5:23 AM, goodguy said:

....Wondering if Gibson puts all black under covers or if some come with Zebra?  Wondering if I take off the covers, will they be all black or Zebra underneath. 

They have a pair of black covers.   The 2018 '61R and '61T and up are not zebra under the chrome covers.   I finally took one apart, here's the pics.   

61Rpup.jpg

61Rpupopen.jpg

Also, these newer  '61R/T pups do sound somewhat different than the 61 Zebras that came in my 2015 SG Special.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a ‘61 in my 2015 LP CM that I just picked up a couple months ago from Sam Ash as a NOS steal.  Finally getting around to setting everything up as I like!

Question is, does this support a coil tap?   I have read offsetting viewpoints on that, and the incorrect use of the terminology (tap v split) further clouds the answers. 

Can anyone give me a confirmation on this?

Thanks, JD. 

Edited by AKillerInTheSun
Misspelling

If your humbucker has 4 wires (5 if you count the bare groundwire), then yes.

The humbucker in the above post can be setup for "coil split" as the two sets of wires, one pair for each coil, can be wired accordingly. 

Neither of these coils are "tapped" mid winding. 😉

Edited by arcticsg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

They came in my 2019 60s Les Paul Standard.  I have to agree that they have a lot of emphasis on the high and low end.  I would not describe the midrange as scooped but there is definitely less presence in this respect.  I believe the Alnico 5 mags have a lot to do with these characteristics.  They have a great sound for clean jazz and a nice bite when overdriven.   They are not the warmest of pups but they are well balanced.  Different tools for different jobs

• 3 months later...

I'm extremely unhappy with these pickups.  The bridge pickup is so harsh, brash and ice picky no matter how I set the height.  There's no balance to it at all.  The neck isn't too bad, but I can't seem to get that one bright enough for my tastes.  And they're noisy, very noisy.  Any chance they'd sound better hand wired rather than on the PCB?

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Paul O. said:

The newer (2019 and 2020) Origin Series '59 and '60  LP Standards with 61R and 61T Burstbucker pickups do not have the "Patent Applied For" stickers on the bottom.

Does anybody know why?

Perhaps the patent had been granted by that time?

:-k

• 2 months later...

Just bought a LP Standard that came with 61's. I'm not a big fan of Alnico 5 , at least not in the bridge , just seems a little ice picky to my ears, I'd rather Alnico 2 , at least in the bridge,  I've bought Alnico 2 PU magnets from SteMac and was wondering if anyone has changed the 61T alnico 5's out and just slipped in the Alnico 2 mags? Or has anyone changed out any Alnico 5 mag's and replace the Mag only with 2's ?  Just wondering if it should warm up the bridge or is it a waste of time and i should just go buy another Bridge PU. ?

Regards

Dwayne 

Edited by abear