Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo Square Shoulder Custom

Boss Radio

I love square shoulder Gibson's.So here's what I want to do. Have a made to fit {custom order} as Gibson calls it a 2018 SJ square shoulder with vintage sunburst. Using the 2016 limited run 1967 Southern Jumbo as reference. The dealer sent me the quote for a. Mahogany etc...I started to think why not go Rosewood with Adirondack top, hide glue entire construction and short scale. I have a 2018 Hummingbird love the mahogany sound but I want a beefier, bassier sound a cannon sound. What configuration would you choose? Mahogany or Rosewood? Or am I building a an Advanced Jumbo?

If it's a square shoulder, it's not an AJ.

The only rosewood SJ's that I am aware of were several batches of banner SJ's made in the early 1940s, but those were round shoulder.

It's your money, so you should get what appeals to you.

Welcome hey and HEP for an exciting mission ahead. This is goin' to be a special ride for you (and hopefully this Board).

As you already have the H-bird why not go rosewood.

Though I know the bracing, the lacquer and the p-guard thickness differ, staying in hog would probably provide you with 2 quite identical guitars (which is interesting too).

Again a bit in split-minds here. Simply because the short scale mahogany squares are so cool'n'sweet.

Keep us informed - and best of luck.

Welcome to the forum, Boss. There were three Hummingbirds around here at one time, the preferred one was the HB Rosewood, for it's clarity and low end. If you're looking for "cannon" (a shopworn term, anymore), you'd probably want to look elsewhere than Hummingbirds. Most Advanced Jumbos would fit that bill. Keep in mind- that favored Rosebird mentioned above could just be a luck of the draw; maybe a good wood selection, maybe an optimized set up, maybe the right people in Bozeman were having a good day- it's the nature of acoustic guitars. If you do a custom build, there are no guarantees that your guitar will be what you want it to be. Also keep in mind there are some corporate/financial things set to happen for Big G in August- might want to see how that settles out, and move from there. In the meantime, just keep kissing acoustic frogs, one of them might be "the one".

Good luck with it all. This is definitely a you pays your money you takes your chances kind of a thing. I guess I am too scaredy to pay before I play. Just thinking about something like one of the Made 2 Measure Gibsons - what body wood, how narrow a waist, 12 or 14 fret neck, what type of bracing. The mind wobbles.

Had to erase my last line as there of course (like burst says and owns) are short rose Birds.

What I meant about a groundbreaking expedition was that there aren't any square rose SJs, , , and non whatsoever with the contemporary version of the old braces.

That said, I'm close to sure that you will find it intrituing to know that I some 18 months ago happened to enter a shop where there recently had been circa 20 of these new (hog) 1967 SJs in.

Which meant that the guy who sat them up before sale (they were all pre-sold) for a brief moment in space'n'time had the opportunity to make a serious A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S/T/U.

This clone-fest for obvious reasons made delirious me ask how individuals varied.

And the answer was, "not much - they were almost alike".

. . . which meant that the guy who sat them up before sale (they were all pre-sold) for a brief moment in space'n'time had the opportunity to make a serious A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S/T/U.

That would be something.

This clone-fest for obvious reasons made delirious me ask how individuals varied.

And the answer was, "not much - they were almost alike".

Could he have been more of an Electric guy?

All lawn mowers sound the same to me on Sunday mornings.

Could he have been more of an Electric guy?

All lawn mowers sound the same to me on Sunday mornings.

As far as I know he would be sensitive to what he's talking about. And our exchange went a few sentences further than just the 2 above.

Then again he was at work while possibly both restringing and twisting truss rods en masse and might even have had a deadline.

Gotta ask again when we meet during the comin' summer.

I'm not clear on who the dealer is that would make this guitar for you. Is it Gibson? It's obviously your choice, but I figure for the kind of money needed for this guitar that there are already at least several thousand Gibsons on the market that would sound as good or better (depending on who is doing the listening). Even if Gibson is making it, it won't actually be an AJ, Hummingbird, Southern Jumbo, Dove, etc. It will be a conglomeration of various Gibson guitars. It will likely be an excellent instrument, but still a conglomeration of different guitars. And after all that money spent, there is no guarantee that the guitar will be what the buyer is imagining it will be. I'm just a guitar hack who likes Gibson guitars. I'm happy with a Hummingbird/J45/etc. just sounding a feeling like part of who I am. There are so many awesome Gibsons out there. Many you can even play before you buy it. I bet many are a bigger cannon than someone could have built...........Whatever you decide to do, I hope you take us along for the journey. Lots of nice folks in here. Welcome to the forum. [thumbup]

As a left handed player probably 60% of my gibson guitars have been ordered through the Montana "custom shop" .

I will tell you that if you want the guitar of your dreams and have the means ... Don't be afraid to sit with your dealer spec out what you want and place the order ... I have been very satisfied with the guitars I have ordered !

If you want to mix and match specs because your heart tells you that's what it wants to do ... then listen to it.

I have one rosewood Sj 200 ... which I was a bit nervous ordering [i'm a maple guy through and through] but it turns out it didn't sound muddy like all the rosewood martins I had played up to that point.

JC

I have been playing Gibson acoustics for over 50 years. The reason is obviously that I liked them just the way they rolled out of the factory which in my case was in Kalamazoo. That said, the neck which I am most at ease with is that on my 1935 Capital. A nice fat V carve French Heel neck. It is the easiest playing Gibson I own. So what f I could get something like an SJ with the mid-1930s tall thin non-scalloped slight taper bracing with that neck. The possibilities do get me running for the drool bucket. Yeah, I could dig up a 1936 Trojan or J-35 but just imagine the possibility of getting that in a new guitar. If that ain't tempting I do not know what is. Plus a new CS guitar could not cost more than one of those two guitars.

buy a vintage guitar...

A possibility - then without the hyper exciting challenge and opportunity to create ones own spezial darling.

But yes, if you are sensitive to the certain flavor laid in the woods by 40-50-60 years of vibrations and drying out, nothing can replace it - nothing.

buy a vintage guitar...

I own five Gibsons built between 1935 and 1961. With a custom build, you can come up with a now for something completely different Gibson but risk taking the Gibson out of the guitar. But, as example, I own a 1957 CF-100E which I think is the sexiest Gibson ever built. Love the sound. But if there is anything about the guitar I would change it would be to give it a slightly beefier neck and a 1 3/4" nut much like a Banner LG. Yes, the RI from a few years back came with a 1.725" nut. But under the hood the RI was pure modern Gibson so significantly different than the original. As even a Legend version would not get me where I want, it would leave me with a custom build as my only option.

Archived