Gibson Brands Forums

Do You Have More Or Less GAS As You've Grown Older?

Jeff Bostic

Sorry, if you throw one down the middle like that, I'm gonna swing. I find that I'm buying (and selling) more than I used to, probably due to a little extra discretionary money. I see that changing soon as I am contemplating retirement. So, I'll enjoy it while I can.

Considerably less, even though I still play as much as I did before.

For my 40th birthday last year I had planned on buying, and had saved for, a Rickenbacker 620.

When my birthday arrived and it came time to go shopping, though, I just couldn't get sufficiently excited. I ended up putting the money towards something I actually needed, a new (to me) car. Make the car payments go down faster. I enjoy that used Chevy Impala much, much more than I would have enjoyed the Rick, to be honest.

I'm happy with my little stable of guitars. There's nothing there that is a "prestige" guitar: a Hagstrom Viking (China), a Mexican Tele, a couple of old Yamaha Pacificas (one set up for slide), a Guild (China) acoustic, and a cheap Ibby bass. The Hagstrom gets by far the most playing time.

I guess I just grew out of collecting guitars, certainly after selling quite a few in the last decade (including a US Strat and Tele). Oddly enough, of what I sold I miss my G-400 the most, but not enough to go and buy a replacement. I enjoy playing what I have. I may add a (cheap, used) 12 string electric, just because of something I'm working on at the moment.

None of which is intended as a comment against GAS-fiends! Whatever makes you happy!

I find I have less. I'm now down to one guitar, one amp, and a multi-effects box. Also, I've cut down on broccoli and cauliflower.

I'm the opposite.......fixated on acoustics and swag, and eating more broccoli and cauliflower than evermsp_thumbup.gif

Less. My LP and my V cover my needs nicely. There's no particular piece of gear I lust after.

Part of it is probably because I was never really into a lot of FX stuff. I love listening to players who utilize all kinds of boxes, but it's not for me.

I had a new LP hardcase that was bugging me because it was empty. I started watching for a LP with P-90's that met my requirements. I haven't had a fancy LP for a very long time as I have been playing Jr style LP's and SG's. So when a Red Epi 56 LP Standard Pro popped up on my screen, I was done for. Anyway 8 of my guitars all qualify to be my Number 1. Two of which are Gibson's, five are Epi's and one custom built Explorer. My new LP is wonderful to play, it is so solid, precise but way heavier than anything else I have. I rotate through all of these guitars when practicing, but have great difficulty selecting one to go jam with. I have been setting up guitars for a very long time so they all play extremely well. I am a 22nd fret man so for me my SG's have the best fret access followed by my LP DC's, then the Explorer, then Blueshawk's but 22 on the new LP Standard is the most difficult to reach. But I just need to practice getting there.

My GAS seems to be worse, I think the changes in the economy and Epiphone making more affordable quality guitars has fed my disease.. If I had to choose one, I think it would be my Epi Blueshawk because it is so versatile. But they are all sooooo gooood, although the preciseness and solid feel of my new LP Standard with its rounded C profile neck is unsettling. [confused]

Living on an Island my GAS has partly been fueled by finding reasonable price and shipping costs. I have sold 3 Gibson's this year. The Pacific Island humidity is causing me to move away from nitro finish to polyurethane finished guitars.

Runs in patterns for me, always has. I find I'm less inclined to pull the trigger as quickly as I used to. Been thinking about another 12 string acoustic, got the green light from Finance, but I'm dragging feet a bit.

Less. I've realized over the years that between acoustic, electrics, 6 and 12 string, various p/u combo's, body shapes/styles, another guitar is not going to serve any need I can't already enjoy with what I have. Same goes for amps, pedals, etc. What I've got is what I need, no more, no less. I'm saving lots of money now, but jeez, what did it cost me to get here? [flapper] .

Less. I've realized over the years that between acoustic, electrics, 6 and 12 string, various p/u combo's, body shapes/styles, another guitar is not going to serve any need I can't already enjoy with what I have. Same goes for amps, pedals, etc. What I've got is what I need, no more, no less. I'm saving lots of money now, but jeez, what did it cost me to get here? [flapper] .

That's my take too. At one point I lost all my gear (hard times). When I did get back on track with something I could live with I figured out I'm just a simple hack. And I'm okay with that B).

You can't let them push you around. You must be Master Of Your Domain :-({|= .

I am master of my little harem of guitars but I can't control the tropical humidity. They each need to be played or wiped down at least every couple of days. Condensation will cause oxidation buildup that needs to be removed. My white SG got neglected while I was enjoying my new LP and fret 22 got sticky. But all good now.[thumbup]

I am master of my little harem of guitars but I can't control the tropical humidity. They each need to be played or wiped down at least every couple of days. Condensation will cause oxidation buildup that needs to be removed. My white SG got neglected while I was enjoying my new LP and fret 22 got sticky. But all good now.[thumbup]

Wow I thought the humidity was bad here in south Louisiana, but you've got that beat by a long shot. Hopefully you're not having to contend with threats from Kilauea too. That's got to be scary for the folks on the big island.

Wow I thought the humidity was bad here in south Louisiana, but you've got that beat by a long shot. Hopefully you're not having to contend with threats from Kilauea too. That's got to be scary for the folks on the big island.

I am on the Big Island closer the lava flow in Lei Lani than Kilauea creator, but at a relatively safe distance. Main concern is the bad air from the Vog but it just rained cleaning and cooling the air. Living on a volcano can be challenging at times.

I am on the Big Island closer the lava flow in Lei Lani than Kilauea creator, but at a relatively safe distance. Main concern is the bad air from the Vog but it just rained cleaning and cooling the air. Living on a volcano can be challenging at times.

Christ. Keep safe bro.

I was 14 the first time I got paid to play, at the time I felt lucky to have one decent guitar. Eventually, I found it was really good to have a backup in case things went horribly wrong. Later three turned out to be my magic number, later still with one or two Ibanez with a Floyd Rose. When I got my first new Gibson, an SG-X, I converted to fixed bridges and used a Whammy pedal when needed. After this my GAS started while collecting Jr style P-90 powered Gibson's and Epiphone's..

Archived