Gibson Brands Forums

Carson J. Robison guitars...any info on these or players on the forum?

Jinder

Hi all,

Just a quick Q-I’m currently GASing for a small bodied Gibson or similar to round off the guitar arsenal I need-or want, if I’m honest!-to cut my next record (SJ200, J180, Maple AJ, J45, Bird 6 string and Bird 12!string, plus *insert parlour here*).

I really want a Maple Nick Lucas, but such a guitar is out of the reach of my pocketbook at the moment. I recently played a first generation Robert Johnson signature L1 which I LOVED, but another guitar has recently caught my eye, a 1936 Carson J. Robison, basically a Wards catalogue guitar, but one made by Gibson (essentially a Kalamazoo KG14). It’s ladder braced and a very cool little guitar. I haven’t had a chance to play it, but I’m interested in people’s opinions on them...does anyone own one? Has anyone played one? If so, I’d love to know your thoughts.

I’m not set on it by any means, just exploring options.

Carson J Robison had his name on a number of Ward's re-branded instruments in the 30s. The KG-11 version is I think the most common. There may be a KG-14 version, but I have not come across one.

The guitar to the left of center is a 1934 Carson J Robison (KG-11) and the center guitar is a late 30s KG-14. Here are some demos. These are great guitars IMO.

https://vimeo.com/groups/532603

Zoos.jpg

I think Roy Bookbinder used to play one until recently? This looks suspicously like

which is also X-braced according to the venerable Neil Harpe. https://umgf.com/vie...63320&p=1965504

Because these were (relatively) cheap and old, they were always candidates for re-bracing. The result was a guitar that got you (part way) to (say) a real L-00.

Personally I would never do it -- they are unique and wonderful as they are -- but I would never tell anyone what to do with their guitars. But also I already own a number of x-braced "similar" 30s Gibsons.msp_biggrin.gif

Best,

-Tom

Only Carson Robinson I ever owned was a Regal version. Funky little guitar with an oval soundhole and valve cover tuners.

I do own a 1930s deep maple body X braced guitar. It was built by Kay Kraft. I own the Oahu version which has a body with virtually identical specs to a Lucas. Kay Kraft also made them under their name giving you the choice of mahogany, maple or rosewood bodies. Mine is an early version still sporting the asymmetrical Kay Kraft headstock. The Oahu was not a cheap guitar in its day selling for a princely $98. One today, while still not cheap, will run you a whole lot less than a NL. If you do not give a fig about originality those with converted necks (most were built with square necks) can be found even cheaper. Supertone also made a version in the 1930s. I recently ran across one but it was the first and only one I had ever seen.

Oahu_Jumbo_zpsc0783afb.jpg

Oahu_Jumbo3_zps5a44e98f.jpg

Oahu_Ad.jpg

If you're after a smaller maple body, how about a CJ-165?

I'm also a big fan of the '70s Guild F-30. Similar to the 165, it had a 15" small jumbo-shaped body, but only available in mahogany or rosewood (note that earlier & later versions of the F-30 were shaped like a Martin 000, and are an altogether different animal).

I had a chance to play one of the Carson J Robisons that shares the body shape of the L-00. It was ladder braced and had a huge neck with a very sharp V to it. Not the most comfortable guitar to play. I would suggest you play one first before you purchase, especially if you've never experienced a ladder braced guitar like this before. The one I played was a great sounding example but I don't know how I would describe it other than that it had the typical ladder braced tonal characteristics. The Waterloo WL-14 I tried at one point sounded very similar. Look for some videos of the Waterloos and you'll get the idea. Personally I'd look for a Waterloo and buy new to avoid some of the potential repairs of the Carson J Robison unless I was specifically looking for a vintage guitar.

FAE3548D-1768-4856-999B-53C7BA6476AD_zpsynccrljt.jpg

I agree with the CJ-165. Here's one compared to an L00.

A little pricey but here's an L200.

https://www.ebay.com...119.m1438.l2649

I owned a CJ165 (a very early one badged as a J165) back in 2008, it was a sweet guitar but had a deformed top which creased in a weird way. I wasn’t happy with it so returned it and bought my 2006 Hummingbird which was a stalwart guitar of my arsenal for several years.

The 165 was a lovely sounding thing though, I’d definitely consider another. An L200 would be even better!

I had a chance to play one of the Carson J Robisons that shares the body shape of the L-00. It was ladder braced and had a huge neck with a very sharp V to it. Not the most comfortable guitar to play. I would suggest you play one first before you purchase, especially if you've never experienced a ladder braced guitar like this before. The one I played was a great sounding example but I don't know how I would describe it other than that it had the typical ladder braced tonal characteristics. The Waterloo WL-14 I tried at one point sounded very similar. Look for some videos of the Waterloos and you'll get the idea. Personally I'd look for a Waterloo and buy new to avoid some of the potential repairs of the Carson J Robison unless I was specifically looking for a vintage guitar.

Very interesting thoughts, thankyou! I gather the L-00 shaped Carsons are quite a rarity, did you try it recently?

Hi all,

Just a quick Q-I’m currently GASing for a small bodied Gibson or similar to round off the guitar arsenal I need-or want, if I’m honest!-to cut my next record (SJ200, J180, Maple AJ, J45, Bird 6 string and Bird 12!string, plus *insert parlour here*).

I really want a Maple Nick Lucas, but such a guitar is out of the reach of my pocketbook at the moment. I recently played a first generation Robert Johnson signature L1 which I LOVED, but another guitar has recently caught my eye, a 1936 Carson J. Robison, basically a Wards catalogue guitar, but one made by Gibson (essentially a Kalamazoo KG14). It’s ladder braced and a very cool little guitar. I haven’t had a chance to play it, but I’m interested in people’s opinions on them...does anyone own one? Has anyone played one? If so, I’d love to know your thoughts.

I’m not set on it by any means, just exploring options.

Is the CJR in the UK, Jinder?

Err...CITES....Brazilian rosewood and pearl dots on the almost identical Kalamazoo KG-14 on sale at Elderly was quoted to me at a 3-6 month wait for the CITES documents plus a fee of $US150 for the rosewood and $100 for the pearl dots!

I would look at something else - I adore my Waterloo WL-14X, close copy of the Zoo in mahogany/sitka. They also have the maple 14 ftret Scissortail. Sensational stuff with Collings fastidious thrown to the winds, but they can’t help themselves! Perfect intonation, big Zoo type neck, frets, bridge, saddle, nut! ETC!

BluesKing777.

Is the CJR in the UK, Jinder?

Err...CITES....Brazilian rosewood and pearl dots on the almost identical Kalamazoo KG-14 on sale at Elderly was quoted to me at a 3-6 month wait for the CITES documents plus a fee of $US150 for the rosewood and $100 for the pearl dots!

I would look at something else - I adore my Waterloo WL-14X, close copy of the Zoo in mahogany/sitka. They also have the maple 14 ftret Scissortail. Sensational stuff with Collings fastidious thrown to the winds, but they can’t help themselves! Perfect intonation, big Zoo type neck, frets, bridge, saddle, nut! ETC!

BluesKing777.

Yep it’s in the UK-I wouldn’t want to go through all the CITES red tape!! I’m picking up my Maple AJ from Wildwood next month and they’ve had to sort CITES permits and allsorts, I wouldn’t fancy doing it myself.

The Waterloos are very appealing, I’ll try one!

Archived