Gibson Brands Forums

Kodachrome

drathbun

I thought I'd take a bash at a good old strummer of a tune by Paul Simon, "Kodachrome". It sounds great when you can really dig in and drive this guitar.

I stuck the iRig Stage pickup on the guitar and panned the guitar and vocals left and right. The vocal is on the Rode NT1 condenser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4jEDz-i_z8

Nice one, Doug! That SJ-200 has a HUGE voice when driven hard.

Listening to this sent me down a J-200 rabbit hole, where I inevitably crashed at the feet of Pete Townshend.

Surely there is no better guitar for hard strumming, whether in maple or rosewood.

Thanks for pulling the trigger on this.

With Nick mentioning something about an SJ-200 being flogged, I just had to click. And I was not disappointed, especially towards the end. A real toe-tapper. Grabbing a capo is not a regular thing for me, but a maple super jumbo combined with a capo just became something to look into [smile]

Very nice and fun cover! You got me a little curious about the iRig pickup. Sounds great!

Lars

Thanks, everyone for your kind comments.

Lars: I like the iRig because it is convenient, non-permanent and I can get a decent sound out of it. There are a couple of things I don't like about it:

1. The slot for the soundboard clip is too narrow for the J200 because the pickguard goes right to the edge of the soundhole.
  2. The wire from the pickup to the beltpack is waaaay too thin and fragile.

I did a YouTube video of the unboxing of my iRig and at the end of the video is an audio comparison between the iRig and a Rode M5 condenser mic. I flip back and forth between the mic and the pickup with no processing and then use EQ, compression and reverb in comparison and then mixed together. I found the results very enlightening.

BTW. I listened to your Soundcloud tracks - wonderful songs, beautiful voice and beautiful, clear acoustic recording and playing. Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dussXPzJTE

Yes, I watched your iRig video. Very good information. If I ever get up the nerve to start playing gigs, I think it would be a very good sounding and convenient choice.

Thank you so much for the kinds words regarding my songs. It means a lot. I really had to work hard at it. I'm not a natural talent.

Lars

Yes, I watched your iRig video. Very good information. If I ever get up the nerve to start playing gigs, I think it would be a very good sounding and convenient choice.

Thank you so much for the kinds words regarding my songs. It means a lot. I really had to work hard at it. I'm not a natural talent.

Lars

I hear what you are saying Lars. I can't sing or play anything without doing 1000 takes. I play live at an open mic or something, I’m wracked with remorse for weeks afterwards about how awful I sounded and how many mistakes I made and screwed up lyrics. Thank the programming Gods for multitracking, editing, effects and Melodyne!

I hear what you are saying Lars. I can't sing or play anything without doing 1000 takes. I play live at an open mic or something, I’m wracked with remorse for weeks afterwards about how awful I sounded and how many mistakes I made and screwed up lyrics. Thank the programming Gods for multitracking, editing, effects and Melodyne!

Yes, I know the "1000 take" approach. I use it all the time [biggrin]

It is a frustrating not to have the ability to put all the pieces together at once, but I try to focus on and be happy for what I can do, and try to ignore what I can't do.

I have a new song written right now, but I just can't seem to learn to play and sing it in passable quality from start to finish. I will be a while still...

Lars

Yes, I know the "1000 take" approach. I use it all the time [biggrin]

It is a frustrating not to have the ability to put all the pieces together at once, but I try to focus on and be happy for what I can do, and try to ignore what I can't do.

I have a new song written right now, but I just can't seem to learn to play and sing it in passable quality from start to finish. I will be a while still...

Lars

Thanks BBG and Kelly for the compliments.

Lars: I've played some songs for decades and still blank on the lyrics. Whenever I play live, my wife is with me and she sometimes sings harmony. But I lean on her to mouth the first word of the verse whenever I look to her with panic in my face. All I need is the first word sometimes and the rest of the song just flows.

Drat you Drathburn. I've not been able to get this song out of my head for a week now. Almost purchased it as a RingTone.

LMAO! I'm going to post "El Condor Pasa" in a moment. That will get that earworm out of your head! :)

Archived