Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So here are a couple of tunes....

#1 User is offline   dhanners623 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:40 PM

I've posted home-brew videos of me doing these songs before, but a few weeks ago, some local guys who run a studio asked me to come in to record a few videos. I was happy with how they came out. Playing the J-35 in both.

"Where the Wabash Meets the Ohio"

"Refugee"
[media][/url]
Check out my latest record, There Are No Secrets in This Town, by going to https://davidhannersmusic.com. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   fretplay 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:51 AM

Very good David, I love the percussive left hand and the songs are full of soul, great stuff.

I can't get into your web site is it down?

#3 User is offline   dhanners623 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

View Postfretplay, on 15 May 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

Very good David, I love the percussive left hand and the songs are full of soul, great stuff.

I can't get into your web site is it down?

Thanks for the kind words. My website isn't down. I changed it and never thought to change the reference to it here. Better go do that.

The new website is https://davidhannersmusic.com

This post has been edited by dhanners623: 15 May 2018 - 06:42 AM

Check out my latest record, There Are No Secrets in This Town, by going to https://davidhannersmusic.com. Thanks!

#4 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

I like the songs David.. especially Refugee.

I never realized before that you play lefty, but strung upside down!! :)
/Ray

#5 User is offline   drathbun 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

Great vids! I too am fascinated by your lefty guitar strung upside down. I can only assume you learned to play on a right-handed guitar turned upside down and then just strung a lefty in reverse? It makes the sound very unique as you hit the treble strings with the downstrokes first. Nice recording setup too. Looks like a Shure 55 and SM57 - classic.
Beware of Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret
2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   Lars68 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

I like the songs a lot. Your style is very rhytmic with great lyrics and melodies.

Lars

P.S. I've got an SM57, but have never used it on acoustic, might be time to try it...

#7 User is offline   dhanners623 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

View Postdrathbun, on 15 May 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

Great vids! I too am fascinated by your lefty guitar strung upside down. I can only assume you learned to play on a right-handed guitar turned upside down and then just strung a lefty in reverse? It makes the sound very unique as you hit the treble strings with the downstrokes first. Nice recording setup too. Looks like a Shure 55 and SM57 - classic.

Thanks. Yeah, I taught myself to play in high school. My late brother had an old blond Stella that he left behind when he went off to college. I got a book out of the library -- something like "The Glen Campbell Guitar Method" or something like that -- and looked at the chord diagrams to figure where to put my fingers. The guitar didn't have a pickguard so I had no clue which way was "up," so I held the guitar the way that felt comfortable as a left-hander. To show you how dense I was, it was awhile before I realized I was holding the guitar upside down.

My style, such as it is, just comes from years of trying to figure out what works for me and sounds natural to me. Lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs on the bass strings.

I never did learn to play like Glen Campbell. Then again, few could match that guy....

This post has been edited by dhanners623: 15 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

#8 User is offline   Charlie99 

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Very nice songs and a crisp, relaxed style - reminiscent of some of Steve Earle’s acoustic songs when he uses a pick.

#9 User is offline   Hall 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationRabbit Hash, Ky.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Hey David! Enjoyed both songs a bunch. Like your playing style, the instrument and the songs. Something to feel good about for you. Well done.[thumbup] --- Hall

edit: I'm by the river myself.

This post has been edited by Hall: 15 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound." w.s.

#10 User is online   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Great stuff Dhanners, like what was stated before very crisp and claen I love that j-35 gonna have to look into one. Thanks for sharing your video's.

#11 User is offline   dhanners623 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:35 PM

View Postkelly campbell, on 16 May 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Great stuff Dhanners, like what was stated before very crisp and claen I love that j-35 gonna have to look into one. Thanks for sharing your video's.

Thanks. Yeah, check out a J-35. Love mine. Got it in 2016. I've had a couple of J-45s in the past and the '35 can more than hold its own. The only modification I've done (aside from switching out the pickguard and tuners) is to replace the Tusq saddle with a Bob Colosi bone saddle.

#12 User is online   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

View Postdhanners623, on 16 May 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Thanks. Yeah, check out a J-35. Love mine. Got it in 2016. I've had a couple of J-45s in the past and the '35 can more than hold its own. The only modification I've done (aside from switching out the pickguard and tuners) is to replace the Tusq saddle with a Bob Colosi bone saddle.

Cool thanks for the info...I have always loved the look and sound, I have a 45 and like it as well but damn that sounds sweet.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users