Gibson Brands Forums

So here are a couple of tunes....

dhanners623

Great vids! I too am fascinated by your lefty guitar strung upside down. I can only assume you learned to play on a right-handed guitar turned upside down and then just strung a lefty in reverse? It makes the sound very unique as you hit the treble strings with the downstrokes first. Nice recording setup too. Looks like a Shure 55 and SM57 - classic.

Great vids! I too am fascinated by your lefty guitar strung upside down. I can only assume you learned to play on a right-handed guitar turned upside down and then just strung a lefty in reverse? It makes the sound very unique as you hit the treble strings with the downstrokes first. Nice recording setup too. Looks like a Shure 55 and SM57 - classic.

Thanks. Yeah, I taught myself to play in high school. My late brother had an old blond Stella that he left behind when he went off to college. I got a book out of the library -- something like "The Glen Campbell Guitar Method" or something like that -- and looked at the chord diagrams to figure where to put my fingers. The guitar didn't have a pickguard so I had no clue which way was "up," so I held the guitar the way that felt comfortable as a left-hander. To show you how dense I was, it was awhile before I realized I was holding the guitar upside down.

My style, such as it is, just comes from years of trying to figure out what works for me and sounds natural to me. Lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs on the bass strings.

I never did learn to play like Glen Campbell. Then again, few could match that guy....

Hey David! Enjoyed both songs a bunch. Like your playing style, the instrument and the songs. Something to feel good about for you. Well done.[thumbup] --- Hall

edit: I'm by the river myself.

Great stuff Dhanners, like what was stated before very crisp and claen I love that j-35 gonna have to look into one. Thanks for sharing your video's.

Thanks. Yeah, check out a J-35. Love mine. Got it in 2016. I've had a couple of J-45s in the past and the '35 can more than hold its own. The only modification I've done (aside from switching out the pickguard and tuners) is to replace the Tusq saddle with a Bob Colosi bone saddle.

Thanks. Yeah, check out a J-35. Love mine. Got it in 2016. I've had a couple of J-45s in the past and the '35 can more than hold its own. The only modification I've done (aside from switching out the pickguard and tuners) is to replace the Tusq saddle with a Bob Colosi bone saddle.

Cool thanks for the info...I have always loved the look and sound, I have a 45 and like it as well but damn that sounds sweet.

Archived