Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special Doublecut 2018

Symonkey

So, these have been out of stock everywhere for 6 months now and I’m still waiting for mine (ordered December).

Has anyone heard anything about when they are back In production and due to start reaching dealers again?

Yes, I've been watching those, on Sweetwater's site. Their "Coming Soon," has been up as long as that

of the 2018 LP Classic (Gold Top) with P-90's! IF/When they do get them in, they're sold, before you

can even make an order, seemingly. (I suspect, they go to the people on their waiting list, first!)

So...??? Short production runs, or so popular they can make enough of them? Who knows?! And, with

Gibson's current "restructuring," I have NO idea what's going on there, production wise. My favorite

(local) dealer, has been waiting for 6 months, or longer, for ANY "Gibson" product, and they are a

Premier Gibson dealer. So...who knows?!

Maybe you can find a "used" or "demo" model? Chicago Music Exchange, for instance?

Good Luck!

CB

Hi Charlie,

It’s my understanding that they went into production in 2017 at the end of the year, and only a short run - all sold quickly. I placed my order I December and was told Feb ish delivery.

I’ve since been told they still haven’t gone back into production and to now expect July ish!

Dealers don’t seem to know what’s going on!

:-/

Hi Charlie,

It’s my understanding that they went into production in 2017 at the end of the year, and only a short run - all sold quickly. I placed my order I December and was told Feb ish delivery.

I’ve since been told they still haven’t gone back into production and to now expect July ish!

I hear ya! I was lucky, to get the SG Jr. when it was introduced at that same time! It went through a period, where they were scarce, too! Seems

to be more easily obtained, nowadays! But, in the time between when I got my 2018 SG Jr. (October 2017) and the next batch was available, Gibson raised

the price 200+ dollars! So, I was lucky to get one, and at about $230 dollars less, that current selling price. Gotta jump on them quickly, it seems!

Hope you don't have to wait much longer?! And, you're correct, if my dealer is any indication...their completely in the dark, as to what Gibson is doing,

and IF/WHEN, they're ever receive their back orders? Let's hope that changes, SOON![razz]

CB

I actually secured mine a week or so before they went up in price and the dealer is honouring that - but they don’t seem 100% it will ever come themselves.

I actually went and bought a Smokehouse Studio in the mean time and I love it, so it’s keeping me sain for now ha ha.

How do you find the Junior?

Oh, I LOVE my SG Jr! It's nearly and exact replica, of the first "electric" guitar I learned on. The only difference is,

the original SG was a '61, so it had "Les Paul Junior" on the headstock, and the regular gold stenciled logo, instead of

the "script" logo my new one has. Also, the '61' Jr.'s had "3 on a strip" Kluson tuners, as opposed to the new one's having

individual tuners. But, those are things I can easily live with!

It's build, finish, and playability, are outstanding! No "flaws," at all. I really love the grain pattern I got, as well.

(Of course, with Sweetwater, you get to pick the one you like best, IF/WHEN they have more than one, in stock.) It sounds

wonderful, too! :D Definitely NO "buyer's remorse," at all. And, it's not "neck heavy" at all, either. A real JOY to play! :)

https://i.imgur.com/RTBq61c.jpg

CB

LOVE big old "Fat" round sounding P-90's! Great cleans, and an awesome Growl, when you want or need it!

The "60 cycle" hum, can be annoying, at times. But, the tone is worth the hassle, IMHO. There are some

"Noiseless" P-90's out there, but you really need to try them, fist, before thinking about changing them.

CB

Yeah, bummer about those doublecuts. I've been waiting for those things. I'll probably get sick of looking at the ads before they come in. But I thought AMS had some last week.

Anyway, Gibson couldn't run a lemonade stand these days without screwing it up. We'll see what happens. [thumbup]

Hi Charlie,

:-/

Symonkey you are correct about the first run in '17. It was mid-Sept. with the "Model Year 2018" stamp. Short run ,priced wrong - later changed, and " rosewood / granadillo " spec. controversy (also later changed). I started my search early and was lucky to get LPSDC in early Feb. I SUSPECT the issue is that the "firm" is concentrating manpower on more popular runs or waiting for "just in time" material stock. Funny thing tho' - I just noticed that the "Comments" section under the LPSDC product is now gone. Hmm!

Yeah, bummer about those doublecuts. I've been waiting for those things. I'll probably get sick of looking at the ads before they come in. But I thought AMS had some last week.

Anyway, Gibson couldn't run a lemonade stand these days without screwing it up. We'll see what happens. [thumbup]

Gibson needs to find a way to expand their line of more affordable guitars.

Symonkey you are correct about the first run in '17. It was mid-Sept. with the "Model Year 2018" stamp. Short run ,priced wrong - later changed, and " rosewood / granadillo " spec. controversy (also later changed). I started my search early and was lucky to get LPSDC in early Feb. I SUSPECT the issue is that the "firm" is concentrating manpower on more popular runs or waiting for "just in time" material stock. Funny thing tho' - I just noticed that the "Comments" section under the LPSDC product is now gone. Hmm!

The comments section disappeared a day or so before the bankruptcy news story...,. I wondered if they had to pay for it so cancelled their subscription or something..... I think it’s gone off all guitars!

I’ve hammered my dealer and spoken to Gibson and never get anything solid and dates just keep slipping :-(

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any info on these recently? I'm starting to finally give up hope now! :-(

Man, I know exactly how you feel. I ordered a (non-Gibson) guitar in December also. I had given up after getting useful info from the dealer / supplier. Sometimes you dont mind waiting if you just get a progress report.

Man, I know exactly how you feel. I ordered a (non-Gibson) guitar in December also. I had given up after getting useful info from the dealer / supplier. Sometimes you dont mind waiting if you just get a progress report.

That’s exactly my issue, not knowing when - been given projected dates of Feb, March, June and July..... so far!

So it’s not just Gibson that give little information as to their production runs/slots then? Ha

Interesting they only have the short neck version this year. where the neck joins the body after about the 20th fret. The 2017 LP DC in my post above is the long neck version where the neck joins the body after fret 22.

American Music link

228696%2F228696-Generic-8-Large.jpg

The 2018 LP Special DC is in stock at American Music that Megafrog found.

Archived