Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Epi HB Pickup Covers

Jeff Bostic

I've been thinking about trying it. Supposedly you get a brighter and more open sound. I'm wondering if anyone here has done it and liked the results.

Hmmm..... I have done this a few times.. Taking the covers off, I think, usually makes them louder and dirtier..or another term used is fatter..

Open coil explanation from the Epiphone site.. "Owners of vintage SGs and Les Pauls often remove their pickup covers for a better bass response and magnetic pull."

I've removed HB covers before. My favorite way to do it is to hold a utility knife blade, without the handle, with a pair of pliers. I put blade edge on the solder joint of the pickup,(between the base plate & cover) then lay my soldering iron on the blade to heat it a bit. Don't heat the pickup, just the blade. When it gets pretty warm, not hot, I tap it with a small hammer. Done deal. Do the other joint.

Results have been varied. I liked it on some, not others. I won't go into details but, for the most part, the hotter the pickup the more it seemed to effect the sound.

YRWPV

Doug

I've removed HB covers before. My favorite way to do it is to hold a utility knife blade, without the handle, with a pair of pliers. I put blade edge on the solder joint of the pickup,(between the base plate & cover) then lay my soldering iron on the blade to heat it a bit. Don't heat the pickup, just the blade. When it gets pretty warm, not hot, I tap it with a small hammer. Done deal. Do the other joint.

Results have been varied. I liked it on some, not others. I won't go into details but, for the most part, the hotter the pickup the more it seemed to effect the sound.

YRWPV

Doug

All true, you won't know what you have until you've cracked some egg's...... Need to separate the housing cover from the base as quickly as possible so as not to damage the windings by over heating them. You can also use a 40 watt + iron to melt the solder quickly before the cover gets hot and separate it with a utility knife blade. After you carefully remove the cover, you will see how they potted the pickup. Sometimes better pickups coils are potted before the cover is installed and there won't be too much excess wax. Or it is potted with the cover on, filling the entire void between the cover and the coils with wax. In this latter case there will be a little wax cleanup needed if you want to use it as an open coil pickup. After doing this, usually, the least you will get is a louder pickup with a bit thicker low end..

I guess if you get thicker sound I'll pass on doing it. Have either of you guys tried the Peter Green mod (reversing one of the magnets)?

I haven't tried it, having totally switched to P-90's to get a wider range tone. I would recommend marking the magnets original position before moving it. If your pickup has 4 wires plus a ground you may want to consider coil tapping.

Good air today the wind is blowing the Vog away from us. A few people caught on the wrong side of the lava flow are being air lifted out.

I haven't tried it, having totally switched to P-90's to get a wider range tone. I would recommend marking the magnets original position before moving it. If your pickup has 4 wires plus a ground you may want to consider coil tapping.

Good air today the wind is blowing the Vog away from us. A few people caught on the wrong side of the lava flow are being air lifted out.

Good tips. Yeah I'll definitely mark the magnet if I do it. Good luck to you islanders. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

Archived