Gibson Brands Forums

new epiphone sg ve special

daveyspider

hi all i have just bought a new epiphone sg vintage edition special and i must say im a bit disappointed don't get me wrong its lovely its walnut finished well poplar body with walnut veneers

. but i went to shield it and electrics are so cheep the inside of the electrics cavity is just shody i had to sand it to give it a decent finnish. i know no one sees it but i do and it was unfinished i come to shield the pickup cavities and the pickups must be there cheapest ones as they are not even stamped with the epiphone logo. i know people will say well they only cost £161.00 but to some one like me who is minimum wages that is 3/4 of my weekly wage so it has taken a while to save up for it. like i say i love it but just a bit disappointed.

I wouldn't be too disappointed the SG VE has high output ceramic magnet pickups that are very hot compared to Alnico magnet pickups that are used on most other Epiphones.

Info link.... http://www.epiphone....Special-VE.aspxPOP_SGSPCVE-WL.jpgBlurb from info page...

Open Coil Humbuckers with Ceramic Magnets

The SG-Special VE™ is powered by two Epiphone open-coil humbuckers with ceramic magnets. Owners of vintage SGs and Les Pauls often remove their pickup covers for a better bass response and magnetic pull. Ceramic pickups have a higher output than vintage Alnico magnet pickups and are designed to provide a tight low-end response with both a smooth mid-range and a slightly more pronounced top end tone. Ceramic magnets have been a favorite of metal and hard rock guitarists for decades. The SG-Special VE™ has a 650R™ in the rhythm position and a slightly "hotter" 700T in the lead position. Controls include a Master Volume and Master Tone with traditional black "Speed" knobs and a 3-way pickup selector.

Archived