Gibson Brands Forums

New 2018 J45 issues

Jungel

I would also like to reiterate on what Jinder said. That saddle looks extremely low. Forget the cosmetics, that would be my biggest issue.

I don't know how that can be discerned without a photo from the side of the saddle. Did I miss that picture?

I don't know how that can be discerned without a photo from the side of the saddle. Did I miss that picture?

To me it just doesn’t look like there’s any string break at all. Like Jinder said on a brand new guitar I’d expect the angle behind the saddle to be a bit sharper.

Do not mess with it yourself, or you may void your warranty. Do not let anyone other than a Gibson authorized tech touch it until you decide whether to keep it or return it.

If the cosmetic issues bother you as much as they seem to, I would take it back, and ask for a replacement.

If you get a replacement, open it and inspect it at the store before taking delivery.

Thanks, I won’t. I did change the strings and I tried another couple of saddles I had in my box of bits. I think one of those is the one in the photo that everyone says is short. Well spotted from above guys. You all must have eagle eyes. That’s not what’s in it though was just experimenting with what I had around to see what happened. Here’s a pic of the saddle that’s in it. It’s not been lowered yet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/164629457@N06/41474425364/in/dateposted-public/

Me neither Dave, the guys here are good. Nothing gets past them hahaha

find one you love and check it over -neck angle, finish,frets,try the tuners ,listen for tone and rattles, if buying sight unseen make sure you can return it, and dont worry unless it cant be returned . fwiw checking a necks position in relation to the saddle is possibly the most over looked or not understood critical item on a checklist - cheers and good luck... ( I learned over time the hard way)

Hi, can you explain what you mean by underset and poor break angle please?

To my eye, the saddle is already low in the slot, meaning there is very little scope for action adjustment as the guitar settles in. Underset means that the neck angle is insufficiently.canted forward enough to allow low action with plenty of break angle over the saddle., which would also explain why you’re hearing a buzz from the saddle. I’ve had a couple of Gibsons with underset necks which is impossible to remedy without shaving the bridge itself (the wrong way of doing it!) or a neck reset (the right way to do it). Either way, this shouldn’t be something that is up with a new guitar. I’d return it and ask for a replacement. Chances are that you’ll end up with something that’s much closer to the way you want it to be, as we’ve seen with a few forum members who have returned guitars and been happier with the replacements.

Thanks, I won’t. I did change the strings and I tried another couple of saddles I had in my box of bits. I think one of those is the one in the photo that everyone says is short. Well spotted from above guys. You all must have eagle eyes. That’s not what’s in it though was just experimenting with what I had around to see what happened. Here’s a pic of the saddle that’s in it. It’s not been lowered yet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/164629457@N06/41474425364/in/dateposted-public/

Yea that looks like what I would hope a new guitar would be. Wasn’t trying to be rude about the saddle just trying to get some different perspective in the discussion. From the above it looked very concerning but from that angle looks much different.

Far from an expert. Just a player, but to me that looks like a used guitar. If it's new as you were told then I'd likely return it. Makes you wonder where else did they take short cuts. For a new guitar, I'd expect more. If used, then I'd likely be okay with it. I owned a bunch of new Gibsons and never had one like that. Hope you get the issue solved. [thumbup]

Far from an expert. Just a player, but to me that looks like a used guitar. If it's new as you were told then I'd likely return it. Makes you wonder where else did they take short cuts. For a new guitar, I'd expect more. If used, then I'd likely be okay with it. I owned a bunch of new Gibsons and never had one like that. Hope you get the issue solved. [thumbup]

Thanks for your reply. It was in the box with the original Gibson seals in place. Retailer said they’ll call me tomorrow so we’ll see what happens

Yea that looks like what I would hope a new guitar would be. Wasn’t trying to be rude about the saddle just trying to get some different perspective in the discussion. From the above it looked very concerning but from that angle looks much different.

You weren’t rude at all buddy and I appreciate all the advice and opinions you guys have taken the time to share. You were correct, it was a low saddle, the one side on is now with the original back in. Good spot

And I now know about checking these things when I buy a new guitar. Thanks

You weren’t rude at all buddy and I appreciate all the advice and opinions you guys have taken the time to share. You were correct, it was a low saddle, the one side on is now with the original back in. Good spot👍

Just gotta look out for a fellow guitarist! But I totally agree with you on not being satisfied with fit and finish. I bought a J45 tv and after a week returned it bc the binding was discolored where it would sit on the knee and the tuner bushings were not sitting right. Mine was used however but still. When I bought my brand new J45 adj I noticed it had a chip in the bridge right next to a bridge pin. I ordered it online as “new old stock” and was upset at first but I kinda forgot about it.

Was the guitar purchased through a retailer in the US? If the photos of the Gibson shipping box in your flickr stream are how this guitar came to you, I can understand your concern. And if shipped direct to you from the US, then a return might be a bit more of a chore, including the turnaround time for another guitar. Maybe a refund might be how you'd rather proceed (?).

You had noted high action- a question for those who have J-45 Standards: is the nut completely black? The photo you'd provided almost looks as if a shim was placed under the nut at some point:

jEBtnaD.png?3

. . . hard to find a photo of a Standard looking down the neck from the top of the headstock, but here is one I found. . .

cxR7qpH.png?1

. . . this above photo from the web shows a cleaner appearing nut, and cleaner cut nut slots. With regard to the gouge in the finish on your headstock above the nut, in this factory tour video, it looks like tape is being placed on the headstock to protect the finish (t = 7:27):

uUWenw0.png?1

That strange diagonal line from the bridge to the treb side of the lower bout is definitely a head scratcher- maybe a small sucker branch or sprout became encapsulated in the spruce tree's early life, and your top was milled somewhere close to where it would be more discernible:

MmundCq.jpg?1

'Will be grabbing the popcorn on this one to see how it turns out. Good luck.

Ok so in that photo of the diagonal line shoot out from the bridge......can you take another picture with an image reflected in it? I’d be interested to see if it’s refracted....like a double image. If so that means there are two planes which would make me think it’s something more than just cosmetic.

My first J45 I bought about 2 months ago had a “line” from the bridge up...it definitely produced double images in the reflection. I returned mine with no issue and they sent out another. The 2nd one is a “lifer.”

Here’s the split image from the returned J45:

DGLpIXC.jpg

JJRpilot- yes, I recall seeing your situation, which seemed to be more of an indentation on the top. In taking a closer look at diagonal line in the OP's other photos- it showed up, however slightly. At first, I wondered if it might be a reflection, but it's more in the grain of the wood, as opposed to yours, which looked more like an actual compression (?)

J,

I knew you probably got it online ...

I can live with a few quirks here and there ... but this J 45 is flatout abused and beat up... perhaps it was in an adverse environment .

I hope you return it and get something that pleases you.

This is not the norm at Gibson

Thank you, I was hoping that this is not the norm

Ok so in that photo of the diagonal line shoot out from the bridge......can you take another picture with an image reflected in it? I’d be interested to see if it’s refracted....like a double image. If so that means there are two planes which would make me think it’s something more than just cosmetic.

My first J45 I bought about 2 months ago had a “line” from the bridge up...it definitely produced double images in the reflection. I returned mine with no issue and they sent out another. The 2nd one is a “lifer.”

Here’s the split image from the returned J45:

DGLpIXC.jpg

Thanks for going to all that effort to help. I will go take a pic with a reflection and see how it looks.

The marks on the neck look like it's been hanging in a music store. Did You buy it from a Guitar Center? That thing has been wailed on. Buy Your guitar from SWEETWATER, OR A PLACE LIKE WILDWOOD. IN GREAT BRITAIN, I would go with Anderton's. If You have a problem at least they won'rt fight You on a return. That thing did not leave Bozeman in that condition.Gibson doesn't seal the boxes with tape. Staples are the only thing that holds them closed when they leave the factory.. I have never seen a Gibson box that beaten up from the factory. The boxes may have a ding or two, but that one looks like they used a chain saw on it. Unless it was stapled shut on both ends, it was opened by the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

The marks on the neck look like it's been hanging in a music store. Did You buy it from a Guitar Center? That thing has been wailed on. Buy Your guitar from SWEETWATER, OR A PLACE LIKE WILDWOOD. IN GREAT BRITAIN, I would go with Anderton's. If You have a problem at least they won'rt fight You on a return. That thing did not leave Bozeman in that condition.Gibson doesn't seal the boxes with tape. Staples are the only thing that holds them closed when they leave the factory.. I have never seen a Gibson box that beaten up from the factory. The boxes may have a ding or two, but that one looks like they used a chain saw on it. Unless it was stapled shut on both ends, it was opened by the dealer.

Hi Ajay, yeah the box was stapled all round but there are 2 small tape seals with the Gibson logo and the words “Do not accept if broken. Contact Gibson.” but hey, good news in my next comment.

So, thanks for all your input guys. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their opinions. In the end I couldn’t live with it and sent it back. https://www.reidys.com/ Reidys home of music was the store. I’m happy to tell you that because Richard there was brilliant. The first thing he said was I’m sorry you aren’t over the moon with your guitar and whatever is wrong we will fix it, you can have a refund, repair or pick something else, whatever makes you happy. He then arranged to have it picked up at their expense the next day.

He called me when it arrived and agreed the finish wasn’t nearly good enough. He also said the tone was being choked somehow and it didn’t sound at all like a J45 should. There were no J45’s in stock so would order a new one or he offered me a few more choices including a Songwriter Deluxe Studio for the same price which was an awesome deal and beautiful but I didn’t want natural colour and the gold and inlay too blingy for my personal taste. I was tempted though.

I ended up with a J45 Standard Cutaway and a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany. They’d given me £300 off the recommended retail on the first J45 then did me a J45 Cutaway AND the GS Mini for the same price! Then gave both guitars a free set up and sent them to me next day delivery free of charge. I offered to pay for delivery but he wouldn’t have it. Guitars have arrived and they are both great but holy ****, that J45 sings, not like the last one. It’s amazing sound and the finish is flawless. As soon as I played it I could feel the excitement building as I played it. Awesome and just what I’d hoped for the first time around.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/164629457@N06/with/42442352782/

Glad to hear of the happy outcome. And what a great end of the story… I don’t think there’s a guitar player here that didn’t get your excitement at the end of your post. And a GS Mini, to boot! You’ve got some interesting guitars- have a great weekend breaking them in.

Archived