Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Acoustics Made 2 Measure Program - Gibson Brands Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Acoustics Made 2 Measure Program Also for Lefties

#21 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

Update #2

Radio silence and then...

My dealer just got word that Gibson is a go on the lefty Everly commission. The price has ever so slightly increased (by 5-odd per cent) from the previous inquiry where they offered to build a J-180 with split-paralellogram inlays only, but I can live with that since it is a reasonable price nonetheless.

Currently, I'm discussing with my dealer the final details of how Gibson is going to build the model in terms of specification options (not a fan of kidney-shaped tuner keys, for example; and if they are able to cram an Anthem/Anthem SL pickup in there, they totally should), but it's basically a done deal by now.

Since my dealer is going to issue a larger batch of various Made 2 Measure commissions, Gibson's time to build these (including my J-180) will be shorter than usual because Gibson would start building right away.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Leonard McCoy: 13 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."óJol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

#22 User is offline   amp 

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

I got my custom lefty J-45 in March this year. They did a really good job I ordered through Music Villa in Bozeman and they gave me a really good price.
Itís a 1960ís retro finish in cherry red with white pick guard. Itís very light and sounds great. I brought it to the Gibson Homecoming this year.
I just tried to attach the picture but it tells me the file is too large, even though it says 500 limit and the photo is 500.
Anne

#23 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:50 AM

I forgot to post some updates...

Update #3

The deal was finalized on June 14, 2018. Final specs are identical to the 2017 Limited model posted above in my previous Update (with less obvious features such as nickel Gotoh tuners, LR Baggs VTC—for anyone wondering). The object was not to make a historically accurate Everly reissue imitating the construction techniques of the 60s, but to craft a J-180 with the knowledge of today making it the best guitar it can be. This will basically incorporate everything Ren Ferguson had administered back then with the reissues of the J-180 and the Billie Joe Armstrong model.

Update #4

Expected delivery is in September/October 2018.

Update #5

I discovered that Kluson now offers in their Vintage Diecast series their Waffleback tuners with metal buttons from the 60s which were absent for over 40 years from the Kluson line. They were used on high-end Gibsons back then (Les Paul, ES-355, Super 400, L5, SG Customs, but also J-180s). The reissued tuners are very pricey but worth it.

Posted Image

Update #6

Inquiry with Gibson whether the nickel Gotoh tuners can be swapped for Kluson Wafflebacks. We might be too far in, however, into the building process, and once Gibson finalizes the specs they, supposedly, cannot be changed later.

This post has been edited by Leonard McCoy: 01 September 2018 - 03:05 AM

2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony (Left-handed)
2002 Gibson "Goldtone" GA-15RV
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."óJol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users