Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustics Made 2 Measure Program

Leonard McCoy

Good news, fellow southpaws!

I inquired with my local dealer (who's part of the Gibson M2M program) whether it be possible to get a lefty Gibson J-180 in ebony made through Gibson's Made 2 Measure program. After my dealer checked with Gibson directly, the answer they got was: yes, no problem. And the price is very reasonable as well!

As a lefty, I couldn't be happier to finally, finally get my hands on a proper, factory-lefty J-180.

I will update this as further details emerge for posterity's sake.

1SVQnLT.jpg

We have family in Sarasota FL and the last time we were there I stopped in at Jerry's Lefty Guitars. Lawdy have mercy that was quite a selection. In acoustics he carried Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman and others. I saw nary a Gibson though so I assume he was not an authorized dealer. So many reverse guitars it made me kinda dizzy.

We have family in Sarasota FL and the last time we were there I stopped in at Jerry's Lefty Guitars. Lawdy have mercy that was quite a selection. In acoustics he carried Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman and others. I saw nary a Gibson though so I assume he was not an authorized dealer. So many reverse guitars it made me kinda dizzy.

I know the feeling. We have a lefty guitar store owner in town (DHR Guitar Experience), and he has an impressive choice. The only time I visited, in the new location, Collings, (Preston) Thompson, and small builders plus lefty electrics. The Thompson guitars are very impressive(!), if you will pardon my un-Gibsoness.

I am not a fellow southpaw but congratulations just the same. Eagerly awaiting more details. When do you expect the guitar?

I am tempted by the M2M program but am currently on a downsizing exercise.

The retailer didn't say but he did set an appointment for a telephone call to discuss the details of the commission first which seems reasonable.

The retailer didn't say but he did set an appointment for a telephone call to discuss the details of the commission first which seems reasonable.

Glad to hear you are getting some service there for you. LM, do you know where I can find the info on that program? I have never heard of it. Thanks

Glad to hear you are getting some service there for you. LM, do you know where I can find the info on that program? I have never heard of it. Thanks

Depending on your location you'd have to find a retailer who's partnered up with Gibson regarding M2M. The brochure (for acoustics) can be downloaded here: https://www.musikhaus-hermann.de/media/pdf/a7/8b/2a/Gibson_M2M_Acoustic_Reference.pdf

Depending on your location you'd have to find a retailer who's partnered up with Gibson regarding M2M. The brochure (for acoustics) can be downloaded here: https://www.musikhaus-hermann.de/media/pdf/a7/8b/2a/Gibson_M2M_Acoustic_Reference.pdf

Very interesting link to Musikhaus-Hermann- good info on the menu of different Gibson flavors, especially enjoyed seeing the finish options; I've never seen some of the bursts shown next to each other like that, the Autumnburst, Triburst, and Sunset Burst (as on the J-45 12 fret, not shown on m-h link) always seemed too close to call.

Good luck to those brave souls who proceed with a custom build before things calm down a little for Gibson Brands, Inc. after August, or is that no longer a concern? Keep us posted.

I had seen the brochure ... But to be honest those are not the only models available !!!

If they were going to come out with a catalogue they could have saved a lot of people trouble by listing ALL the models available.

The colors and aesthetic options are great to be able to see.

JC

I think the brochure above is just to give retailers a general idea of what they can do; the document was never intended for external use either. The out-of-production J-180 isn't even listed there, and yet Gibson didn't hesitate to greenlight the commission.

As to Gibson's financial situation, I am not worried in the slightest to commission the J-180 now and pay handsomely upfront. If anything, now is the perfect time to buy another Gibson.

That is great news! You won’t regret the 180, I love mine. Had it for a month now (it’s a 2014 Custom Shop model in cherry with parallelogram inlays, limited to 64 units), after a month of gigging and Home playing it’s absolutely lovely. Really opening up nicely!

I think the brochure above is just to give retailers a general idea of what they can do; the document was never intended for external use either. The out-of-production J-180 isn't even listed there, and yet Gibson didn't hesitate to greenlight the commission.

As to Gibson's financial situation, I am not worried in the slightest to commission the J-180 now and pay handsomely upfront. If anything, now is the perfect time to buy another Gibson.

I like the way you think Leonard!

Update #1

First setback.

Gibson is against building the guitar with stars inlays in order to protect their Everly model for, I assume, future limited runs. Gibson would instead build the guitar only with parallelogram inlays (think Jinder's J-180 only in black). My retailer tries his very best to negotiate by inquiring again for the Everly-type model in particular.

Update #1

First setback.

Gibson is against building the guitar with stars inlays in order to protect their Everly model for, I assume, future limited runs. Gibson would instead build the guitar only with parallelogram inlays (think Jinder's J-180 only in black). My retailer tries his very best to negotiate by inquiring again for the Everly-type model in particular.

I’ve already confused several guitar fanatics at my gigs with the cherry 180. One chap (several drinks deep!) came up to me at the end of a show last week and said “your guitar is killing me, what is it? It’s not an Everly because of the J185 inlays but it doesn’t have the Maltese crosses and is has the Everly scratchplates and it’s RED! None of them were red. Does it EVEN TECHNICALLY EXIST?!?” 😂😂

Update #1

First setback.

L,

That's total BS :

Here's a 2018 EB with Quilted Maple and Cherry finish w/Star Inlays :

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-j-180-everly-brothers-acoustic-electric-cherry

I am pretty positive that was a M2M order because no others have surfaced anywhere else and regular EB's don't come with Quilt

If you can't get a dream guitar built with the specs you want than this program is baloney !!!!

Back before Gibson shut down the program the first time I was able to get a right handed Ron Wood SJ 200 with no buts about it ... and I guess the run ended in 1998 [i had it built 12 or 13 years after the original came out]

JC

L,

That's total BS :

Here's a 2018 EB with Quilted Maple and Cherry finish w/Star Inlays :

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-j-180-everly-brothers-acoustic-electric-cherry

I am pretty positive that was a M2M order because no others have surfaced anywhere else and regular EB's don't come with Quilt

If you can't get a dream guitar built with the specs you want than this program is baloney !!!!

Back before Gibson shut down the program the first time I was able to get a right handed Ron Wood SJ 200 with no buts about it ... and I guess the run ended in 1998 [i had it built 12 or 13 years after the original came out]

JC

You're right, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have an M2M program and then only follow through with it half-heartedly. If anything, it's absolutely atypical, and before the cherry J-180 even unprecedented, for a J-180 to have split-paralellogram inlays on the fretboard and the crown inlay on the headstock (not that it looks bad at all), both of which are hallmarks of the J-185 series.

I will know more, and share it here with you, once my retailer received word from Gibson as to his second inquiry, this time about a J-180 Everly kind-of build (with the stars). I didn't expect THIS part of the commission to be problematic to say the least. I mean, who would have thought?!

• 3 weeks later...

Update #2

Radio silence and then...

My dealer just got word that Gibson is a go on the lefty Everly commission. The price has ever so slightly increased (by 5-odd per cent) from the previous inquiry where they offered to build a J-180 with split-paralellogram inlays only, but I can live with that since it is a reasonable price nonetheless.

Currently, I'm discussing with my dealer the final details of how Gibson is going to build the model in terms of specification options (not a fan of kidney-shaped tuner keys, for example; and if they are able to cram an Anthem/Anthem SL pickup in there, they totally should), but it's basically a done deal by now.

Since my dealer is going to issue a larger batch of various Made 2 Measure commissions, Gibson's time to build these (including my J-180) will be shorter than usual because Gibson would start building right away.

Rxs8BAF.jpg

I got my custom lefty J-45 in March this year. They did a really good job I ordered through Music Villa in Bozeman and they gave me a really good price.

It’s a 1960’s retro finish in cherry red with white pick guard. It’s very light and sounds great. I brought it to the Gibson Homecoming this year.

I just tried to attach the picture but it tells me the file is too large, even though it says 500 limit and the photo is 500.

Anne

• 2 months later...

I forgot to post some updates...

Update #3

The deal was finalized on June 14, 2018. Final specs are identical to the 2017 Limited model posted above in my previous Update (with less obvious features such as nickel Gotoh tuners, LR Baggs VTC—for anyone wondering). The object was not to make a historically accurate Everly reissue imitating the construction techniques of the 60s, but to craft a J-180 with the knowledge of today making it the best guitar it can be. This will basically incorporate everything Ren Ferguson had administered back then with the reissues of the J-180 and the Billie Joe Armstrong model.

Update #4

Expected delivery is in September/October 2018.

Update #5

I discovered that Kluson now offers in their Vintage Diecast series their Waffleback tuners with metal buttons from the 60s which were absent for over 40 years from the Kluson line. They were used on high-end Gibsons back then (Les Paul, ES-355, Super 400, L5, SG Customs, but also J-180s). The reissued tuners are very pricey but worth it.

Sxo9EAO.jpg

Update #6

Inquiry with Gibson whether the nickel Gotoh tuners can be swapped for Kluson Wafflebacks. We might be too far in, however, into the building process, and once Gibson finalizes the specs they, supposedly, cannot be changed later.

• 2 months later...

Update #7

Radio silence.

My dealer failed to get a response from Gibson regarding the inquiry back in August for the tuners change (from Gotoh to Kluson's Wafflebacks) so he thinks it went through. The delivery of the guitar was expected to be in September/October which we are passed now.

Update #7

Radio silence.

My dealer failed to get a response from Gibson regarding the inquiry back in August for the tuners change (from Gotoh to Kluson's Wafflebacks) so he thinks it went through. The delivery of the guitar was expected to be in September/October which we are passed now.

Bizarre that they can’t give you an update on the build. I can’t imagine being given no updates and an unexplained missed ETA for anything else that was being build to order (for a large sum of money).

Archived