Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustics Made 2 Measure Program

Leonard McCoy

Bizarre that they can’t give you an update on the build. I can’t imagine being given no updates and an unexplained missed ETA for anything else that was being build to order (for a large sum of money).

Yes, I'm not impressed either. I have inquired further with the dealer who let me know from day one and on multiple occassions since then that he's terribly sorry for how lacking the implementation of the M2M program still currently is (at least in Germany) especially in terms of timely communication (e.g., custom order inquiries with Gibson take weeks and weeks to be answered).

Well, I do have unlimited patience especially with, and complete faith in, Gibson knowing full well that it will pay off in the end. Or at least that's the hope.

Update #8

It's done.

My dealer just got word from Gibson confirming that they finished the build and that the J-180 is currently being made ready for shipping. Unfortunately, the tuner change didn't go through since it was requested too late in the process (that's on me). There's a good chance she will arrive this year still across the pond (if CITES plays along). Hope is the next update is just an J-180-featured NGD with plenty of pictures and sound samples.

You have enviable patience Leonard!

Let's put it this way, the patience is entirely an acquired one: if you've waited for years and years for an opportunity to get your custom J-180 made (a guitar nigh-nowhere to be found as a lefty in an acceptable state), a few more weeks or months don't hurt as much. It also helps to have a phenomenal Gibson Les Paul Standard to keep you happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Update #9

Shipping limbo.

My dealer once more confirms with me that the guitar build is complete and that Gibson are only waiting on the respective authorities for a permit due to the CITES regulations to get her shipped off overseas. This sounds slightly ill-informed to me since I always assumed Gibson, like any other manufacturer, had export permits in bulk instead of having to apply for individual ones.

Update #9

Shipping limbo.

My dealer once more confirms with me that the guitar build is complete and that Gibson are only waiting on the respective authorities for a permit due to the CITES regulations to get her shipped off overseas. This sounds slightly ill-informed to me since I always assumed Gibson, like any other manufacturer, had export permits in bulk instead of having to apply for individual ones.

I talked to Jimmy at his shop in Houston about 2 weeks ago ... he was telling me the rosewood restriction has made it very hard to ship anything to Europe.I’d rather Gibson take an extra step to get your guitar safe than it never getting in your hands.

All the best

JC

• 1 month later...
I just got word that the custom-ordered Gibson J-180 managed to successfully cross European borders. It shouldn't be long before it's delivered.

Well, that's just darn exciting! Now, about those pickguards.... msp_biggrin.gif

How long did the whole process take from the day you placed the order until finding out its finally in Europe? Hopefully it's in your hands soon. Killer New Year for you. My wife's uncle is a lefty and I hear him all the time complaint about the lack of lefty axes.

The guitar arrived at my dealer today, January 4, 2019. The order was placed with a Germany-based dealer on June 14, 2018. It is a custom order made possible by Gibson's Made 2 Measure program.

I already have stunning NGD pics at the ready (made by my dealer) which I will post once the guitar arrives here in Berlin. I will also post some raw sound samples which I will have to record, the guitar's full specs, and my uncensored opinion on the build quality and her fresh-out-of-the-box sound.

The guitar arrived at my dealer today, January 4, 2019. The order was placed with a Germany-based dealer on June 14, 2018. It is a custom order made possible by Gibson's Made 2 Measure program.

I already have stunning NGD pics at the ready (made by my dealer) which I will post once the guitar arrives here in Berlin. I will also post some raw sound samples which I will have to record, the guitar's full specs, and my uncensored opinion on the build quality and her fresh-out-of-the-box sound.

Wow, this is almost as exciting as the summer of "Who shot JR?" [biggrin]

Fred

Congratulation on getting it.

I had a custom Gibson mandolin made a few a few years back, it took 10 months.

I had a custom Martin made a few years ago, It took 6 months.

Per my experience, your wait time was normal.

Hope you enjoy it!

Archived