Gibson Brands Forums

Found a nice little rig

duluthdan

A couple years ago I tried to have my guy install a Trance Audio pickup in the 2006 J-45 Legend I have. Bridgeplate was too small, so that was that.

Buck McMaster dove in and acquired an “Edwina” microphone from Ear Trumpet Labs, and I began to get a bit intrigued. Hey, its good enough for Buck, and the Milk Carton Kids, I figured it’d be interesting.

So…

I picked up the new Bose S-1 Pro – initially plugged in guitars – K&K, lyric, Trance, and used a Shure 58. Was not blown away as the whole rig seemed a bit quiet, even timid. Fast forward to a couple days ago – and my Edwina , with phantom power from a tiny little Rolls PB23 adapter, plugged in, grabbed the Legend, set the mic out in front, and yahoo ! I found my rig ! Picks up both guitar and vocal splendidly. Still a small venue rig, but for the small house settings I find myself in, a very nice system.

I am going to bring this setup to the Gibson Homecoming so others can try it if so interested, and then it will go with me to small settings in Fargo North Dakota, Minneapolis, and if my traveling legs hold out, further east to Philadelphia.

Smile Fierce !!!

WACQmdL.jpg

I have heard Buc's recordings with the Edwina mic, which all sound great. What are your experiences with it as a home recording mic? If I ever decide to upgrade my mic, I will be looking for something a little more forgiving when it comes to the top end, meaning harshness and sibliants. My recording room is not optimal and it is easier to change the mic than the space.

Any recordings to share?

Lars

I have been intrigued by the S1 pro for quite a while.

After doing some small coffee house gigs with a friend with WAY too much p.a. gear I started researching and found the L1 Compact. Price and the fact that you still need a T1 for the best sound kind of put me off. A lot.

Since the S1 Pro came out I have absorbed every word that has been written about it probably. There is a guy who owns both and even says he thinks the S1 is louder/better, in certain situations.

I'm in "High School Graduate / College" mode right now, not really gigging hardly because of day job time restraints, and also summer time land management (mowing acres and acres) .

However, please write more words about the S1 Pro, as I think it's the coolest thing since guitar picks and will probably be getting one eventually.

I'll second Murph's request for info on the Bose S1. In my imaginary world where I have money, I am torn between that and the Fishman loudbox artist... would love to hear your impressions.

rgds - billroy

(Also in my world where I have money, I am getting a rosewood hummingbird, maple SJ 200, and paying for a week long trip for everyone to meet at TPbii's house for an informal gibson /guitar festival (TPbii, hope that's ok - it's an imaginary world where i have money so it's an imaginary gathering... but fun to think about anyways :)

(Also in my world where I have money, I am getting a rosewood hummingbird, maple SJ 200, and paying for a week long trip for everyone to meet at TPbii's house for an informal gibson /guitar festival (TPbii, hope that's ok - it's an imaginary world where i have money so it's an imaginary gathering... but fun to think about anyways :)

You're actually flying us all, I'm guessing....

First class, if not the private lear jet

Geez, you gonna be sorry you ever heard of me!

Hey, Hogeye might mind all the dogs!

Ummm, PA thing, looks good but a bit little? Won’t it sound scratchy up the back of a room?

BluesKing777.

Ummm, PA thing, looks good but a bit little? Won’t it sound scratchy up the back of a room?

Man, that little Bose gets a lot of respect. I must admit, I've never seen/heard one in real life. Just the interwebs.

Dan had posted videos of his gigs before and his audiences sit quiet and listen

Perfect for that but I’d be a bit nervous taking the little amp to a busy bar

Back at the dawn of time, I joined a band that used the massive concert PA one of the band guys hired (with ‘the works’) to large clubs and venues....a ‘double four way’ it was called ....2 huge bass bins the size of 4 wardrobes, 2 mid bins, 2 large horns.....with a fab mixer and power amps. I mean, Black Sabbath would have been happy! But for a short while, we got to use it..and also carry it in and out the gigs. My back aches thinking of it, but the sound...oh boy. The rig had the power to trundle along quietly and smoothly with the whole audio spectrum seemingly covered. The guy that owned it went zip, zip, zippity zip with the amps and mixer dials and what can we say? Superb! Plus!!!

But can you keep that up - all the heavy lifting? Nup!

So a bit of a downsize is needed, but I mean...you don’t have to be lazy! The little Bose would be nice at home or a little cafe, so would my 60 watt amp. I would run a line out of the back of my amp to a PA. But to get a full sound for acoustic guitar and vocals, correct me if I am wrong, but a little more effort could be needed. [blink] [blink] [blink]

(Oh yeah, one night I could hear the Better Half and her friends talking at a table while the band played on....we played louder, they talked louder..and everyone else! [laugh]

BluesKing777.

Archived