Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Modern Double Cut Custom

CrisCo

The new Modern Double Cut Custom looks sa-weet!!! The only problem is I can't (or probably wouldn't even if I could) afford to buy this at the $5000 price point. Personally, I think this would be a KILLER addition to the Epiphone line... Anyone agree?

Modern Double Cut very cool design not hard to imagine these with Epiphone headstocks. But typically Epi versions don't show up until after the Gibson version is out of production like the Blueshawks.

MDCCPSL11198_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

But it seems Gibson and Epiphone have a production overlap right now on the Tak DC Custom.

POP_TakDCcustom.jpg

I guess that I don't think we need another Les Paul type guitar, albeit with a little better upper neck access....

I like Double Cuts. The styling of the Modern DC Custom has a slightly new twist and 24 frets. They don't seem refer to it as a LP, for me its all about ease of access to the last frets. I have a new LP Standard that I am falling in love with, but frets 20, 21 and 22 a bee-awtch. My Blueshawk has better access through fret 22 than my new LP. My LP DC's are good but my 61 SG's have the best access to 22. I wish my SG's had the solid feel of my LP Standard.... Circular conclusion.... The Epi Tak has the feel of a fancy LP DC but the Modern Custom DC pushes the long horn design a little farther and fret 24 may even be playable.. [thumbup]

MDCCPSL11758_ELECTRONICS_GLAM.jpg

if you can find one, these are over $5,000.00

I like Double Cuts. The styling of the Modern DC Custom has a slightly new twist and 24 frets. They don't seem refer to it as a LP, for me its all about ease of access to the last frets. I have a new LP Standard that I am falling in love with, but frets 20, 21 and 22 a bee-awtch. My Blueshawk has better access through fret 22 than my new LP. My LP DC's are good but my 61 SG's have the best access to 22. I wish my SG's had the solid feel of my LP Standard.... Circular conclusion.... The Epi Tak has the feel of a fancy LP DC but the Modern Custom DC pushes the long horn design a little farther and fret 24 may even be playable.. [thumbup]

MDCCPSL11758_ELECTRONICS_GLAM.jpg

you can find one, these are over $5,000.00

That is a stunning guitar! If that had a 25.5 scale and a Floyd Rose or Kahler, I would buy it.

That is a stunning guitar! If that had a 25.5 scale and a Floyd Rose or Kahler, I would buy it.

*******WARNING THE IMAGES ON THIS PAGE CONTAIN SHREDDERS, YOUNG PLAYERS MAY NEED TO AVERT THEIR EYES*******

Have a Custom Shop finish put on a Gibson M-III that has a 25 ½” neck.. These start at about $1200...

The M-III has a very similar body outline shape to the Modern Double Cut, but no sculpted top..DSM3VRBF1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Epiphone hasn't made the similar EM-2 for a while but you can still find used ones..

epiphone-em-2-prophecy-guitar.jpg

or....

epiphone-em-2-rebel-127152.jpg

or put a Floyd Rose on one of these.....MDCCPSL11200_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

I would love to see an Epi LP style headstock on a Modern Custom Double Cut...

I apologize to the traditionalist for my enthusiasm on the Modern Custom Double Cut. The best of Gibson's designs were already in place by the early 60's. I have always preferred Double Cuts being relegated to playing mostly Jr's and Specials, it was about time Gibson produced a high end sculpted top version. For me, the Modern Custom Double Cut presets a well balanced solid feeling guitar that all 24 frets are easily playable. If Epiphone produces one, it will join my entourage.. [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Archived