Gibson Brands Forums

New with a stupid question to start with!

So, I am feeling kind of like a tool. I bought a Gibson 2015 CM, because I was excited that I could own a Gibson for $400 and I am just not in love. I was thinking of mod'ing i to make it into a dream guitar... am I better off just cutting my losses and selling it for what I can and getting what I want or is the Gibson a proper frame to build upon? I would like to add a Bigsby, a second pickup and I kill switch, adding a custom pick guard. That would, of course make it impossible to bring back to stock. I can't find a Bigsby that would install with the single bridge and no stop, and no second set of holes. And to add a second pick-up would require routing, so... am I an idiot and do you have any recommendations. I would refinish, as well. I hate the smeared show polish top, but love the satin back and especially the feel of the neck. Oh...I was also considering dying the fretboard black. Proceed to throw fruit and rocks at me...

• Upvote 1

....am I better off just cutting my losses and selling it for what I can and getting what I want......

Hello and welcome to the forum

Yes to the above. Do not attempt the mods you describe on this guitar. Sell it as it is.

You would do MUCH better modding something with a bridge and tailpiece configuration which already has a rout for another pickup.

Perhaps start with a Japanese/Korean made instrument (check the Epiphone LPs) which basically feels right or good to play, then go nuts with mods.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul.aspx

Best wishes!

• Upvote 3

I would not go that extent with this one either. Routing a second pickup cavity is quite a bit of precision work that really needs to be done right, other wise, it'll be a hack job, and the guitar will then be worthless.

So from here, a lot depends on your budget limits, and how much disposable income you can play around with. The biggest thing to consider is what you paid, verses what you can recover. These guitars new are like 450~500 from what I see online. Realistically, you need to at least assume that you're not going to recover more than 50% of your initial expense. you might do better, but I would assume at least that I was in that ball park on a resale.

if you like it and for what it is, it kind a works for you despite the changes you want to try, is it worth selling to only recoup half of what you spend (figure on about $250)? If the answer is no, then I'd just consider keeping it, playing/using it as is, and when you can, look for something like a Gibson Tribute Les Paul, (around $1k) or even as someone suggests, look at an import (like Epiphone Les Paul Pro, or one of the other higher end Epiphone LPs, or even go another route, and check out the 339 pro (around what you paid for your CM), or even something like a Sheraton Pro II which are great guitars for around $800 w/case.

OR go with a used one, where some one else will take the depreciation hit, and that will allow you some $room$ to add a bigsby, and some of the other mods you're looking for. Regarding Bigsby, look up Vibramate. This allows the installation of a bigsby with out any permanent mods. Unfortunately with your existing setup (bridge with no stop bar) these would not work. I've put a few on various guitars for people and have one installed on one of my Les Pauls. They work great and are very easy to install.

and this was not a dumb question! There's quite a lot worth considering here.

good luck..

Edited by kidblast
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to give you some slightly different advice to the others. There are ways you can do what you're planning that don't involve routing. They do involve drilling though.

There's no reason a Bigbsy couldn't work with the CM's wraparound bridge with raised lightning bolt. Only problem is, with no studs for a stop tailpiece, you couldn't use a Vibramate, so you'd need to drill two screw holes in the top.

There are flat-mount pickups you can install without routing, for example FlatCat or Sixtus. They are mounted to the top with screws or double sided tape, and you need to drill a hole for the wire. I've never tried them, so how good they are I have no idea.

So, can be done. But if I was going to do it I'd try it on a cheap Les Paul Junior copy first.

• Upvote 1

Welcome.

I've personally never bought a Gibson that I haven't loved. I've liked high end Gibson Les Paul guitars, and wanted to love them, but didn't; like a Tom Murphy (somebody's if not his) Les Paul or a chambered '59 reissue - I've liked those guitars, but I didn't love them - I've played some entry level Gibson, an £400 - £500 brand new Gibson SG and went home/loved my then only 1 Gibson even more for it; both of my Gibson guitars were love at first play.

One was love at first sight/prices tags on display and budget in mind, and the other looked like; (UK analogy) like 'Marmite' - like you either loved it, or you didn't - I loved how it sounds/plays unplugged/wood hardware alone with out the pickups, but on guitar tone alone, not so much how it looked - If I'm honest. But it was love and... What I didn't like was the gold hardware/black plastic, cream toggle switch and Gibson zebra head pickups with a red sparkle top; it was a lot going on, very vibrant.

The shop in London in 2011 sold me it without its scratch plate, so I assumed it was black, thankfully it was transparent and that could match anything and, I had never heard of that or seen that before, but I got home with my first Gibson, and I put the scratch plate on myself because I actually think it looks cooler and it's been on ever since, because it's there, but it's transparent, and it's stock.

The stock pickups, when I had the pickups I like put in, my guitar looked/still looks sexy. The black pickups really tied up the black and red and gold and then years later/late last year, when I got my Gibson R7, I swapped my Gibson R7's toggle (not cream, like brown/orange/something, that one that comes on a Gibson R7) with the Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Stnard, and now it looks even cooler, like redder, while my Gibson R7 looks even cooler, 'fresher' with cream and gold top and black with chrome (tone pros) aged bridge.

I think, tonally, go for the best guitars.

I've spent good money on bad guitars before I worked out you can polish a turd so much, but the real deal/real McCoy is always better; if not in sound, definitely in feel/playability.

When looking at kill pots, you're going to want to pay attention to pickup type like is it an active or a passive; if it's an active guitar pickup, you're going to want a 25k value capacitor kill switch for active pickups (and a battery).

If you buy a solid bodied guitar, and want active pickups with a Shadow SH 124 Kill and a battery box; get a battery box with a door first of all and then remember as long as there's a lead/cable in the input of the guitar, that battery's getting used, so after playing, pull the guitar cable out to save that battery and your tone with a guitar with a battery box.

Wood is where you want to go.

The music's in the wood, dream guitars start from the best.

Try and not cut out wood if you can help it for that battery box if you want to active pickup kill switch a solid bodied guitar.

£1, 000, 000.00's worth of fun for a fraction of the the price.

If I'd have known that sooner, I'd have saved money, but lost out on experience with high end parts on entry level guitars.

Buy used indeed for the best price, same guitar, but as another user has said, someone else would take the depreciation hit.

Edited by LWAG
  • Upvote 1

ArtwerkOrange,

I can't be objective on this matter, since I have always loved leaving guitars bone-stock.

(If I try out a guitar and it's not quite right, I don't buy it.)

But for many of the structural/mechanical reasons described already, the mods you desire aren't really suited to the 2015 CM.

Do you live anywhere near northern Alabama?

If so, I would be interested in acquiring that guitar from you.

:)

• Upvote 2

I'm going to give you some slightly different advice to the others. There are ways you can do what you're planning that don't involve routing. They do involve drilling though.

There's no reason a Bigbsy couldn't work with the CM's wraparound bridge with raised lightning bolt. Only problem is, with no studs for a stop tailpiece, you couldn't use a Vibramate, so you'd need to drill two screw holes in the top.

There are flat-mount pickups you can install without routing, for example FlatCat or Sixtus. They are mounted to the top with screws or double sided tape, and you need to drill a hole for the wire. I've never tried them, so how good they are I have no idea.

So, can be done. But if I was going to do it I'd try it on a cheap Les Paul Junior copy first.

I have a Peavey $99 special my son abandoned that I have been slowly modding as a practice tool and it turned out so well, I actually really like it. I think everyone makes a great point, but the possible 50% hit on a brand new guitar is tough. That makes me think, why not make this the exact, or close to it, guitar I want. I have seen some stupid mods on Gibsons that actually pumped up the value just a bit. Now that may be the biggest exception. Any mods I make to Gibson will come with expert guidance throughout the process. I actually think I can live with the single pickup, especially if I can wire for coil splitting. I could also route a small cavity in the back and cover it and in that I could run any wires needed. I am still trying to find out if adding a term f's the g force system, which I like, bit don't need. Anyway. I ramble on. Sorry. Thanks for the advice. I greatly consider it and appreciate it all.

Craig

Oh wait;

I see know that the CM has the G Force tuning system on it.

I'm not that big a fan of such things, come to think of it.

[unsure]

So far, I have not found anyone who did like them. I can take them or leave them, but I have fun with them and they have proven very reliable and accurate for me. I am glad I got the newer gen version, though. Thanks!

So, I am feeling kind of like a tool. I bought a Gibson 2015 CM, because I was excited that I could own a Gibson for $400 and I am just not in love. I was thinking of mod'ing i to make it into a dream guitar... am I better off just cutting my losses and selling it for what I can and getting what I want or is the Gibson a proper frame to build upon? I would like to add a Bigsby, a second pickup and I kill switch, adding a custom pick guard. That would, of course make it impossible to bring back to stock. I can't find a Bigsby that would install with the single bridge and no stop, and no second set of holes. And to add a second pick-up would require routing, so... am I an idiot and do you have any recommendations. I would refinish, as well. I hate the smeared show polish top, but love the satin back and especially the feel of the neck. Oh...I was also considering dying the fretboard black. Proceed to throw fruit and rocks at me...

Sell, sell, sell.

And don't feel like a tool... And you're not an idiot, and no one will throw any fruit at you. I guarantee everyone on here that's been here for a while agrees with this: you're not a guitar player until you've acted on an impulse, bought something you regret you bought, and sold it at a considerable loss.

At least, that's my justification. So don't sweat it.

• Upvote 2

Sell, sell, sell.

And don't feel like a tool... And you're not an idiot, and no one will throw any fruit at you. I guarantee everyone on here that's been here for a while agrees with this: you're not a guitar player until you've acted on an impulse, bought something you regret you bought, and sold it at a considerable loss.

At least, that's my justification. So don't sweat it.

Thank you. I have found the guitar community to be one of amazing support, kindness and generosity. Very unlike the rest of the Internet. Thank you, so much!

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I really get the "sell it" suggestions, but I LIKE working on guitars and this is such a base Gibson... but I like it. I was actually thinking of a surface mount pickup and was going to make a pick guard route for wires and use the current equip cavity to add an LED kill switch. My vision is to turn it from a base Gibson to a one-of-a-kind mod that I love and if I ever sell it, it would be to a like-minded soul, or I would just bury it in my coffin when I die.

BTW, I bought about 6 cheap Amazon guitars to mod and give as gifts and I have 3 left to experiment on. I am an artist and designer by trade and I tend to be able to buck the odds and attract the people with similar aesthetics. Now, sonically, it might be tougher, but it will look cool and sound no worse than now if I just unplug the second pickup.I have given up the bigsby... so this is just a second pickup and the kill switch (maybe). I am also thinking of a mirror black on body top and leaving satin black everywhere else.

THANK YOU for your feedback and thanks for everyone else's. too. I do factor it all in. And I do appreciate anyone taking the time to reply to my hair-brained ideas.

Craig "the scientist" Kempf

• 1 year later...

I checked out your thread, but I was sloooow to respond. Do you have ANYTHING else you are thinking about getting rid of? I would be open to a trade or straight out sale. I have been in G.A.S. overdrive and have about 30 guitars and even another CM, with a quite sophisticated kill switch addition. Stainless with a light switch that can switch on and off. The original CM, which I ended up modding to my liking is a keeper, but I say that about all my guitars now, but I HAVE to start selling some.

Craig

UPDATE: Well, I love it now. I love it so much, in fact, I recently bought the last new Gibson CM from all the major retailers and at a used guitar price.

Edited by ArtwerkOrange

On 5/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, ArtwerkOrange said:

If you hate it sell it. Its yours to do whatever you want with.

Now he loves it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I do, indeed, love it. Well, as much as one can love an an inanimate/non-sentient object.  This is why I try to seek counsel from those with more knowledge in the are of guitar building, upgrading , and ambitious design challenges.  The more work I put into the CM, the more satisfaction I got out of it. I appreciate your feedback. Not sure I get your point, but since most people are very kind, especially with newer people, I choose to think of your words as positive and I wish you the very best,

-- Craig