Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul 100 question

alfro123

Hi! I'm making this post because I just bought a used les paul 100 for $150 and wanted to know if it as a good deal. I'm new to the whole buying guitars thing, so.. yeah! The lp is the ebony version with Seymour Duncan 59s' (although I'm not sure if that's true, since I don't know how to recognize them), the area where the tuners are is discolored 'till about half way, you can still see the branding , but it has a yellow tint. The neck isn't straight with the body (don't know hot to fix it properly, although I think it wont be that hard). It has a few dinks and a lot of surface scratches, but I thinks they'll easily buff off. And, the think that concerns me the most, in guitardaterproject.or-g/epiphone.aspx the serial number is unrecognized, is it possible it's a fake? I looked up signs of this, but it all seems to be original, or at least the obvious signs. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

150 is a lot to pay for that model imo.

If it has SD pickups tan that might well be worth it. But you say you don't know if they are. Find out. That's incredibly important to know in order to answer your question.

Guitar data project does not have a lot of dates so you shouldn't be worried about that at all.

The thing you should be worried about the most is the thing you seem to the less worried about. The neck. THAT could turn out to be a huge problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm making this post because I just bought a used les paul 100 for $150 and wanted to know if it as a good deal. I'm new to the whole buying guitars thing, so.. yeah! The lp is the ebony version with Seymour Duncan 59s' (although I'm not sure if that's true, since I don't know how to recognize them), the area where the tuners are is discolored 'till about half way, you can still see the branding , but it has a yellow tint. The neck isn't straight with the body (don't know hot to fix it properly, although I think it wont be that hard). It has a few dinks and a lot of surface scratches, but I thinks they'll easily buff off. And, the think that concerns me the most, in guitardaterproject.or-g/epiphone.aspx the serial number is unrecognized, is it possible it's a fake? I looked up signs of this, but it all seems to be original, or at least the obvious signs. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Since the Les Paul 100 has a bolt on neck, not a set neck, it is conceivable that it could have gotten out of position while someone was working on it, but not that hard to realign with the strings.Not that unusual with bolt on necks.

Archived