Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Pin locations

Fret Buzz

I've a Allen Woody & a Viola bass. I've moved to short scale due to neck/shoulder surgery. Recently, I've found that that position of the strap pin on the Viola (directly behind the neck's heel) sets the fret board in a more comfortable position (compared to the upper bout, like most every other bass).

How bad of a decision would it be, to put a locking strap pin, onto the heel of the neck of the Allen Woody Rumblekat... is it possible to find the "spot"... the "right spot"?

later,

Mr. Fret Buzz

I've a Allen Woody & a Viola bass. I've moved to short scale due to neck/shoulder surgery. Recently, I've found that that position of the strap pin on the Viola (directly behind the neck's heel) sets the fret board in a more comfortable position (compared to the upper bout, like most every other bass).

How bad of a decision would it be, to put a locking strap pin, onto the heel of the neck of the Allen Woody Rumblekat... is it possible to find the "spot"... the "right spot"?

later,

Mr. Fret Buzz

It's your guitar.

You should have it the way you like, and it sounds like a locking strap pin is the way to go.

The installation is extremely easy;

You select a very small drill bit, just a tiny bit narrower than the installation screw, and drill a pilot hole, just about a quarter inch deep.

(This is to keep the guitar from cracking when you install the item.)

Screw the thing in, and you're in business.

As far as location, I generally go for the center of the heel.

In the case of your Rumble Cat, I would put it where the white star is, in the photo below.

:mellow:

054628.png

Archived