Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar in the bay area

sanjoseguitars

So I've recently been taking local acoustic guitar lessons in San Jose as I'm a beginner but I was looking into getting my first Gibson guitar. I know that they can get a bit pricey but I'm pretty sure I want to pick up the J-15. But is there a good recommendation on where I can find it for a little bit cheaper (not on ebay). Would craigslist be a good option and what do I have to watch out for when I go check out guitars for wear and tear?

This one for $650 on craigslist.

First welcome. Nice bunch of folks here.

That one on Craigslist is a classical guitar so a nylon string instrument. Nothing wrong with that but as you mentioned a J-15 I am assuming you want a steel string. You might be better off though buying from a reputable store. Less chance of getting burned. If you want to save some money buy used. You couldt talk to your teacher who very likely can get you pointed in the right direction.

I wouldn't go for the one you posted and I personally would steer clear of Craigslist.

nylon string guitars are different animals, a bit more finicky than a steel string. I've been playing for over 50 years, and I've gone thru a bunch of these to try and find the right one. I finally did, but, that's another story..

So J15s are like $1,300 new.. give or take. Used, I suppose you could be looking at maybe 650/700 second hand. also IMO nothing really all that risky with eBay these days.

Just make sure that the seller has some decent feedback, and see how they communicate with you thru eBay's email service.

Most of the eBay transactions these days are thru PayPal, and eBay/PayPal does force people to play by their rules. If you find anything you think you're interested in, post it in the Acoustic Forum BEFORE you bid or BIN. you will get some feedback on the auction to help you decide if that is a good deal, and a reasonable price etc..

Craigslist is a crap shot since there's no one regulating what the hell goes on there. You as the buyer, need to know what you're doing. The risk of getting screwed on a CL transaction IMHO is high.

and Zomby's suggestion to discuss w/your teacher is solid. he/she probably has a few stores that they do most of their business with, and would probably be totally ok with helping you.

...So J15s are like $1,300 new.. give or take. Used, I suppose you could be looking at maybe 650/700 second hand.....

Where are you shopping? As I recall, new ones used to be about $1500. Nowadays, a new 2018 J15 from Sweetwater is $1750. You might get a 15% discount, but still....

Looks like you could get a new one off ebay for $1500. There are none cheaper than that, even used ones.

The cheapest one on reverb is $1000, used - in very good condition. Lots of used ones in excellent condition for around $1200.

I think the J15 is an excellent choice for you, sanjose. I've played a few, and they sound great. (I had one with a sunburst on order from Music Villa, but I got waylaid by a Guild F50R, which I gotta say I'm not sorry about.)

Where are you shopping? As I recall, new ones used to be about $1500. Nowadays, a new 2018 J15 from Sweetwater is $1750. You might get a 15% discount, but still....

Looks like you could get a new one off ebay for $1500. There are none cheaper than that, even used ones.

The cheapest one on reverb is $1000, used - in very good condition. Lots of used ones in excellent condition for around $1200.

I think the J15 is an excellent choice for you, sanjose. I've played a few, and they sound great. (I had one with a sunburst on order from Music Villa, but I got waylaid by a Guild F50R, which I gotta say I'm not sorry about.)

for example... but on closer look that was a 2016.. so yes,, you're right.. they are priced higher than my post suggests.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2016-J-15-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Antique-Natural-1386605596725.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjwopTYBRAzEiwAnU4kb_QrNZkXu7mm-eLvovQ7KZOPuSc9FDoUOzDxigJTb-BUea27kKTpSRoCgPsQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^172488555108-device^c-plaid^143124560682-sku^1386605596725@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Just starting out, I'd not plunk down more than you can afford. If you are still into it 2 years down the road, you can always add a better one, or trade in a "first decent guitar". Though, you might regret it later if you've bonded with a J15 as your first.Here's a good one : https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2016-J15-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

Guitar Center gets lots of used inventory and will ship it to you or a local GC. They have a fair return policy. It's listed for $1100 but if you get it sent to the store and offer them $1000 cash, they'll most likely agree. Make sure they give you the original hard shell case with "Gibson" spray painted in gold. G'Luck.And welcome!

Just starting out, I'd not plunk down more than you can afford. If you are still into it 2 years down the road, you can always add a better one, or trade in a "first decent guitar". Though, you might regret it later if you've bonded with a J15 as your first.Here's a good one : https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2016-J15-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

Guitar Center gets lots of used inventory and will ship it to you or a local GC. They have a fair return policy. It's listed for $1100 but if you get it sent to the store and offer them $1000 cash, they'll most likely agree. Make sure they give you the original hard shell case with "Gibson" spray painted in gold. G'Luck.And welcome!

I think this is your BEST bet. I can’t agree with fortyyears enough. Search their site, have it sent to your local store and if I’m not mistaken you get 7 days. I’ve seen j35s for $950 a few months ago. Shouldn’t have passed that up...

It's listed for $1100 but if you get it sent to the store and offer them $1000 cash, they'll most likely agree.

Have bought a couple used Gibsons from Guitar Center and agree they can be very negotiable.... if it's an item that's been sitting around the store for awhile. But I don't quite understand how your suggestion would work. If you go to Guitar Center's site, AFAIK the only way to get it shipped to your store is to actually buy it. Or am I missing something? My Gibson purchases were guitars that the local store already had in stock.

I suppose you could go to your local store and ask if they will get it shipped without making any commitment. Are they willing to do this kind of thing? The J-15 might be a popular enough guitar that they wouldn't be too willing to negotiate.

Have bought a couple used Gibsons from Guitar Center and agree they can be very negotiable....

Can't hurt to try! "So... can I get 20% off?" msp_smile.gif

AFAIK the only way to get it shipped to your store is to actually buy it. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, you have to buy it. They'll ship to the local GC or right to your house. Might be a nominal 25 bucks. What's handy is, you can return it to your local store. I got a used Gibson Songwriter 12-string from some GC across the country. Beautiful thing. Arrived with a big crack from the bridge on down. sad.gif Returned to local GC, full refund, no fuss, no muss.

eBay and PayPal have buyer protection. Reverb has a buyer protection policy too. GC is very easy to deal with and have a generous return policy. Sam Ash does too. Most retailers will work with you.

Craigslist? Forget about it! Too risky, especially when you’re talking real money! You might get lucky... then again, maybe not!? I wouldn’t buy OR sell on CL.

J15, J29 and J35 are all guitars that punch WAY above their weight for the money. Gibson really hit a home run with these.

I’d try a bunch, pick the one that speaks to you and take it home.

A good bet if you don’t want to spend Gibson bucks is the Epiphone Inspired By ‘64 Texan. I have one and it’s one of my favourite guitars, lovely neck and sounds excellent. Crazy value for money if you can snag a great one.

Just remember that all guitars are infinitely variable, as they’re just bits of tree. Regardless of brand or model, there are good, great and poor ones out there. I’ve played pawn shop guitars that have sounded wonderful, and D45s and SJ200s that have sounded like warmed over horse apples,..it it so particular to the lump of tree the guitar in question is made out of.

In my experience, Gibson get it right (to my ears) more often than most manufacturers. Just play a bunch in your price range and don’t part with your money until you’ve found a guitar that refuses to let you leave without it!

So I've recently been taking local acoustic guitar lessons in San Jose as I'm a beginner but I was looking into getting my first Gibson guitar. I know that they can get a bit pricey but I'm pretty sure I want to pick up the J-15. But is there a good recommendation on where I can find it for a little bit cheaper (not on ebay). Would craigslist be a good option and what do I have to watch out for when I go check out guitars for wear and tear?

This one for $650 on craigslist.

J-15's used are going $950-$1000 on avg. Here's one... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511397

Archived