Gibson Brands Forums

Out with the old......

Buc McMaster

......and in with the new. The J-45 12 fret just wasn't working for me. Sounds wonderful, looks beautiful but that skinny neck carve was not comfortable. I really tried to make it work but, as with all things that I cannot make good use of, it was a nice piece of trade bait for a J-35. This one has a nice neck carve, not quite as big as the 45 Vintage but a big improvement over the feel of the 12 fret. Loud, quite bright in tone, it's a nice contrast to the low end chunk of the Vintage. There was also a very nice J-35 Collectors Vintage model there as well........muted finish of the Vintage series, red spruce top, big neck, cut thru saddle......but it sounded very much like my J-45 and I decided I wanted a different tone for the second instrument.

Strung it with Monel 13-56 (want to give mediums a shot on this one) tuned down a half step (my usual) and the Sunrise installed........ready to rock! [thumbup] The honeymoon is on!

QAqbDIz.jpg

What the ? ? ?

You really shattered my gas on the J-45 12 fret with that review of the neck carve. . . hard to believe, on a 12 fret. Kinda how I felt trying to make peace with the Jackson Browne 12 fret- yes, it had the 1.805 nut, but that shallow neck . . . felt like a slab of fretboard. . . (keep trying to tell Zombywoof, but he keeps on gassing for one).

Yes, look forward to hearing the '35.

and you have a capo on it already

......There was also a very nice J-35 Collectors Vintage model there as well........

Looks good - if I didn't already have a J-50 I would have liked to pick up one myself. Where did you find it?

Yep, mahogany back.......the pale, unstained stuff, looks good with the blonde top. Neck set on this one is most excellent, one of the best I've seen lately. Top has lots of medullary rays and relatively wide grain.....looks like red but it's sitka. I like the feel of the .013 monels so far......don't feel "heavy" at all. Jury is still out but I do like the dry tone of the nickel wraps on this sitka top......didn't like them on the sitka-topped 12 fret......love them on the red spruce Vintage. I pulled the factory pickup system as I always do (don't like active systems) and wired the Sunrise hard to the jack.......easily removed if need be. Ordered a sheet of the 3M stuff to reattach the pickguard.....it's lifted in a couple spots and the re-stick is easy. I did take the factory saddle down a bit too far with the initial sanding and got a bit of fret rattle on the high E and B......forgot to account for removing the piezo strip! Doh! But that's ok as I had already ordered a Colosi bone saddle to replace it anyway.......

BIG tonal difference between the two guitars! J-45 is very warm and fat in the lows and mids while the 35 is all brash and loud yet well balanced. Much more discernible contrast than with the 12 fret. No remorse over this swap!

voQs6Lw.jpg

I think that is an excellent choice to complement a J-45. The tone of the ones I have played have been very bright, and different, in a good way. A blond and a sunburst also make for a good pairing.

Let us hear it!

Lars

. . . and you get the nice rectangle bridge.

That is one barky looking top- 'could easily be mistaken for Adirondack; also showing some nice silking in the upper bout on the lower photo.

You only ordered one of the 3M adhesive sheets? Feeling lucky, I guess. . . if it doesn't release from the backing sheet just right, a bubble will form under the pickguard. Always good to order at least one extra.

Looking forward to hearing it, and maybe even a comparo with the J-45V.

Nicely done and Congrats!

Whoa, I can't get past the Sunrise pickup. If I ever were to go with a current production pickup that would be it. The problem is they only produce 1,000 or so a year and so are not the easiest pickup to get hold of especially as the year goes on. If I recall they actually announce the production number and tell you the exact date the last one will be made. But I have yet to hear any modern pickup I like better.

Anyway, more with an out with the new and in with the newer. No matter what a guitar sounds like if it does not feel right it does not matter. I agree with your assessment of the stock J-35 sound. They are bright sounding guitars at least for a Gibson. And I like your now for something completely different attitude in not wanting a sound alike for a guitar you already own.

Archived