Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Parlor Rosewood AG

Larry W

I saw this model on the Sweetwater site. I was looking for a small rosewood acoustic.

It got here three days ago. I was really worried about a guitar with Richlite. I gotta admit, I was worried for no reason Gibson says that Richlite is 85% wood and 15% phenolic resin. Well, this stuff looks and feels like ebony. I cannot hear anything bad that I can attribute to the Richlite.

This guitar is beautiful, and plays and sounds great. This may just be a keeper.

post-64390-050575100 1527391060_thumb.jpg

I played the first run of these guitars called the HP line in 2016 (i think) at NAMM and they sounded every bit as good as the high end gibsons.

I played a Martin Jeff Tweedy model which has richlite too and that one felt very stiff for some reason .

Enjoy the guitar!

JC

These are great little guitars. Richlite doesn’t bother me, I had a Martin Tweedy with Richlite which was a lovely guitar. Only traded it a couple of years back because I wanted my SJ200...it feels and sounds to all intents and purposes just like Ebony to my fingers and ears.

I also have a 2014 SJ-200. This reminds me a lot of that guitar. It really sounds like a quiet version of the SJ-200.

When I play it, I never think of the Richlite. It just feels right.

I is amazing how touch sensitive it is. The lightest touch brings out beautiful delicate tones. Hit it hard, it barks loudly. I don't know how they did this with a small guitar......but....WOW!

I think this is going to be with me a long, long time.

• 3 years later...
27 minutes ago, Gasman said:

I don't think the Gibson Parlor's are currently in their lineup . But they did make a Mahogany and Spruce one for a short time. You could find one used.

Widen your search and include the J165 and CJ165. 

• 1 year later...

I know, necro-thread...

I recently discovered these parlors, demos sound amazing, but also was looking at the J-185 Modern Walnut. I realize the 185 is a little bigger and deeper, but was wondering if anyone had actually played both? Neither are available to try in my neck of the woods, unfortunately... especially the parlor, which I'd have to buy sight unplayed, used.

I love the thought of a smaller guitar that sound big... like a Grand Auditorium "big", not dreadnaught big.  I have always gone spruce/hog on acoustics, but the smaller body does seem to make good use of the rosewood in the bass department...