Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter Deluxe Comparison to Hummingbird

RXXX20

I have an 07 Songwriter Deluxe with no cutaway. I also played an 06 or 07 Hummingbird that retailed for about $2500 at GC. I was wondering how similar or different these models actually are from each other aside from the finish. They felt somewhat similar, but someone told me the Hummingbird has a larger body...I guess I had assumed the Songwriter Deluxe was something of a no-frills Hummingbird based upon a superficial comparison of their basic shape. Is this a fair rough comparison or are they completely different animals?

RX,

You mention the Songwriter possibly being a "no frills" Hummigbird. I can only assume you were thinking this because of the cost difference. Visually, the Songwriter has every appointment I think is available - other than perhaps rarer inlay materials. Bound Ebony fretboard, binding front and back, trapezoid fretboard inlays.....

I think the price difference is wholly a matter of market and history/reputation. The Hummigbird has enjoyed a very prestigious history and, as such, bears more from the market. And, this is certainly deserved. The Hummingbird has a very unique, sweet tone that is all its own.

Now, the Songwriter is enjoying quite a surge in popularity - this too is deserved. I think you might find the pricing of the Songwriter going up in years to come.

To respond to your question directly - the two are very much unique in their own right. I think their closest similarity is the Gibson logo and point of origin. Other than that, distinctly different instruments of incredible quality, tone, feel, and experience.

I have recently purchased a SWD with a cutaway and I absolutely love it. When I chose it I did an A/B test with a HBird. I also had my teacher play both so I could listen myself to the difference.

As for sound, I was surprised how different they were. The HBird has a lovely sweet mellow tone which to me was rather understated, almost timid to my ears. In comparison, the SWD was a little more forthright with better definition of the individual notes, when playing chords.

Visually, I don't need to tell anyone, they are both stunning guitars. I'd had my heart set on a HBird for years but when it came to being able to afford either, I chose the SWD on sound. Also from memory, the electrics on the SWD are more versatile with regards to eq but I could be wrong. I play a few gigs in pubs so this was quite an important feature for me.

At the end of the day the choice is an individual one. The difference in sound is doubtless due to the different woods used and of course in my A/B test, factors such as strings would effect the sound. Also I could be wrong but the HBird has a slightly shorter scale??

What I do know is that there will always be subtle differences even between 2 guitars so you have to play several. I was lucky enough to have a true master play the 2 I was looking at so I could just listen.

I'm totally delighted with the SWD and with all the appointments it has it is a beautiful guitar. Eye of the beholder and all that...................

Hope this is helpful. I'd be very happy with either.

The two guitars have distinctively different sounds. I prefer the HB though I own a SWD. I had a 73 HB destroyed in an accident. BTW, insure your instruments. One day I'll get me another '73 HB but for now I have a wonderful SWD. It's been a challenge with set up however. The nutt, normally high from the factory was actually very low. I don't know if someone picked out of the wrong bin when they chose the nutt but I had to have a new bone nutt installed along with a new bone (compensated) saddle. It took awhile to get the setup right because I just never consider the nutt would be the problem..

Archived