Gibson Brands Forums

Want 16" body...with rosewood. Recommendations?

acme97

Hi,

I obtained a Gibson J185 quilted maple (2015), but it has not knocked me out. Or it's just not speaking to ME...you know. I tried a couple different types of strings, but by that time I feel we're parting company. Too much work.

It's not easy to find one of these with Rosewood. Any recommendations? I've looked at the J165 but don't like the 15" body. My dread does that work already.

Anything else in that size with rosewood I'm not aware of? I like used, of course, if I can.

Thanks!

What were you hoping to find in the J 185?

JC

Rosewood back and sides. Maybe the all maple just doesn't give me enough low, bottom, thump, rumble...those things.

In a "big" body guitar I have a Guild F50R that does all that for me. But for gigs I want something just a little smaller, no cutaway. I don't need one.

Rosewood back and sides. Maybe the all maple just doesn't give me enough low, bottom, thump, rumble...those things.

In a "big" body guitar I have a Guild F50R that does all that for me. But for gigs I want something just a little smaller, no cutaway. I don't need one.

If you were hoping to get the rosewood sound from a maple guitar ... that's a stretch and it's not going to happen.

The rosewood Gibson you might seek is an Advanced Jumbo it comes with a 25.5 scale it's either that or a Songwriter Deluxe ehich is also rosewood

JC

If you were hoping to get the rosewood sound from a maple guitar ... that's a stretch and it's not going to happen.

The rosewood Gibson you might seek is an Advanced Jumbo it comes with a 25.5 scale it's either that or a Songwriter Deluxe ehich is also rosewood

JC

Yes I know that...but every guitar has its charm and I, at least, did not find this 185's charm. Well...I mean it plays great, the neck feels great.

I'm not looking for a dread...I found a hummingbird pro a few years ago that fell into my hands off a guitar wall and never came out. And that was rare since I almost never buy new.

I think you’re looking for a Martin OM28, that sounds exactly in your wheelhouse-I’m not sure there’s a Gibson that would fit the bill, I’ve played a couple of RW J185s which were nice but they’re very uncommon things.

Personally I think Gibson do Maple and Mahogany spectacularly well, but Rosewood less so (with the exception of the AJ, but as you mentioned it’s a Dread which isn't what you’re after).

I’ve known a few players who swear by J185s and a few who don’t connect with them at all. It seems they’re not a guitar that people sit on the fence about! I have a J180 (basically a red J185 with the Everly double pickguards) and I love it-super balanced and smooth, no dominant tonality in its character so it doesn’t immediately make the player leap out of the chair, but it gets the job DONE on all levels and records beautifully with no EQing required.

How about something from the newest line?

Rosewood Parlor AG

JC

I did see that, thank you...but I'm looking for that "just below" J200 size. I've seen rosewood J185s come up now and then...but it's infrequent.

I appreciate the suggestions!

I think you’re looking for a Martin OM28, that sounds exactly in your wheelhouse-I’m not sure there’s a Gibson that would fit the bill, I’ve played a couple of RW J185s which were nice but they’re very uncommon things.

Personally I think Gibson do Maple and Mahogany spectacularly well, but Rosewood less so (with the exception of the AJ, but as you mentioned it’s a Dread which isn't what you’re after).

I’ve known a few players who swear by J185s and a few who don’t connect with them at all. It seems they’re not a guitar that people sit on the fence about! I have a J180 (basically a red J185 with the Everly double pickguards) and I love it-super balanced and smooth, no dominant tonality in its character so it doesn’t immediately make the player leap out of the chair, but it gets the job DONE on all levels and records beautifully with no EQing required.

Interesting thoughts on Gibson and rosewood. My friend has a Songwriter...that's rosewood and that one sounds really good. Got better with age for sure, really opened up nicely.

I have considered this J185 has not yet opened up. But, not expecting it to open up to something it is not. My feeling is the guitar was played very little, if at all. No wear on it.

And I am no stranger to the Martin OM by any means! [biggrin]

Of the RW Gibson's the Stage Deluxe and NL are my favorite. They're comparable to my favorite Martins.

Here's a list of RW's I have.

P.S. I like RW

• Gibson
  • Stage Deluxe
  • Honky Tonk Deuce
  • CJ-165
  • '34 Jumbo
  • Nck Lucas
  • J200
  • Martin
  • HD28 BRZ
  • D28EP
  • HD40MS
  • D41Special
  • OMCPA1 Plus
  • Taylor
  • 814CE

also the gibson j45 rosewood custom- outside of gibson perhaps a martin jumbo or the waterloo wl-jk deluxe

The OP is clear he doesn't want a rosewood dread or anything but a 16" jumbo in rosewood

Contact a Gibson Dealer and custom order a J 185 in rosewood.

JC

The OP is clear he doesn't want a rosewood dread or anything but a 16" jumbo in rosewood

Contact a Gibson Dealer and custom order a J 185 in rosewood.

JC

Unlike Mart...well, those other guys, I do not see in a search how to custom quote/order a Boseman Gibson acoustic. I cannot imagine that being anywhere near working man's wages anyway, even to get a 185 size non-cutaway with hog sides/back.

Unlike Mart...well, those other guys, I do not see in a search how to custom quote/order a Boseman Gibson acoustic. I cannot imagine that being anywhere near working man's wages anyway, even to get a 185 size non-cutaway with hog sides/back.

Call Music Villa in Bozeman ... they might be able to help

As they are a very short distance from the Gibson Acoustic Factory

And at the very least could get you a quote

JC

From 1999 through at least 2001, there was a WM-180 (Working Man series).

It featured a non-cutaway J-185 body, mahogany back & sides, morado fretboard, morado belly-down bridge, dot fretboard inlays, and a tortoise J-185 pickguard.

They are quite rare & I've only seen a few, but it does exist!

Bobz OP wants Rosewood.

Acme - it's called the Made 2 Measure (M2M) program. Contact your nearest Gibson 5 Star Dealer. One member (Dr. McCoy) here reported the pricing is reasonable. Of course, it'll be a lot more than a Used guitar. But, the advantages outweigh the cost when have specs that are a little outside of the bell curve.

My first J-185 was a 1995 model, bought from Elderly, and it was a J-185 in rosewood. It was a nice player but not -- in my opinion -- particularly that great-sounding. "Good", yes, but not really taking advantage of the 'bigger' deeper sound that you would like to associate with a rosewood jumbo.

Later, I got a J-2000, which is a 16" venetian cutaway jumbo model. Much more rosewoody, to my ears.

Fred

Archived