Gibson Brands Forums

Entered J45 land again

rbpicker

Before Christmas I sold my wonderful J45 to our buddy Sal. I immediately (before Fed Ex took it away) had sellers remorse. Sal said that if he ever decided to sell it, he’d give me first shot at it. Not hearing any signals to that effect, I contacted him to “nudge” him a little to see if he was thinking about selling. He responded that he really wanted to keep it, as it was a great example. I said that I totally understood, and that I was happy it was under his care.

Skip ahead a few months and I came across a deal on a truly great J15. Well, thinking that it might just “scratch the itch”, I laid down my dollars and took it home. It sounds very good and is set up like a dream.....but it ain’t a J45. Just something about that mahogany syrup that can’t be matched.

Well, the search, of course, never stopped and I played numerous 45s at various shops.

The hunt culminated just today with the discovery of another great J45 (and we all know there is a significant difference among several examples). My, but the price has gone up since I bought my last one!! Needless to say I adopted it and it’s sitting here looking up at me wondering why I’m typing instead of playing.

Just a plain old J45 Standard, but sings as sweet as mother’s love. Glad to be back, never again to wander. Maybe I’ll craft a song about it.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Rbpicker

Hep for sharing this 45 or slope course. Glad you re-found an ex sweet enough to promise a symbiosis. A keeper.

Keepers always make me smile. Not sure why, , , or maybe I am. . .

It's about the deep frequency they represent. The way they hit their players and make them aware of themselves via the occurred connection vs all those predecessors.

The feeling of sealed unity is always uplifting. It's a grrrand 'thing'.

Yes, write, record and post the song. But send pics first.

Ahhhh, pictures. Yes, I’ll need to figure out how that works. Do I need to have them hosted someplace? If so, what are you folks using? I used to use a Photobucket, but they started charging.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Rb

rb - Sorry that the J45 still is with me. I do love it. Very weird in that it has a thin Taylor-esque neck which is very comfortable.

I am happy you found a new one.

I'll play the 45 at a gig Thursday night in your honor.

And to answer your question, I bought my J50 from Fuller's in 2011 I think? Maybe 2012. It sounded just fine, but in a GAS fit I sold it. I regretted it immediately - as I was shipping it to the new owner. And a year and change later... that new owner listed it for sale, and I bought it back. Best guitar decision I ever made. This J50 has also had something magical happen to it in the last year. Maybe it's "opened up". Maybe its the strings I am using lately (plain old PBs). Whatever it is, my 50 has that old time vintage sound. I was listening to Molly Tuttle play the Pre-war Model J at Gryphon's - Salt Spring is the tune - and I said to myself that sounds exactly like my baby. It really does. I even learned Salt Spring, although no where nearly as proficient as Ms. Tuttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHjwshkeEU4

I up until recently had a rule - one in one out - and my wall space has limited the number of guitars I could bring home. Well, I took down the big flat screen on my home office. I never watch the thing anyways. Boom - a few more guitar hangers on the wall, and it now fits my four Gibsons, my two Martin Dreads, a Farida LG2 copy, and an Eastman E10ss.

Hi Sal. I’m delighted that the 45 is with you, my friend- someone who really appreciates a great guitar. I’ll think about ya on Thursday night, thanks for the sentiment. Great story about your J50... I’m betting it’ll never leave you again.

I think I’m going to bond very well with the new one. It’s light (4 lbs) and already resonant like the one I sold you. I looked at several and it’s always worth the wait when the right one pops up.

I had a set of the 3-on-a-plate tuners like you had installed, and already have them on the new one. Very fine tuners, they,are.

I’ll try to,get pics and a tune or two recorded and post them. Thanks for the tip on IMGUR, Em-7. I’ll check it out.

Take care,

Roger

And to answer your question, I bought my J50 from Fuller's in 2011 I think? Maybe 2012. It sounded just fine, but in a GAS fit I sold it. I regretted it immediately - as I was shipping it to the new owner. And a year and change later... that new owner listed it for sale, and I bought it back. Best guitar decision I ever made. This J50 has also had something magical happen to it in the last year. Maybe it's "opened up". Maybe its the strings I am using lately (plain old PBs). Whatever it is, my 50 has that old time vintage sound.

One of the great tales on this Board. Up there with Nick's J-45 saga.

But when is your 50 from ? Can't recall and find it relevant in connection with the breaking in.

What btw. in the realm of acoustics, is better than to witness this happen.

Yup...I hear you. Stupidly sold my first 45 and soon regretted it. Corrected that horrible wrong with a 2018 45...upgraded with bone nut/saddle and unslotted bone pins. And it ain’t going anywhere.

Congrats

Some of the worst mistakes I have made were trading off or selling certain guitars. For me it was a 1956 SJ. There was just something a tad different about the way this one was voiced from any other J-45/50/SJ I had played that made it stand out. To this day I do not remember what the heck was in my head that told me it was OK to let it go. All I know is that it took me years to find something to replace it.

Congrats RBpicker! Unlike you Gibson vets, this year was my first "wandering" into Gibson land. I NEVER had played a J45, but watched a million videos online and fell in love with the sound. I ended up grabbing a NOS 2017 Standard, it had issues, sent it back to the official dealer and he sent me different NOS 2017 J45 Standard without any hassle. This one is a keeper.

There is something magical about a well made Gibson. The tone is intoxicating!

Yes, RB, many here have jumped ship on PBucket & have gone to imgur. Fairly intuitive, but it does have the tendency to oversize your photos. If so, go to edit, and play around w/ pixel size, 450-> 500 x something should do it. As Buc had clued us in to, select "BBCode" to embed the pic directly into your Gib forum post. Good luck, & look forward to seeing (& remembering your YTube pickin' post)/& maybe hearing the new '45.

Tough to beat a Gibson love fest. [thumbup] [thumbup] Of all the guitars I've owned, I think it's a safe bet to say that my Hummingbird and J45TV (and before it a Standard J45) get more playing time than all the others combined. At the very least they get far more than their fair share of time. I love all my Gibsons, but the warmth of mahogany kind of puts a shadow over everything else. I rotate through all of them for gigs, but the bird and J45 get lots of play time at home and if I'm doubtful of the rotation, I fill the spot with the Hummingbird or 45. Each guitar has a very warm and personal tone for me. In addition, both are Gibsons.

I have tried a few times to resize my pics in IMGUR, and still get an alert that they are too large when I try to post them here on the forum. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Help please.... I must be doing something wrong.

Signed, frustrated in Michigan. msp_confused.gif

Rb

So you've gotten to this page:

sMTSUoS.png?1

. . . put your cursor next to the pixel number, backspace to enter a new size, like "600" or some such. Keep the "lock proportions" checkbox checked, click "save" above the photo, go back to your images, and . . .

M3h72Ze.png?1

select copy next to "BBCode" (for messages and forums), to copy the link to post directly into your post in the Gib forum compose post box (DO NOT use Insert Image button). I have never seen the "file size too large" error message for any photo I've ever posted here. Good luck.

7WPKfGu.jpg?2

pGUBi5t.jpg?5

FSRfyPm.jpg?3

Thanks for the explicit instructions, 62 burst. I appreciate the guidance. I'm not sure why two of the pictures are so fuzzy. When you reduce the size of an image, it normally gets sharper...no? Anyway, here is my new J45 (without the TRC). Love this guitar!!!!!

RB

About the Pick guard....I’m trying to decide whether to leave it off, or replace it with something a bit more tasty. I really don’t care for the flubber guards, so while I’m deciding, I’m letting the new kid run around the house naked. I was surprised to see a tiny amount of tan line, even with it being a 2018 model. I know that would blend in pretty quickly if I leave the pg off.

Maybe a batwing? Sal, whaddaya think?

Rb

I'm not sure why two of the pictures are so fuzzy. When you reduce the size of an image, it normally gets sharper...no? !

RB

Looks good, RB, glad you got it. As far as the loss of resolution on the shots where the '45 is perched on the Uba Tuba, are these pics from a cell phone? The couch shot taken holding the phone upright (portrait style), the two smaller ones taken holding the phone sideways, for landscape pic (?) Could get muddy if the pixel dimensions chosen by imgur are locked. Could play around with that if you were bored, I suppose. Go play that nice guitar!

"Looks good, RB, glad you got it. As far as the loss of resolution on the shots where the '45 is perched on the Uba Tuba,"

Ha ha.... right you are, 62.... that's funny. msp_flapper.gif I’ll try your suggestions. Thanks again.

Rb

Archived