Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II dating

roshambo

Hello fellow forum members

I recently got a second-hand Sheraton. So far, I've not been able to find out where and when it was built. I expect it to be built in Korea, and the guy who sold it to me, said it would be late eighties. Looking at the headstock epiphone-logo, the trussrod-cover and the lack of a serial number or country of manufacturing on the back of the headstock, he might be right. The thing that doesn't look correct for that era, is the E on the pickguard (which looks like it's from after 1995 or so).

What's your opinion, looking at the pictures?

Also see no sticker in the F-hole btw.

Thank you

post-52430-048411600 1527682681_thumb.jpg

post-52430-010776400 1527682689_thumb.jpg

post-52430-030330300 1527682698_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi roshambo, I don't know why no-one replied. I don't get here that often, so apologies it's taken this long! Yours is a Korean, made in the Samick factory between 1986 and 89 or thereabouts. The headstock is typical of that period, and the big giveaway is the bridge. It's 'fatter' than any other tuneamatic, and is only 72mm wide which for years was a pain if you wanted to replace it, but there are some options now. Those Sheratons usually had the serial number on a sticker on the back of the headstock so it's not unusual for them to be lost. And the ah, 'creative' tuner alignment isn't unusual for the Koreans either. Lovely looking guitar, hope you enjoy it.

PS don't know about the E on the guard, I've never seen one before msp_biggrin.gif. Thing is, they usually fall off anyway.

Hi - this looks like a 90's made Korean Sheraton to me, however there will be others on the forum with much more knowledge on the topic than I.

It's difficult to tell without the serial number.

To my knowledge, the 80's and early 90's pickguards on the Korean made models had the small printed 'e' logo.

Do not believe that the larger embossed 'E' pickguard logo (as in your picture) was available until later, however it could be an aftermarket replacement pickguard.

The first Korean made Sheraton II's (between 1986 and 1988) had the 'Epiphone by Gibson' logo on the headstock, so I think it is safe to rule out these years of manufacture. Not sure if the headstock logo change was to reassociate the Epiphone brand with Gibson or to distinguish the Korean made models from the Japanese Matsumoku made models which were phased out in 1986 (I have an 86' Japanese Sheraton).

Hopefully someone else on the forum will be able to confirm this for you.

Sorry typo, that should say 99 not 89. But Samick did make some up to 2001. Roshambo if you're in any doubt, google Samick Sheraton bridge. You will also find out the rest of what I said is correct. AldoMcD1, it's not at all difficult to identify these without the serial number, in fact it helps because they were stuck on. And the large e on the guard is quite usual.

Thank you for the helpful replies. I expected the guitar to be from the very late eighties or early nineties, because as far as I know, they stopped using the serial number sticker around that time (instead printing the serial number on the headstock, directly on the finish). It doesn't look like somebody has scratched it off, but I might be wrong :).

Does anyone have some information on the headstock logo change, where they removed the 'long leg' on the letter n? My guitar has the long leg, and looking at pictures (random on google images), I see this on guitar up until 1996. This guitar (from 1997) is an example where the long leg is cut off:

http://www.anotheraverageguitarplayer.com/1997-epiphone-sheraton/

• 4 months later...

Hello fellow forum members

I recently got a second-hand Sheraton. So far, I've not been able to find out where and when it was built. I expect it to be built in Korea, and the guy who sold it to me, said it would be late eighties. Looking at the headstock epiphone-logo, the trussrod-cover and the lack of a serial number or country of manufacturing on the back of the headstock, he might be right. The thing that doesn't look correct for that era, is the E on the pickguard (which looks like it's from after 1995 or so).

What's your opinion, looking at the pictures?

Also see no sticker in the F-hole btw.

Thank you

post-52430-048411600 1527682681_thumb.jpg

post-52430-010776400 1527682689_thumb.jpg

post-52430-030330300 1527682698_thumb.jpg

Judging by bridge, headstock logo and other details it's a Samick-made (Korean) model made between 1989 and 1994.

Judging by bridge, headstock logo and other details it's a Samick-made (Korean) model made between 1989 and 1994.

Thank you

I was also under the impression that the headstock logo changed around the mid nineties sometime. One thing that wouldn't make sense for those years, is the E-logo on the pickguard. That makes me guess the E might have been replaced by a former owner.

Archived