Gibson Brands Forums

'59 J50 - any red flags

uncle fester

Hi folks, I'm fantasizing - but this one is driving distance. It's a 1959 J50 on Reverb, all original except a bridge fix / replacement. Would there be any red flags in spec (i.e. skinny neck, or long gage etc...) Also - from the pics is there anything that would concern anyone, or things I should absolutely check out, ask about before considering a guitar of this age.

I'm really doing this for education's sake - so pass if it's a bother, but again it is driving distance, and it is a beautiful day for a drive, and the price seems reasonable? Thanks for any input.

Rgds - billroy

Seems to be in overall very nice condition. Nothing comes to mind other than the guitar probably had an ADJ saddle (which became available as an option in 1956) which would explain the bridge replacement. The model is stamped on the center strip so if it was converted the "ADJ" should be there. The "S" in the FON is right for a 1959 and the single line "Deluxe" tuners what you would expect to find. The nut will be 1 11/16" and the neck carve a full roundback D. Based on the asking price, I would say a bit of haggling might be in order. One of these though will get you into Jorma and Lightnin' Hopkins territory.

Seems to be in overall very nice condition. Nothing comes to mind other than the guitar probably had an ADJ saddle (which became available as an option in 1956) which would explain the bridge replacement. The model is stamped on the center strip so if it was converted the "ADJ" should be there. The "S" in the FON is right for a 1959 and the single line "Deluxe" tuners what you would expect to find. The nut will be 1 11/16" and the neck carve a full roundback D. Based on the asking price, I would say a bit of haggling might be in order. One of these will get you into Jorma and Lightnin' Hopkins territory.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the input. I'm going to go play my new J45, and consider how an old J50 could compliment 'er. Rgds - billroy

Other than the dodgey looking bridge it looks very clean. I would make a reasonable offer taking into account what it will roughly cost you to fix the bridge. If he bites good if not move on.

Bring an inspection mirror with you - that replacement bridge may be hiding something - look at the bridge plate and the bridge pin holes, see if anything looks a bit larger than it does on your J-45. Take a look at wear on the frets and fret board - if it looks like there are finger divots in the bird, and the frets are worn, figure $400 to plane and sand and refret. Action in the photo looks high - by design? That's not the thru saddle the bridge was designed for. If it needs a re-set, figure another $500. So $4,200 even at that would not be too bad for a good player. Bought my 57 J-50 for $3,500, and now have $5,200 in it.

Bring an inspection mirror with you - that replacement bridge may be hiding something - look at the bridge plate and the bridge pin holes, see if anything looks a bit larger than it does on your J-45.

If the guitar is like those built starting in 1961 and had an ADJ saddle bridge it will have a large laminate bridge plate. If so, whether it is worn or not, I would replace it with a solid maple plate anyway.

Not sure it should be called a red flag, but I have a 1959 J-45 very close to the Southern Jumbo below. Must say I don't play it much.

Like the SJ it is rather tight and without the deep projection (excuse this inadequate phrase - hope U get what I mean) heard in my 1953 older sibling.

Still it's a 45 without no doubt - I just happen to prefer the ones from lounge, not the barn - and the 53'er definitely answers that call without losing 45-DNA.

Anyway - here's a fresh clip from that cühl lad working in, , , , what was the store's name again. Forman's Spare Sitars or something. . .

Enjoy

2018 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF07XstrflE

Archived