Gibson Brands Forums

Old L-0 with Soundhole Pickup - "Love In Vain"

BluesKing777

Just experimenting with a soundhole pickup (Fishman Neo_D Humbucker_ in my 37 L-0.... bottleneck...)

So I ran it to my Tonedexter preamp for the controls, a splash of old L50 sounds mixed in to the pickup sound, ran it all to the Boss VE8 for reverb and vocal with SM58.

I did another version of "Love In Vain" by Robert Johnson.

BluesKing777.

Nice BK! When I pull myself away from the listening - I get to wondering about the technical. With just a soundhole pickup - how far off is it in giving the sound you want (vs with the tonedexter). Is it really far off or could you get away with just the soundhole pickup straight into your mixer / amps...

I know you've given input before - but what is the learning curve on the tonedexter. Doesn't it take some figuring to get to working it?

Rgds -billroy

Nice BK! When I pull myself away from the listening - I get to wondering about the technical. With just a soundhole pickup - how far off is it in giving the sound you want (vs with the tonedexter). Is it really far off or could you get away with just the soundhole pickup straight into your mixer / amps...

I know you've given input before - but what is the learning curve on the tonedexter. Doesn't it take some figuring to get to working it?

Rgds -billroy

Yeah, thanks Billroy.

The Fishman Neo-D is a passive soundhole pickup and has very little level. So having any preamp with a bit of gain and tone is helpful. But you wouldn’t buy Tonedexter if this was your only pickup! But already having it is good, real good....level knob, bass, treble, blend, DI, line outs, nice lights! Tonedexter makers recommend NOT using soundhole pickups to make the image.

And without it, it sounded like a soundhole pickup, which to me I may as well play the Telecaster. So in the track above I used a sound image I made with my 35 L50 that has a bridge piezo pickup, and I mixed in about 75%. It still has the high string electric guitar sound of mag pickups but I used Tonedexter image as a ‘Super EQ’ to add a few old Gibson tones....

Tonedexter ease of use.... you need a good pickup in your guitar/s like K&K or Fishman passive undersaddle - with no internal mic, VTC, Lyric type units - the purer the pickup sound, the better the result. You also need a good little condenser micto point at the guitar. ( you plug both pickup AND mic in to Tonedexter and the software changes the sound of the pickup to more like the mic sound, then you save the file.).

BluesKing777.

Tonedexter ease of use.... you need a good pickup in your guitar/s like K&K or Fishman passive undersaddle - with no internal mic, VTC, Lyric type units - the purer the pickup sound, the better the result. You also need a good little condenser micto point at the guitar. ( you plug both pickup AND mic in to Tonedexter and the software changes the sound of the pickup to more like the mic sound, then you save the file.).

Thanks BK, appreciate the info. Tonedexter - another one of those things I don't really need, but I got to have it!

Thanks PrairieS and Doug!

Difficult?

It HAS taken a few weeks to get it...... [biggrin] .....and a few more, maybe 40 years?

The old guitar has developed ‘changeofseasonitis’ with a higher action, so into Open G Tuning it went with a set of Elixir 80/20s designed for gulp......Taylor. The 3 high strings are up 1 guage while the bass strings are the normal lights. For slide, the 1st string could go up a few more for smoother slide playing, but then normal fingering gets a bit irksome.

Edit: On listening back on Tuesday, I hear that I did the 3rd verse wrong - twice! Never record on a Monday! (Should be - 'when the train LEFT the station.....') I guess my train never left it! [unsure]

BluesKing777.

Thanks PrairieS and Doug!

Difficult?

It HAS taken a few weeks to get it...... [biggrin] .....and a few more, maybe 40 years?

The old guitar has developed ‘changeofseasonitis’ with a higher action, so into Open G Tuning it went with a set of Elixir 80/20s designed for gulp......Taylor. The 3 high strings are up 1 guage while the bass strings are the normal lights. For slide, the 1st string could go up a few more for smoother slide playing, but then normal fingering gets a bit irksome.

Edit: On listening back on Tuesday, I hear that I did the 3rd verse wrong - twice! Never record on a Monday! (Should be - 'when the train LEFT the station.....') I guess my train never left it! [unsure]

BluesKing777.

You performed it very well, and in the spirit of performers of who would indeed change lyrics and such at will. I figure it's just some flair and all is well. [thumbup]

Archived