Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie Cry for Help Re: Tremelo for CM

ArtwerkOrange

So, with a coupon in hand (about to expire), I did a search for affordable Gibsons and found the CM. Before you mention the robot tuners, I know the sentiment, but I have had zero problems with mine and kinda dig them, which likely puts me somewhere between pariah and outcast. Anyway, I want to try to make this guitar something I enjoy, since I will never get my money out of it. I ordered an LED Kill Switch (it may or may not go on Gibson), new knobs and now I want to add a trem. It looks like XTrem from Guitar Fetish will install with no top drilling and only optional drilling at strap lock. With the wraparound bridge is there a "best option" for this guitar? Plus it comes with nickel finish, which matches the bridge. I think a Les Trem would look good on this guitar, but that means busting out the drill and then no going back (I am also having top refinished, but that is another story). Anyone want to give the new guy some guidance, here. It would be greatly appreciated. You can even make fun of me, if that is any kind of motivation.

Sincere thanks.

Craig

post-91024-033362400 1528231698_thumb.jpg

So, with a coupon in hand (about to expire), I did a search for affordable Gibsons and found the CM. Before you mention the robot tuners, I know the sentiment, but I have had zero problems with mine and kinda dig them, which likely puts me somewhere between pariah and outcast. Anyway, I want to try to make this guitar something I enjoy, since I will never get my money out of it. I ordered an LED Kill Switch (it may or may not go on Gibson), new knobs and now I want to add a trem. It looks like XTrem from Guitar Fetish will install with no top drilling and only optional drilling at strap lock. With the wraparound bridge is there a "best option" for this guitar? Plus it comes with nickel finish, which matches the bridge. I think a Les Trem would look good on this guitar, but that means busting out the drill and then no going back (I am also having top refinished, but that is another story). Anyone want to give the new guy some guidance, here. It would be greatly appreciated. You can even make fun of me, if that is any kind of motivation.

Sincere thanks.

Craig

I dunno Craig, I've taken drills to guitars before. I did a perm install of a B7 on my ES135 which for some crazy reason, improved the sound over the cheesy stock trapeze tail piece, all that POS did was rattle.. There's no going back for sure. The good news here is, you're not laying waste to a $3k LP standard. Take your time, make it what ya want, it's only money (and it's not mine so......) :)

btw.. this: I have had zero problems with mine and kinda dig them, which likely puts me somewhere between pariah and outcast.

NICE!! thx for the laugh on that! I have never touched a gibby with auto tuners, so I've no idea what to expect. some guys that post here, love em.. so not so much of an outcast as you think. but a Pariah? but.. aint that the same thing?

I dunno Craig, I've taken drills to guitars before. I did a perm install of a B7 on my ES135 which for some crazy reason, improved the sound over the cheesy stock trapeze tail piece, all that POS did was rattle.. There's no going back for sure. The good news here is, you're not laying waste to a $3k LP standard. Take your time, make it what ya want, it's only money (and it's not mine so......) :)

btw.. this: I have had zero problems with mine and kinda dig them, which likely puts me somewhere between pariah and outcast.

NICE!! thx for the laugh on that! I have never touched a gibby with auto tuners, so I've no idea what to expect. some guys that post here, love em.. so not so much of an outcast as you think. but a Pariah? but.. aint that the same thing?

Very sound advice. It is only money and not a whole lot... I mean, even with my level of incompetence, I doubt I would destroy it to the point of zero value. As for Outcast v. Pariah -- a fine line I straddle, indeed.

Thanks, again.

Craig

As you're going to anyway.....I completely get your point about wanting to make it more enjoyable.

I say don't drill unless you absolutely have to.

But from the look of it you'd have to for a killswitch.

The X-trem should do it and I suppose the robot tuners will keep it in tune?

:-k

it does sound like the only real mod is the kill switch. Drilling the top out for that, if one takes their time, should not be a daunting task.

I'd go slow, make sure of the location, drill a small pilot hole first, then the sized hole needed. I find that a real small bit is less likely to slip than a larger.

OR,, you could find a guy, and have THEM do it, since they probably do this a number of times each and every day.

the knobs,, now there's one change that you would think would just be a 10 minute ordeal.. At least that was my thought when I wanted to put speed knobs on an SG classic in favor of top hat knobs.

That turned into a "WTF is going on!" event real quick. When I tried to get the knobs off, the shaft came right out of two of the pots. I managed to snap one back in but not the other. I wound up ditching what ever crappy pots gibson put in there, replacing all of them with CTS pots.

As you're going to anyway.....I completely get your point about wanting to make it more enjoyable.

I say don't drill unless you absolutely have to.

But from the look of it you'd have to for a killswitch.

The X-trem should do it and I suppose the robot tuners will keep it in tune?

:-k

But, do you think it folly to do anything to this guitar? I have only added one of two new knobs, which fit anything and I just bought new guitar last night, so that could eliminate my Trem itch, since it came with one. If I leave the Gibson alone, I won't play it, but if I sell it and take a huge hit, chances are with that money, I would just buy another guitar to mod so why not see if can make the Gibson work. ALL OF THE GREAT FEEDBACK HAS GOT ME THINKING. THANKS!!!

I'm not familiar with the Xtrem but have used and like the Duesenberg Les Trem. Pretty good no-drill replacement.

https://reverb.com/item/5901447-tremolo-duesenberg-les-trem-ii-tm85c-remplace-cordier-tailpiece-stoptail-lp-sg-chrome

That looks cool! from the vid he did, you can see the tuning stability is excellent. It has the same range of movement as a bigsby.

Seems a great alternative to the Vibramate/Bigsby setup which I have in use on one of me LP Standards. It's a nice kit to get you there with no changes. This is very close to that but seems a lot simpler concept. Unfortunately it wont fit in Craig's situation tho as the Gibson CM has no stop bar. That setup is a wrap Around bridge.

The Gibson CM image you are showing does not have a tune-o-matic bridge and a stop bar. If this is correct it has a one piece wrap around bridge, which means it will need a few mods to make a tremolo work. Including drilling and mounting screws.

LPCM15SESN1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

Most of the tremolos that require no drilling replace the stop bar on a tune-o-matic.

I put a Duesenberg Les Trem II on my Explorer, replacing the stop bar, in just a few minutes and it can dive about a full octave.

TM85N_15767f002e2f7f_600x600.jpg

The Gibson CM image you are showing does not have a tune-o-matic bridge and a stop bar. If this is correct it has a one piece wrap around bridge, which means it will need a few mods to make a tremolo work. Including drilling and mounting screws.

LPCM15SESN1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

Most of the tremolos that require no drilling replace the stop bar on a tune-o-matic.

I put a Duesenberg Les Trem II on my Explorer, replacing the stop bar, in just a few minutes and it can dive about a full octave.

TM85N_15767f002e2f7f_600x600.jpg

Right. So it is drill or nothing, then. If I do it right, what is the downside? A miracle occurs and the 2015 CM with G-Force is suddenly sponsored by the ghost of Prince and Jimi and Les Paul, himself, placing them in such demand people are willing to pay twice the value or more AS LONG AS THEY ARE ALL ORIGINAL. Or, I have some fun, try to make this thing cool, if only for me and it becomes a priceless procession in my growing collection of guitars, one that I actually play, because as it sits, it is not much fun. Maybe I can figure out a way to coil split and make the most out of the current single pickup. I remain, as always, open to feedback, suggestions, criticism, mockery, etc. Either way, it seems I am going to pay for my impulse purchase.

I am, however, having fun, thanks to all of you!!!

My experience has been that trying to make a guitar do what it didn't do when you bought it doesn't usually work out, and you end up buying the super whang bar'd ShredCaster anyway. I'd keep that single humbucked thing just like it is and get the bar and all the other stuff you want on a guitar that was built that way. It's always nice to pick up the other guitar that does that other thing well.

Good luck with it. That CM is a nice guitar.

rct

That looks cool! from the vid he did, you can see the tuning stability is excellent. It has the same range of movement as a bigsby.

Seems a great alternative to the Vibramate/Bigsby setup which I have in use on one of me LP Standards. It's a nice kit to get you there with no changes. This is very close to that but seems a lot simpler concept. Unfortunately it wont fit in Craig's situation tho as the Gibson CM has no stop bar. That setup is a wrap Around bridge.

Wow! Missed that completely! Thanks.

To OP, Please don't pay any attention to the crazy guy behind the curtain.

My experience has been that trying to make a guitar do what it didn't do when you bought it doesn't usually work out, and you end up buying the super whang bar'd ShredCaster anyway. I'd keep that single humbucked thing just like it is and get the bar and all the other stuff you want on a guitar that was built that way. It's always nice to pick up the other guitar that does that other thing well.

Good luck with it. That CM is a nice guitar.

rct

Thanks. That made me feel better. Most people act as if I bought a guitar shaped chalkboard made of lead and with a 1980s handheld electronic football game glued to the back. I am thinking bout sticking with some cosmetic mods only. Easy stuff, like changing knobs and maybe trying to clean up the weird chalk-looking striations on the top. BTW, the back of the guitar and the neck are amazing. Solid black satin. So smooth and playable. Not sure the logic behind the hideous top, but there must be some people who like it.

Thanks, again, for your positive feedback.

Craig

Archived