Gibson Brands Forums

Not a Gibson But It Has the Heart Of One

zombywoof

I just finished up the haggling over a guitar - a mid-1950s Harmony. But not just any Harmony. This is perhaps the rarest post-War flattop out there. What sets it apart is it sports a pickup, in this case a Gibson P-13. Interesting in that like the Gibson CF-100E, Harmony chose to move the soundhole south to make room for the pickup. But because of the size of the pickup, they extended the fingerboard over the pickup so the poles poke through it like the hybrid National/Gibson 1155E. It is a bit toasty and needs a neck reset (surprise, surprise) but nothing that cannot be fixed over time. Plus the cool factor is off the charts.

Harmonh_H40-3.jpg

Hey Cabarone. I had a bone ADJ saddle put on that B45-12. Lawdy, what a difference between it and the stock wood one.

That's why I made a similar switch on a J-45 back about 45 years ago. Sort of like taking out the socks stuffed inside.

That's why I made a similar switch on a J-45 back about 45 years ago. Sort of like taking out the socks stuffed inside.

I had tried both tusq and ceramic saddles on my '63 B45-12 but liked neither and ended up going back to the original wood saddle.

Had not tried a bone ADJ saddle though. Bigger difference than I would have thought. It is like there is just more of the guitar.

Archived