Gibson Brands Forums

3 humbucker polarity question

fedehc

Hello everyone!

Sorry for my English first, is not my language hahah

I was wondering what is the polarity on a gibson les paul custom black beauty with 3 humbuckers?

And the pick ups are wound all the same direction?

I'm trying to modify my guitar adding another buckers

Thank you all guys

Hello everyone!

Sorry for my English first, is not my language hahah

I was wondering what is the polarity on a gibson les paul custom black beauty with 3 humbuckers?

And the pick ups are wound all the same direction?

I'm trying to modify my guitar adding another buckers

Thank you all guys

Here is what an SG looks like with 3 pickups.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SGS3-2015.aspx

Sorry but this doesn't answer to my question 😉

What do you want to know the polarity of the start and finish of both windings of the humbucker. I think if you install another hum you don't need to worry about polarity. Its not like installing singlecoils that can be RWRP.

• 2 months later...

I understand that Gibson's humbuckers are normally South on the screws and North on the slugs.

The exception were the old stereo's like ES-345, where one on the pickup had a reversed magnet orientation. This gave the "Peter Green" trebly sound. The reversed was done so that if you used a two channel amp, one pickup on one channel and the other on the second channel, the output from the amp would be in-phase. Two channel amps were 180 degrees out-of-phase to each other.

However, nothing is consistent with Gibson ... this is just my observation through the years. It is best to check the magnetic orientation of your actual pickups before you wire them. I wouldn't trust the color coding of the wires either. rolleyes.gif

Archived