Gibson Brands Forums

Homecoming

Hogeye

Well It was one of those memorable moments. Eldon Whitford, friend Mike, and I met in the lobby of the Grantree and we went out to the patio where the "Homecoming" folks were gathering. No one was expecting to see Eldon as he was in Bozeman on personal business not connected with the "Homecoming". I managed to get him free for a couple of hours and he agreed to come to the meet and greet. Val Bolitho was chatting with old friends and I told her to turn around and look at who was here. Well needless to say there was a lot of hugging and such going on.

Eldon was his wonderful old self and to add to the fun Ren Ferguson and his lovely wife walked in. Talk about old friends meeting after a long absence. This was a truly fun moment. It was wonderful to see old friends get together again. Eldon was kind enough to sign some of the folks "Fabulous Flat-Top- books and we all enjoyed a very pleasant Montana Spring evening.

Dave from Salt Lake stopped by and we sat around and had a nice catch-up. Dave is a wonderful guitar player and he always enjoys playing my 12th fret J-45. I had some bad news from Duluthdan. His dog Powder injured her hip and they may not make it this year. I really looked forward to having a dog in the back yard. My two are off on an adventure to North Carolina. My Border Terrier Otis is visiting his mom at the North Carolina kennel where we got him and then they went to stay with Lynn's mom for a couple of weeks. I hope Dan can make it up as he is sorely missed.

We always have a few sad moments as Mike G. "The guitarstrummer" isn't here and we lost a wonderful friend in RAR a few years ago. Mike G. is the guy that organized the very first "Homecoming". Mike and his family are wonderful folks and we will see him back on his feet soon.

Well today is the first day of the "Homecoming" and the folks at Music Villa and Gibson have a full schedule for them. So.... Mike G. get back up here soon. Dan Take good care of your pooch. Eldon Bless you for being such a nice guy. Ren the "Homecoming" wouldn't be the same without you. The folks are so excited to tour your new shop.

This may go down as one of the very best "Homecomings" and anyone that doesn't make plans to be here next year is really missing out on a wonderful time.

More later

From beautiful downtown Bozeman,

Hogeye

Nice report, Hogeye! I remember my first Homecoming, back in '06; Mike organized it, we had wonderful tours of the plant and got to meet the staff at the meet-greet evening. Many of us met for the first time at that one.

I ended up with a 'you-can't-refuse-THIS-deal' price from Paul Decker of Music Villa on a new J-185 at that HC... wish I could do THAT again!! [biggrin]

I think that was the only Homecoming where they let us try our hand at sunbursting guitars under the watchful eyes of Van F.

Have a great time, you-all!

Fred

Nice report, Hogeye! I remember my first Homecoming, back in '06; Mike organized it, we had wonderful tours of the plant and got to meet the staff at the meet-greet evening. Many of us met for the first time at that one.

I ended up with a 'you-can't-refuse-THIS-deal' price from Paul Decker of Music Villa on a new J-185 at that HC... wish I could do THAT again!! [biggrin]

I think that was the only Homecoming where they let us try our hand at sunbursting guitars under the watchful eyes of Van F.

Have a great time, you-all!

Fred

We're missing you and Tina Fred. Paul has remolded the store and it looks terrific. He is still making amazing deals and remember there is no sales tax in Montana. The Yamaha clinic with Carl Tosten was amazing. The boy can play guitar. One of the "Homecoming" folks John G. won the Yamaha give-away guitar.

I remember the guitar you sunburst. It was by far the best job. That was a ton of fun. You would hardly recognize Ren. He has lost a lot of weight and looks like a twenty year old kid. Retirement is doing great things for him. Same for Val.

The management of Gibson met with the folks and were vey upbeat with the company and it's future. It's very reassuring for sure. They are good folks and to be trusted.

I hope Dan and his pup Powder make it out tomorrow. I know he will make it a good try as he is anxious to play in the Bob R. (RAR) open mike.

From beautiful downtown Bozeman,

Hogeye

I guess this is the last report from the Homecoming. Saturday was Martin day at Music Villa a great event.

Duluth Dan pulled into town and called. He brought his wonderful dog Powder over and she had a nice time. I have a pigeon with a bad wing and Powder was fascinated with her and all her friends. Powder has a bad hip and loved the fresh cut grass and shade. I wanted to keep her but Dan was very diplomatic and politely said no. Ha....

My pal Eldon and his friend Mike came over to buy some of my wood. We sat in the back yard and had a wonderful chat. Dan got one of Eldon's books and Eldon signed it for him. He also signed one for Dave from Salt Lake. Powder just sat in the shade next Dan and never moved. She was cool and content. Eldon and I drove to Livingston and Mike went to Music Villa to see his long time friend and Martin rep Larry B.

We all got together for the last Homecoming event, the open mike, in the hospitality suite provided for by THe Grantree. It was really a good one as everyone has been spending a lot of time working on their material. Very enjoyable. Everyone is reluctant to go home as we all know it will be a year before we get together again. I'll be seeing Slimt later this summer and Carl Tosten will be back in a month. Dave from Salt Lake will be staying with us this fall to tour Yellowstone. I hope Dan and Powder will be regulars as well. Powder will get her operation this Fall and will be just fine. She went to the open Mike and we all got to pet her and remember our own pets at home.

Well I'm going out to the Grantree and help Dan hitch up his trailer and he will be the last one off.

A special shout out from everyone to out brother Mike G. We will never forget all the hard work he did getting the Homecoming up an running. We all miss Mike and his wonderful family. We actually watched his daughter grow up and go to college.

I know the folks at Gibson invites everyone on the Forum to come to Bozeman and meet everyone. So....... There's always next year.

Hope to see you in beautiful downtown Bozeman,

Hogeye

Tip o’ the hat for all the hospitality. I have a few Hogeyeisms I need to post:

- I had a lifetime supply of that, but I never planned on living this long.

- as we age, it is sometimes hard to find words. That’s called “denouncification”.

- “hey, what do you suppose this yellow mark is from on this wood?”

“Smells like skunk pee...”

“Hmmmm. What’s it taste like?”

Thanks Hogeye for the hospitality, Powder and I had a hoot. I purposely never played your Banner, Eldon said it’s the best guitar he’s ever played, and I didn’t want to give myself nightmares about my present stable and have to plan an impossible hunt for such a guitar. I am too old and tired to undertake such a quest.

Fair warning to all, when Hogeye says he really doesn’t make all that good a cup of coffee, he ain’t lyin’ !!! (Ha)

I have a few Hogeyeisms I need to post:

- as we age, it is sometimes hard to find words. That’s called “denouncification”.

"Quit yer yappin' and start playin'!"

[biggrin]

I hope to get to heaven (Bozeman) before I die.

As do I. It's truly on my bucket list, and retirement is getting closer every day.

My plan is to head on out to Oregon because I was there for a bit when I was a kid and have some fond memories of it as well.

Glad everybody had a good time.

[thumbup]

Tip o’ the hat for all the hospitality. I have a few Hogeyeisms I need to post:

Thanks Hogeye for the hospitality, Powder and I had a hoot. I purposely never played your Banner, Eldon said it’s the best guitar he’s ever played, and I didn’t want to give myself nightmares about my present stable and have to plan an impossible hunt for such a guitar. I am too old and tired to undertake such a quest.

Fair warning to all, when Hogeye says he really doesn’t make all that good a cup of coffee, he ain’t lyin’ !!! (Ha)

Ha... I tried to warn you about the coffee.

Ya that pesky old banner. It has ruined many a player. I got it from Eldon and I will never know why he gave it to me.

You folks should know that Dan has the sweetest pooch around. Can't wait 'til he brings her back. We will sit in the back yard and Lynn will make the coffee. Most folks drink my coffee once and then ask for a beer. We will play the Banner and the legend will grow.

Safe travels Dan. Hope to see ya soon....

I just caught up and read the Hogeye threads.

Seems to me Bozeman and its citizenry, corporate and human, represent the best of our nation. I am sorry I miss these things. One day.

Thanks for the writeups Hog, and thank you Gibson for making guitars that just feel like home.

icyJgcY.jpg Eldon Whitford autographs his book for me, Powder at one of the song circles looking at me like "Boss, there's somebody here playing a banjo !"

YTBVTSq.jpg

There's more, but I am in the middle of North Dakota and my download speed is s--l--o--w.

I just caught up and read the Hogeye threads.

Seems to me Bozeman and its citizenry, corporate and human, represent the best of our nation. I am sorry I miss these things. One day.

Thanks for the writeups Hog, and thank you Gibson for making guitars that just feel like home.

Bozeman is a cool place...

icyJgcY.jpg Eldon Whitford autographs his book for me, Powder at one of the song circles looking at me like "Boss, there's somebody here playing a banjo !"

YTBVTSq.jpg

There's more, but I am in the middle of North Dakota and my download speed is s--l--o--w.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.. have a safe trip..

1528766579[/url]' post='1939863']

YTBVTSq.jpg

Watch out those North Dakota police pull you over for anything

YTBVTSq.jpg

The guy in the middle of the photo,with the beard, is Ren Ferguson. The guy with the banjo is Dave from Salt Lake City. A wonderful guitar player. Lots of fun going on and Powder is right in the middle of the action. Colorado chick... The guy with the white J-200 is a fine player but and even better singer and He makes the trip from California. The guy with his back to the camera and purple shirt is from Washington State and never misses a Homecoming.

I'm telling you folks this as folks come from all over the country just to be here. Of course Dan and Powder are from Colorado and Eldon is from Michigan.

We usually get a couple of Canadians and was hoping to see SlimT but he will show up sometime soon.

Next year will be better....

Archived