Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG0 1958 vs Yamaha 365S

shaspar

Hi guys, how are you doing? I have the opportunity to travel to Buenos Aires (i'm from Arg) this weekend and I am between these two guitars, I understand that the gibson has the smallest box, but I read that it is very comfortable. The Yamaha is a nice option too, it has a solid lid and it's the old one. (I also have the possibility to do the same with an LG 0 of the year 1965)

I do not know which to stay, on the one hand the Gibson brand always threw me, I have an epi lp custom korea 93 with dimarzio and ds with a new bridge that I propose to change for the gibson plus silver up, and on the other side I have the twine to buy me the yamaha and not permute any instrument.

Wises, help me please!

A cordial greeting !

I personally travel with small bodied circa 2014 or so Epiphone EL-00 Pro leaving my small bodied Gibson 1965 LG1 and 1965 Epiphone FT30/Caballero (same as a LG-0 for the most part) at home, safe. The EL-00 does the job, plays well and is inexpensively replaceable if needed. The LG1 and Caballero are a different matter.

Just my experience to consider.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

What Jedzep says: play them, and decide.

The 1958 LG-O will probably have a slightly wider fretboard than a 1965, which many people prefer.

The LG-O has the same body as the LG-1, LG-2, and LG-3, but is of all mahogany construction, including the top.

At the time, it was Gibson's lowest-price flat-top, and was considered a "student" guitar, rather than a performer's instrument. Times have changed, however, and the ladder-braced Gibsons such as the LG-0 and LG-1 are seen as having more appeal by many.

1958 was the first year of production of the LG-O. In the US, and LG-O from that period, in good condition, is probably worth about $750.

Thanks for your replies!

I have a Gibson LG0 1960 in perfect condition but the price is 1700 uss. Would you pay that?

No. For that money, you can buy a recent-model J-45 standard in excellent condition. If you are interested in a guitar as a musical instrument, the newer J-45 is likely to be a much better guitar.

Vintage doesn't necessarily mean good.

At most, the vintage LG-O is worth half that asking price.

Not knowing what the acoustic guitar market is like in Argentina - and considering the likelihood that Gibson guitars are less plentifu there than they are here - the price question is hard to field. LG1s have been increasing in price. In excellent condition -mid-60s go for around $1,200 here. And, as j45N pointed out, J45s go for around $1,800. A lot of that is 'supply and demand'. If the one you're considering is in excellent condition - it may well be worth the price. But, I'd get an expert to confirm the condition. Assuming you don't want to pay 50% more for a much 'better' guitar.

Archived