Gibson Brands Forums

Battery op'd Portables

kidblast

Just kidding.

Like I said, I've been researching these since day 1. I think you'll dig it once you realize it's purpose and limitations.

Be sure and tell us ALL about it when you get it.

Best of luck.

thx Murph. I wasn't even thinking in this direction. I was that close to going with (prob) two of the Behringer 200w powered AC/DC speakers. I'd have use for them beyond these upcoming weddings. But this thing at 16 lbs and DC capable, can't beat that for portable gear. If for some crazy reason it doesn't fly, I can return it and go with the original plan but, it's hard to imagine a Bose product that fails to exceed expectations.

Bill yea,, I guess that's how it works out huh? fathers day Gear Fest... what's not to love??? right?!?!

so this came yesterday late morning. I was able to take the lunch hour for a quick check, then later in the afternoon was able to have a closer lookout side on our deck

I tried all positions. Floor standing straight up, / leaning back and also resting on it's side like a floor monitor, as well as on speaker stand. It does sort of adjust the EQ based on where it is positioned.

For something that is about the size of a freaking toaster, it's pretty amazing. As one would expect with anything from Bose, the sound is crystal clear and precise. The volume rises is gradual from 0 to 10 o'clock. things change real fast as you approach the detente at the 12 o'clock setting. eg: it gets loud fast. as you go past the detente in to the 2/3 o'clock setting, the guitar will just start to feed back since your of course right on top of it..

The EQ... the tone match selector makes a huge difference. Off is very bass heavy and not well defined. Switching tone match between guitar and voice, I do hear a difference. And yes, to my ears, the guitar setting does work the best. I have not tried a vocal mic yet. Since piezo's are a bit bright, I found you do have to back off the treble setting, 10 o'clock seems to let plenty of highs through. Bass seems right just about at 1 o'clock or close to it.

It would have probably made a difference in the overall EQ if they had a full three way EQ. (Bass, Mid, Treble) but you can dial in what you need with Treb and Bass.

The onboard reverb sounds good with out getting squishy, it does give some nice depth and ambiance.

I tried my J200 (Fishman Inifinty) and my Taylor Nylon (Taylor Expression system). I was able to dial in quite comparable sounds between this and my loud box artist with these guitars.

I also slaved the BOSE S1 off the mix DI of my Loud box. With the loudbox set just off the floor, a bit behind me to the one side and with the Bose on a pole, on the opposite side about 4 feet off the ground angled to the right, I got a very full, robust natural sound (Stereo to boot! sic!)

The Bose alone does sound very good, I believe it would definitely cover a small gig. like in my case, these out side wedding services, or an outside patio at a restaurant. If ya needed more push, you could use this along with a something like a loudbox and it would get the job done. however if you're playing in a rowdy bar on a Saturday night,, I don't think you'll cover it with this. I can't say for sure, but I think crowd noise in place like that would bury you. But for what I intended to use this for, I think it'll definitely do the job. at 16 lbs, it's real easy on the back.

It also paired right up with my S7, and streamed music sounded very good. there's no EQ options for the inline, bluetooth, so you'd want to use your phone's sound settings. The sucker is LOUD.

So far, very happy with this, I think it will do exactly the job I purchased it for.

thx for the heads up Murph. Hope you can score one soon. You'll dig it.

so this came yesterday late morning. I was able to take the lunch hour for a quick check, then later in the afternoon was able to have a closer lookout side on our deck

I tried all positions. Floor standing straight up, / leaning back and also resting on it's side like a floor monitor, as well as on speaker stand. It does sort of adjust the EQ based on where it is positioned.

For something that is about the size of a freaking toaster, it's pretty amazing. As one would expect with anything from Bose, the sound is crystal clear and precise. The volume rises is gradual from 0 to 10 o'clock. things change real fast as you approach the detente at the 12 o'clock setting. eg: it gets loud fast. as you go past the detente in to the 2/3 o'clock setting, the guitar will just start to feed back since your of course right on top of it..

The EQ... the tone match selector makes a huge difference. Off is very bass heavy and not well defined. Switching tone match between guitar and voice, I do hear a difference. And yes, to my ears, the guitar setting does work the best. I have not tried a vocal mic yet. Since piezo's are a bit bright, I found you do have to back off the treble setting, 10 o'clock seems to let plenty of highs through. Bass seems right just about at 1 o'clock or close to it.

It would have probably made a difference in the overall EQ if they had a full three way EQ. (Bass, Mid, Treble) but you can dial in what you need with Treb and Bass.

The onboard reverb sounds good with out getting squishy, it does give some nice depth and ambiance.

I tried my J200 (Fishman Inifinty) and my Taylor Nylon (Taylor Expression system). I was able to dial in quite comparable sounds between this and my loud box artist with these guitars.

I also slaved the BOSE S1 off the mix DI of my Loud box. With the loudbox set just off the floor, a bit behind me to the one side and with the Bose on a pole, on the opposite side about 4 feet off the ground angled to the right, I got a very full, robust natural sound (Stereo to boot! sic!)

The Bose alone does sound very good, I believe it would definitely cover a small gig. like in my case, these out side wedding services, or an outside patio at a restaurant. If ya needed more push, you could use this along with a something like a loudbox and it would get the job done. however if you're playing in a rowdy bar on a Saturday night,, I don't think you'll cover it with this. I can't say for sure, but I think crowd noise in place like that would bury you. But for what I intended to use this for, I think it'll definitely do the job. at 16 lbs, it's real easy on the back.

It also paired right up with my S7, and streamed music sounded very good. there's no EQ options for the inline, bluetooth, so you'd want to use your phone's sound settings. The sucker is LOUD.

So far, very happy with this, I think it will do exactly the job I purchased it for.

thx for the heads up Murph. Hope you can score one soon. You'll dig it.

Awesome! So right out of the box it passes muster, will be interested in your experiences mic’d Up on battery in a room full of people - expect it will be very good as well, enjoy!

I think it depends on how big or how full the room is. I believe it can handle itself in small intimate surrounding.

a pub filled with 70 drunks, doubt it.

I think it depends on how big or how full the room is. I believe it can handle itself in small intimate surrounding.

a pub filled with 70 drunks, doubt it.

Bingo.

Having gigged bars for decades and decades it doesn't matter what you have. That's why they make 1000 watt (and more now) bass amps and stuff. You simply can't overcome a room full of drinkers, I used to be one I know.

I have just about given up on doing acoustic stuff in bars, it just doesn't work as well when people are drinking. Sober people are best for acoustic stuff, because they usually WANT to hear it and you COULD actually do some small coffee shops without ANY amp.

If 40/60/80 people WANT to hear you, it doesn't take a wall full of gear, just a good quality sound.

Man, what a great report, I'm happy for you. I knew that should be a very cool rig for a LOT of things and hope to own one soon.

Having gigged bars for decades and decades it doesn't matter what you have. That's why they make 1000 watt (and more now) bass amps and stuff. You simply can't overcome a room full of drinkers, I used to be one I know.

I have just about given up on doing acoustic stuff in bars, it just doesn't work as well when people are drinking. Sober people are best for acoustic stuff, because they usually WANT to hear it and you COULD actually do some small coffee shops without ANY amp.

Exactly..

I've played a few pubs with another guy we brought in a pretty good sized set of speakers, sound board, amp... all the fixins... One of the rooms we thougth would work great.. but had a lot of trouble with keeping up with the room noise.

People in the back wanted us to turn up... people in up front wanted is to turn down. no one thought for 1 second to STFU and listen. We gave up after three gigs.. it just wasn't gonna work, ever. all the guys that played there had the same problem. Full Bar, Crowd noise close to 85DB before you even played a single chord.

That same bar has a patio dining area outside (really nice setup) I played there like three of four times with a small PA setup. But here, this S1 would probably do it, and for sure the Loudbox with the S1 slaved would cover it. People were mostly keeping to quiet conversation and "listening" what a concept huh?

To bad the ownership changed and the place tanked.. been closed since January.

But I know that wedding ceremony's will be cake with this. Only competition noise wise will be wind and birds.

I can also use it with the music work I'm involved in for our parish.

again Murph thanks for pointing this out. it's pretty awesome

Afternoon gigs in a pub with acoustic are the only way to go

Afternooners do actually work, I think it's because drinkers pace themselves better in the early afternoon. I sorta did when I drank.

Well, sometimes...….

if I could retire,, that would be how I'd beat back boredom. but I can't not yet anyway.

I can't yet either, daughter is starting College this Fall.

I gotta say, this day job crap is really time consuming.

another update

Spent a few hours using both guitar and mic.. Again, very usable on it's own. You can pretty much stand in front of it, as long as you are mindful of the EQ and it wont squeal from the vocal mic. Easy to get a good balance with the vocal and guitar. The onboard reverb is plenty to give you the room to add some ambiance vocally as well. Standing in front is almost like you a have headphones on, Clear as a bell to. No way this wont work in the setting I'm planning.

I also went the additional step and slaved it off the fishman, with the gutiar / mic into the loudbox, and the DI out to the Bose to simulate a larger solo setup. This works real good too but the loudbox will squeal a bit, so you gotta play with the EQ setting. but, it can get plenty LOUD enough in this setup as long as it's not a noisey bar room..

If placed on a stand about shoulder height, it seems the S1 Definitely would cover a small coffee shop, or restaurant / patio sort of gig on it's own, or paired with a amp like a loudbox artists there's probably a lot one can do with the S1 and something like a loud box Artist or even mini.

Load in / setup / load out could not be easier. Beats two power PA speakers, Stands, sound board, and all the required cables by a mile. It's a hit. Gotta try it out side some time soon. I need someone with me to gauge the sound/volume and coverage tho.

Man, I'm really happy for you and glad it's going to work for you. Gotta love a return policy where you can test drive stuff for a few days.

I'm getting one as soon as things get back to normal, assuming they ever do, whatever that is...

I'm getting one as soon as things get back to normal, assuming they ever do, whatever that is...

Murph, with a daughter starting college (believe you mentioned earlier) - I say get it now. Keep digging before you realize how deep the hole is!

Hey Ray, Just wondered if you've got any further chances to play around and any further input on your reviews. Also, how's the battery working out, how long to recharge it - have you got a feel yet?

Rgds -billroy

I ventured out of the house with it for one light rehearsal about 2 weeks ago. It did a real good job keeping up. it was cool not having to worry about a power cable! :)

Archived